Holidays

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Red Snapper

Re: Holidays

Post by Red Snapper »

I've been lucky enough to visit a lot of the world and enjoyed most of it; Thailand, Hawaii and Singapore especially. Places I wouldn't go back to include Tunisia ( long before lunatics with machine guns on the beach), New Orleans (should've taken sandwiches plus VERY aggressive beggars) and I agree it's an enormous shame the pyramids are where they are. These days we tend to stick to Spain or Italy (the Venice carnival is well worth a visit), Getting too old for long haul flights!

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

At this time of my life all i want in a holiday is Sun,Sea. Sand and snoozing :D

Lanzarote for May, Portugal for a wedding early Sept and then Lanzarote for 4 weeks. Sept October

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

Do I need to have met every single Egyptian to form an opinion of them?

Our coach driver stopped by the side of the road, squatted, had a shit and climbed back aboard. We soon learned we had to keep our windows shut as, wherever we went people were putting their hands in and trying to nick anything they could reach. In the Cairo museum we queued in horrendous temperatures for two hours to see the Tutenkhamen exhibition and when we got to the door the bloke said it was closing for lunch. When we complained he told us to fuck off (imschi!!).If we went anywhere near a shop or market stall or street vendor they would grab our arm and it was a ruck to get away. We took pictures of the pyramids and had endless fucking men trying to extort money off of us because they claimed that they, their camels or their donkeys were in the photos. My mate bought a bottle of Coke and when he took the top off there was a dead fly in it. He complained and said he wanted another one and they told him to fuck off. The blonde girl that was in our party was harassed everywhere she went.
I felt that the people in general look down on non-Arabs and are only interested in parting us from our money.
You may have had a lovely time; we didn't.
Well, yeah, you do actually. You called an entire race "horrible" and thieves ffs. Whilst it's not racist as such, it is xenophobic and sweeping racial stereotyping, based on your limited encounters of (most likely) poverty stricken, desperate people, and maybe a couple of arseholes.

By your standard, my old man who lived and worked in London in the late 1960's would have been within his rights to call all English people "lazy, dirty, racist, thieving scum with bad teeth" because, guess what, he met a lot of them that were like that. But no, being an educated and tolerant man, he didn't think that way because he had not met all of you. I lived and worked in London in 1990-91 and I met a lot of English people that were ignorant, racist, lazy, dole-sponging, scumbags - but I never for a moment thought "well that's the English for you". :roll:

One thing I have learned in my vast travels on this planet is that every country is more or less the same; they have good people, they have bad people. They have nice people and they have arseholes.

Maybe best to just let this one lie, mate - because tbh it's not painting you in a very good light. :|

I don't think you need to be so sensitive, nor should you twist what I said. I didn't say they were all thieves, so you shouldn't suggest it. I simply explained what happened to me while we were driving around Cairo in a coach.
The thread is about holidays, not a sociological diatribe and I explained what my holiday in Egypt was like. I've been to quite a few countries and I agree that people can be good, bad and in between, but I've not been to a country where so many of the people I encountered were so horrible, and while I'm sure there are some lovely people there, we didn't meet any of them.
I'm not being sensitive. I do find what you wrote to be offensive though tbh. And I am not twisting your words at all. You wrote;

"Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down".

What other way is there to read that?

adding the "and thieves" IS twisting my words.

People, you included, make generalisations on this forum every day, be it about students, Americans, atheists (God forbid!) etc.
From my point of view I was talking holiday experiences. If I'd offered other views I hold, like 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly' would you have had a problem because I hadn't met all of the inhabitants of those islands?
Are you serious?? Of course I wouldn't have a problem if you wrote 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly'! Why would I? That's not offensive ffs. Writing "Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down" is offensive.

And now you want to get into semantics? Is writing "...and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down" about an entire people now suddenly NOT calling them thieves?? I didn't put the "and thieves" in my original post within quotation marks btw... so how is that twisting your words? :roll:

Generalisations are not against the rules here - unless they are racist. And last time I checked students and atheists were not a race, so do not fall under any rules on here regarding racism or racial abuse etc. As for Americans, if someone posts something racially abusive or racist we address it, so do not try and play the "well he got away with it" card.

I think the problem here is you think because it's an internet forum, you can just post what you want. Some of the seriously offensive stuff you've posted in relation to people's religious beliefs would get you banned from most forums tbh. Are you like this in real life, just going around offending people? I doubt it. So why do it on a forum?

Seriously, time to drop this one. :roll:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Well, yeah, you do actually. You called an entire race "horrible" and thieves ffs. Whilst it's not racist as such, it is xenophobic and sweeping racial stereotyping, based on your limited encounters of (most likely) poverty stricken, desperate people, and maybe a couple of arseholes.

By your standard, my old man who lived and worked in London in the late 1960's would have been within his rights to call all English people "lazy, dirty, racist, thieving scum with bad teeth" because, guess what, he met a lot of them that were like that. But no, being an educated and tolerant man, he didn't think that way because he had not met all of you. I lived and worked in London in 1990-91 and I met a lot of English people that were ignorant, racist, lazy, dole-sponging, scumbags - but I never for a moment thought "well that's the English for you". :roll:

One thing I have learned in my vast travels on this planet is that every country is more or less the same; they have good people, they have bad people. They have nice people and they have arseholes.

Maybe best to just let this one lie, mate - because tbh it's not painting you in a very good light. :|

I don't think you need to be so sensitive, nor should you twist what I said. I didn't say they were all thieves, so you shouldn't suggest it. I simply explained what happened to me while we were driving around Cairo in a coach.
The thread is about holidays, not a sociological diatribe and I explained what my holiday in Egypt was like. I've been to quite a few countries and I agree that people can be good, bad and in between, but I've not been to a country where so many of the people I encountered were so horrible, and while I'm sure there are some lovely people there, we didn't meet any of them.
I'm not being sensitive. I do find what you wrote to be offensive though tbh. And I am not twisting your words at all. You wrote;

"Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down".

People, you included, make generalisations on this forum every day, be it about students, Americans, atheists (God forbid!) etc.
From my point of view I was talking holiday experiences. If I'd offered other views I hold, like 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly' would you have had a problem because I hadn't met all of the inhabitants of those islands?
Are you serious?? Of course I wouldn't have a problem if you wrote 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly'! Why would I? That's not offensive ffs. Writing "Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down" is offensive.

And now you want to get into semantics? Is writing "...and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down" about an entire people now suddenly NOT calling them thieves?? I didn't put the "and thieves" in my original post within quotation marks btw... so how is that twisting your words? :roll:

Generalisations are not against the rules here - unless they are racist. And last time I checked students and atheists were not a race, so do not fall under any rules on here regarding racism or racial abuse etc. As for Americans, if someone posts something racially abusive or racist we address it, so do not try and play the "well he got away with it" card.

I think the problem here is you think because it's an internet forum, you can just post what you want. Some of the seriously offensive stuff you've posted in relation to people's religious beliefs would get you banned from most forums tbh. Are you like this in real life, just going around offending people? I doubt it. So why do it on a forum?

Egypt would not be on my Christmas list.... :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

After Granada Chalmers holiday review i wont be going to Egypt anytime soon :worried:

:wink:

:popcorn:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

My lad went on an Egyptian coach tour, but he was suffering from Rameses Revenge, the on board khazee took a severe pebble dashing and killed the tour!.. :lol:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

If anybody took my generalisations about Egypt, which were based on my experiences, as a racist attack on all Egyptians (personally I don't think too many people would have taken it too seriously) then I would like to apologise to them.
However, I don't get the 'going round offending people' bit. You have used much more insulting and aggressive language, much more often, when commenting on students and atheists etc, than I have.
With regard to my comments on religious belief; I've made a point of not insulting people who hold such beliefs, but attacking any belief should be considered acceptable, whether or not it offends some people. None of us have the right not to be offended.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

If anybody took my generalisations about Egypt, which were based on my experiences, as a racist attack on all Egyptians (personally I don't think too many people would have taken it too seriously) then I would like to apologise to them.
However, I don't get the 'going round offending people' bit. You have used much more insulting and aggressive language, much more often, when commenting on students and atheists etc, than I have.
With regard to my comments on religious belief; I've made a point of not insulting people who hold such beliefs, but attacking any belief should be considered acceptable, whether or not it offends some people. None of us have the right not to be offended.
Hang on, I never said what you wrote about Egyptians was racist... just that it was a shitty and offensive thing to write, and that it was stereotyping, based on limited experience and interaction...

tbh it's probably best to just move on at this point, before we get bogged down in that old internet forum favourite pastime of "he said she said".

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Hang on, I never said what you wrote about Egyptians was racist... just that it was a shitty and offensive thing to write, and that it was stereotyping, based on limited experience and interaction...

tbh it's probably best to just move on at this point, before we get bogged down in that old internet forum favourite pastime of "he said she said".

1) mmmm that's most people's experience of Egypt :lol:

2) can I be the first to guess which one you are :lol:
Last edited by LeftfootlegendGooner on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Never was any good at quoting :| :lol:
Last edited by LeftfootlegendGooner on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

I would ban everyone who quotes 10 other quotes,bastards and that includes the Mods. :banghead:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Now ye can see how annoying ladder quotes are

LeftfootlegendGooner

corkbarry wrote:I would ban everyone who quotes 10 other quotes,bastards and that includes the Mods. :banghead:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Now ye can see how annoying ladder quotes are

What are ladder quotes Barry :? :D

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Allgunsblazin wrote:My lad went on an Egyptian coach tour, but he was suffering from Rameses Revenge, the on board khazee took a severe pebble dashing and killed the tour!.. :lol:
By all accounts the Angola one was worse :evil:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

StuartL wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:My lad went on an Egyptian coach tour, but he was suffering from Rameses Revenge, the on board khazee took a severe pebble dashing and killed the tour!.. :lol:
By all accounts the Angola one was worse :evil:
Try Mozambique next time... :shock:

LeftfootlegendGooner

At Heathrow T5 now off to colder climes, this is not what holidays are about is it, good choice wifey :( :lol: