Holidays

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Holidays

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

Do I need to have met every single Egyptian to form an opinion of them?

Our coach driver stopped by the side of the road, squatted, had a shit and climbed back aboard. We soon learned we had to keep our windows shut as, wherever we went people were putting their hands in and trying to nick anything they could reach. In the Cairo museum we queued in horrendous temperatures for two hours to see the Tutenkhamen exhibition and when we got to the door the bloke said it was closing for lunch. When we complained he told us to fuck off (imschi!!).If we went anywhere near a shop or market stall or street vendor they would grab our arm and it was a ruck to get away. We took pictures of the pyramids and had endless fucking men trying to extort money off of us because they claimed that they, their camels or their donkeys were in the photos. My mate bought a bottle of Coke and when he took the top off there was a dead fly in it. He complained and said he wanted another one and they told him to fuck off. The blonde girl that was in our party was harassed everywhere she went.
I felt that the people in general look down on non-Arabs and are only interested in parting us from our money.
You may have had a lovely time; we didn't.
Well, yeah, you do actually. You called an entire race "horrible" and thieves ffs. Whilst it's not racist as such, it is xenophobic and sweeping racial stereotyping, based on your limited encounters of (most likely) poverty stricken, desperate people, and maybe a couple of arseholes.

By your standard, my old man who lived and worked in London in the late 1960's would have been within his rights to call all English people "lazy, dirty, racist, thieving scum with bad teeth" because, guess what, he met a lot of them that were like that. But no, being an educated and tolerant man, he didn't think that way because he had not met all of you. I lived and worked in London in 1990-91 and I met a lot of English people that were ignorant, racist, lazy, dole-sponging, scumbags - but I never for a moment thought "well that's the English for you". :roll:

One thing I have learned in my vast travels on this planet is that every country is more or less the same; they have good people, they have bad people. They have nice people and they have arseholes.

Maybe best to just let this one lie, mate - because tbh it's not painting you in a very good light. :|

I don't think you need to be so sensitive, nor should you twist what I said. I didn't say they were all thieves, so you shouldn't suggest it. I simply explained what happened to me while we were driving around Cairo in a coach.
The thread is about holidays, not a sociological diatribe and I explained what my holiday in Egypt was like. I've been to quite a few countries and I agree that people can be good, bad and in between, but I've not been to a country where so many of the people I encountered were so horrible, and while I'm sure there are some lovely people there, we didn't meet any of them.
I'm not being sensitive. I do find what you wrote to be offensive though tbh. And I am not twisting your words at all. You wrote;

"Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down".

What other way is there to read that?
You sure it wasn't Liverpool you went to on Holiday :rubchin: :? :lol:
A). Not helping. Can we please not blow this one out of proportion?

B). where in the name of fuck have you been, mate??!!! :shock: :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Well, yeah, you do actually. You called an entire race "horrible" and thieves ffs. Whilst it's not racist as such, it is xenophobic and sweeping racial stereotyping, based on your limited encounters of (most likely) poverty stricken, desperate people, and maybe a couple of arseholes.

By your standard, my old man who lived and worked in London in the late 1960's would have been within his rights to call all English people "lazy, dirty, racist, thieving scum with bad teeth" because, guess what, he met a lot of them that were like that. But no, being an educated and tolerant man, he didn't think that way because he had not met all of you. I lived and worked in London in 1990-91 and I met a lot of English people that were ignorant, racist, lazy, dole-sponging, scumbags - but I never for a moment thought "well that's the English for you". :roll:

One thing I have learned in my vast travels on this planet is that every country is more or less the same; they have good people, they have bad people. They have nice people and they have arseholes.

Maybe best to just let this one lie, mate - because tbh it's not painting you in a very good light. :|

I don't think you need to be so sensitive, nor should you twist what I said. I didn't say they were all thieves, so you shouldn't suggest it. I simply explained what happened to me while we were driving around Cairo in a coach.
The thread is about holidays, not a sociological diatribe and I explained what my holiday in Egypt was like. I've been to quite a few countries and I agree that people can be good, bad and in between, but I've not been to a country where so many of the people I encountered were so horrible, and while I'm sure there are some lovely people there, we didn't meet any of them.
I'm not being sensitive. I do find what you wrote to be offensive though tbh. And I am not twisting your words at all. You wrote;

"Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down".

Thought that was allowed on here and funny tbf, well having quickly caught up on some posts it's funnier than most :lol:

Been busy mate and travelling, off to Copenhagen next week then over to Sweden to stay with one of my brothers.

How have you been mate, hope the family are all well 8)

I see we are closer to winning the title (how the fuck are we second :lol: )

With regard holidays to the question posed by olgit, Mexico is a great destination if you don't mind the long flight and the best value for money I've had, I went to the Maldives last year in March and that was great too but a lot of flying, again went to Thailand this time of year but long flights, I'm off to Canary Islands in March with some friends, only been once and didn't think much of it that time but was with the father in law in a villa and he was proper depressed, actually me and his son got him drunk and lost him :shock: Found him a few hours later thankfully.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

Thought that was allowed on here and funny tbf, well having quickly caught up on some posts it's funnier than most :lol:

Been busy mate and travelling, off to Copenhagen next week then over to Sweden to stay with one of my brothers.

How have you been mate, hope the family are all well 8)

I see we are closer to winning the title (how the fuck are we second :lol: )

With regard holidays to the question posed by olgit, Mexico is a great destination if you don't mind the long flight and the best value for money I've had, I went to the Maldives last year in March and that was great too but a lot of flying, again went to Thailand this time of year but long flights, I'm off to Canary Islands in March with some friends, only been once and didn't think much of it that time but was with the father in law in a villa and he was proper depressed, actually me and his son got him drunk and lost him :shock: Found him a few hours later thankfully.
Was only joking ya mad bastard! :lol: :wink:

All good here. Hope you and yours are well, mate. 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Trade the wife for a television. You know it makes sense. :lol: :wink:
Not sure id get a good deal mate :(

:lol:

Hmmm.... okay. What about a toaster? Would you get a half decent toaster? :rubchin:

:D :wink:
:lol: even thats pushing it mate :? is it a double slicer? :? :lol:
:lol: :lol:

No. :wink:
Deal :high5:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Not sure id get a good deal mate :(

Hmmm.... okay. What about a toaster? Would you get a half decent toaster? :rubchin:

:lol: even thats pushing it mate :? is it a double slicer? :? :lol:
:lol: :lol:

No. :wink:
Deal :high5:
:coffeespit:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

When can you collect? :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:When can you collect? :lol:
:shock:

Woooaaaahhhh! :speechless: You are trading her with Curry's mate - I'm not involved!! Let's just get that straight!! :shock:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:When can you collect? :lol:
:shock:

Woooaaaahhhh! :speechless: You are trading her with Curry's mate - I'm not involved!! Let's just get that straight!! :shock:

:D

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fucking hell, that's a shit thing to post. You've met every Egyptian to back that statement? :|

Our coach driver stopped by the side of the road, squatted, had a shit and climbed back aboard. We soon learned we had to keep our windows shut as, wherever we went people were putting their hands in and trying to nick anything they could reach. In the Cairo museum we queued in horrendous temperatures for two hours to see the Tutenkhamen exhibition and when we got to the door the bloke said it was closing for lunch. When we complained he told us to fuck off (imschi!!).If we went anywhere near a shop or market stall or street vendor they would grab our arm and it was a ruck to get away. We took pictures of the pyramids and had endless fucking men trying to extort money off of us because they claimed that they, their camels or their donkeys were in the photos. My mate bought a bottle of Coke and when he took the top off there was a dead fly in it. He complained and said he wanted another one and they told him to fuck off. The blonde girl that was in our party was harassed everywhere she went.
I felt that the people in general look down on non-Arabs and are only interested in parting us from our money.

adding the "and thieves" IS twisting my words.

People, you included, make generalisations on this forum every day, be it about students, Americans, atheists (God forbid!) etc.
From my point of view I was talking holiday experiences. If I'd offered other views I hold, like 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly' would you have had a problem because I hadn't met all of the inhabitants of those islands?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

People, you included, make generalisations on this forum every day, be it about students, Americans, atheists (God forbid!) etc.
From my point of view I was talking holiday experiences. If I'd offered other views I hold, like 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly' would you have had a problem because I hadn't met all of the inhabitants of those islands?

:popcorn: :mrgreen:

Do they make Maltesers in Malta ?? :rubchin:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

I have now decided on Egypt. Fuck the pyramids. Fuck the history. I'm having a nice hotel with a private beach. I'm staying put. I'm going snorkelling every day in the Red Sea. I'm going to eat and drink like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway, enough of this shit. What about Brexit? :) :barscarf: :D :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

olgitgooner wrote:I have now decided on Egypt. Fuck the pyramids. Fuck the history. I'm having a nice hotel with a private beach. I'm staying put. I'm going snorkelling every day in the Red Sea. I'm going to eat and drink like there's no tomorrow.

Anyway, enough of this shit. What about Brexit? :) :barscarf: :D :barscarf:
:shock: Well watch out for the sharks mate - They are in that area (warm waters etc) this time of the year! :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ9fFKdkFA0

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

StuartL wrote:Have just booked our hols for June

We wanted a beachy type this year as did Malta for a week and had a crap hotel and then New York in November which was fab but very hectic.

We researched Cape Verde, but got put off from reviews.

Considered Maderia, but found a delightful place in Sardina, which we have sorted, now just have the car hire to do, as it is a small island and quire remote in terms of transport.

If anyone is looking for a new place to go would highly recommend Croatia, superb scenery, coastine and Dubrovnik is delightful - they all speak English as they get taught at school form the age of 6.
I like Madeira but it's not everybody's cup of tea - you need to know what you're signing up for. I would say it is very authentic but people don't realise how poor much of the island is. Particularly after some of the dreadful and fatal flooding they've had there in the past few years.

Wouldn't be much good for a Beachy holiday that's for sure - it's a volcanic island so it's either rocky or dirty sand. It's pretty hot there but it can often be cloudier in the morning and you won't get 16 hours of sunshine every day of the week even in the summer.

But the plus side is that (last time I went there anyway) it's not a tourist trap in any way. There are some wonderful things to see and do in the shanty towns in the mountains. Not renowned for its food but if you like fresh fish/seafood you'll find plenty there.

You would think that they would make a massive deal of Cristiano Ronaldo coming from there but you'd be hard-pushed to find any evidence of it. I expected fake merchandise and tat everywhere with his name and picture on it but there was virtually nothing.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:popcorn:
:popcorn: :popcorn:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
StuartL wrote:Have just booked our hols for June

We wanted a beachy type this year as did Malta for a week and had a crap hotel and then New York in November which was fab but very hectic.

We researched Cape Verde, but got put off from reviews.

Considered Maderia, but found a delightful place in Sardina, which we have sorted, now just have the car hire to do, as it is a small island and quire remote in terms of transport.

If anyone is looking for a new place to go would highly recommend Croatia, superb scenery, coastine and Dubrovnik is delightful - they all speak English as they get taught at school form the age of 6.
I like Madeira but it's not everybody's cup of tea - you need to know what you're signing up for. I would say it is very authentic but people don't realise how poor much of the island is. Particularly after some of the dreadful and fatal flooding they've had there in the past few years.

Wouldn't be much good for a Beachy holiday that's for sure - it's a volcanic island so it's either rocky or dirty sand. It's pretty hot there but it can often be cloudier in the morning and you won't get 16 hours of sunshine every day of the week even in the summer.

But the plus side is that (last time I went there anyway) it's not a tourist trap in any way. There are some wonderful things to see and do in the shanty towns in the mountains. Not renowned for its food but if you like fresh fish/seafood you'll find plenty there.

You would think that they would make a massive deal of Cristiano Ronaldo coming from there but you'd be hard-pushed to find any evidence of it. I expected fake merchandise and tat everywhere with his name and picture on it but there was virtually nothing.
Thanks for the info re Maderia - I was told they do have a CR museum, not that I would be wanting to visit.
By beachy holiday, I mean relaxing by a pool, with a coastline to explore, not necessarily golden sand (it annoys me when it gets in every orifice )

Love Menorca, and the Algarve area of Portugal but have been to each twice, so wanted to try somewhere new - I have a mate who goes to the exact same part of Spain every year :roll: , its a big old world, and I'm keen to see as much of it as possible (within reason)