Holidays

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
olgitgooner

Holidays

Post by olgitgooner »

In these dark and dismal days of the European winter I am thinking of sunshine and sea. I'm thinking of a nice holiday soon. Either the Canaries or Egypt.

What places do you lot like, or would like to go to?

A11M11

Re: Holidays

Post by A11M11 »

Depends what you are looking for . If you want to just get some sun and eat and drink al fresco then the Canaries are fine but if it's a cultural tour under heavy security Egypt has a lot more going for it.

REB

Post by REB »

majorca booked for july, if this counts as a holiday then i have london booked in two weeks time for the arsenal :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Egypt is awesome. Go see the pyramids (everyone should do this at least once in their lifetime) and the Cairo Museum.

All the armed security police take a bit of getting used to but after a while they blend into the background. Do not pay to go into the Great Pyramid of Khufu. It is empty and eats up about an hour of your time walking down and back up an empty stone corridor. Do not pay for a camel ride or a posed photo shaking hands with guy dressed up in Arab Sheikh gear at the pyramids. They often won't let you off the camel until you stump up more money and the handshake guys pump iron and have a steely grip and will not let go until you... yep, stump up more money. The police are supposed to stop this shit but don't. Luckily we'd gone there by cruise ship from Ayia Napa and the cruise director had warned us in advance about the rip-offs and scams. Hell of an experience though. 8) 8)

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down. The pyramids are on the edge of a horrible town. Look one way and you get sweeping desert vistas. Look the other way and you get Walsall with sun and flies.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down. The pyramids are on the edge of a horrible town. Look one way and you get sweeping desert vistas. Look the other way and you get Walsall with sun and flies.
Fucking hell, that's a shit thing to post. You've met every Egyptian to back that statement? :|

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Moved house 6 weeks or so ago so not sure what sort of holiday this year might be camping in Cornwall :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:Moved house 6 weeks or so ago so not sure what sort of holiday this year might be camping in Cornwall :?
Must. Not. Must. Not.

Oh I gotta - ooooohhh Matron! :gayflag:

:lol: :wink:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Off to Australia for a couple of weeks in 10 days time.
Definately some winter sun for me

:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:Off to Australia for a couple of weeks in 10 days time.
Definately some winter sun for me

:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:
You going near Brisbane? Lived there for 15 years as a kid. If so also visit Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast and Surfers Paradise. Surfers is very touristy and always was but it's a lot of fun. Do not climb Uluru, or Ayers Rock, if you visit. The local Aborigine people find it disrespectful.

Enjoy you lucky bastard. :lol: 8)

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down. The pyramids are on the edge of a horrible town. Look one way and you get sweeping desert vistas. Look the other way and you get Walsall with sun and flies.
Fucking hell, that's a shit thing to post. You've met every Egyptian to back that statement? :|

Do I need to have met every single Egyptian to form an opinion of them?

Our coach driver stopped by the side of the road, squatted, had a shit and climbed back aboard. We soon learned we had to keep our windows shut as, wherever we went people were putting their hands in and trying to nick anything they could reach. In the Cairo museum we queued in horrendous temperatures for two hours to see the Tutenkhamen exhibition and when we got to the door the bloke said it was closing for lunch. When we complained he told us to fuck off (imschi!!).If we went anywhere near a shop or market stall or street vendor they would grab our arm and it was a ruck to get away. We took pictures of the pyramids and had endless fucking men trying to extort money off of us because they claimed that they, their camels or their donkeys were in the photos. My mate bought a bottle of Coke and when he took the top off there was a dead fly in it. He complained and said he wanted another one and they told him to fuck off. The blonde girl that was in our party was harassed everywhere she went.
I felt that the people in general look down on non-Arabs and are only interested in parting us from our money.
You may have had a lovely time; we didn't.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Have just booked our hols for June

We wanted a beachy type this year as did Malta for a week and had a crap hotel and then New York in November which was fab but very hectic.

We researched Cape Verde, but got put off from reviews.

Considered Maderia, but found a delightful place in Sardina, which we have sorted, now just have the car hire to do, as it is a small island and quire remote in terms of transport.

If anyone is looking for a new place to go would highly recommend Croatia, superb scenery, coastine and Dubrovnik is delightful - they all speak English as they get taught at school form the age of 6.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Friends of mine went to Croatia two years running and told me it was excellent and cheap.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

olgitgooner wrote:Friends of mine went to Croatia two years running and told me it was excellent and cheap.
It is. Dubrovnik is stunning. Can't recommend it more highly.

Myself, I'm off to Jamaica potentially come March. Looking at staying at Goldeneye, which as a Bond fan, would be incredible.