Holidays

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
arseofacrow

Re: Holidays

Post by arseofacrow »

Further to the GJoe said, DB10 said debate about Egypt, I'd like to relay my own experience.

I went to Cairo for around 11/12 days in 2003, just as the US and it's allies had invaded Iraq (for context).

All of the usual shit at the pyramids as described , with taxi drivers to/from airport :banghead: and every perfume shop owner has a family member who is studying/has studied at an English University (but go for a regional one, not Oxford or Cambridge :roll: ). Other than that, had few problems and felt, at that time, generally safe. The exception was a trip to see a mosque and to come out to a full on anti US protest, with burning flags included. That was tricky! :shock:

Trips to the museum and to Alexandria were mostly interesting and uneventful, and jobs which no longer exist in the west (porter at train station, usher at the cinema) still exist there.

My companion and I were not on a tourist type trip so probably avoided some of the shit described elsewhere. Can't compare it to 2017 so wouldn't know how to approach such a trip now. I enjoyed it in much the same way as the best colonials - when you've had enough of the culture, take refuge in a nice hotel or restaurant :lol:

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Australia for me in a couple of weeks, meeting up with my boy in Brisbane. We are taking in a Brisbane roar match and will be showing the Arsenal colours around Brisbane, any tips on decent places to drink in that area would be really appreciated chaps.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

flash gunner wrote:
After Granada Chalmers holiday review i wont be going to Egypt anytime soon :worried:

:wink:

:popcorn:
:lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

hertsgunner wrote:Australia for me in a couple of weeks, meeting up with my boy in Brisbane. We are taking in a Brisbane roar match and will be showing the Arsenal colours around Brisbane, any tips on decent places to drink in that area would be really appreciated chaps.
Spent my childhood in Brisbane. Beautiful city and great place to live. Was only 15 when we left so can't help with the places to drink unless you like to sit round a campfire on Caloundra beach drinking cans of xxxx with surf chicks. :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
hertsgunner wrote:Australia for me in a couple of weeks, meeting up with my boy in Brisbane. We are taking in a Brisbane roar match and will be showing the Arsenal colours around Brisbane, any tips on decent places to drink in that area would be really appreciated chaps.
Spent my childhood in Brisbane. Beautiful city and great place to live. Was only 15 when we left so can't help with the places to drink unless you like to sit round a campfire on Caloundra beach drinking cans of xxxx with surf chicks. :lol:
wtf even the name of alcoholic drinks are removed on this forum these days :banghead: :banghead: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:

I don't think you need to be so sensitive, nor should you twist what I said. I didn't say they were all thieves, so you shouldn't suggest it. I simply explained what happened to me while we were driving around Cairo in a coach.
The thread is about holidays, not a sociological diatribe and I explained what my holiday in Egypt was like. I've been to quite a few countries and I agree that people can be good, bad and in between, but I've not been to a country where so many of the people I encountered were so horrible, and while I'm sure there are some lovely people there, we didn't meet any of them.
I'm not being sensitive. I do find what you wrote to be offensive though tbh. And I am not twisting your words at all. You wrote;

"Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down".

What other way is there to read that?

adding the "and thieves" IS twisting my words.

People, you included, make generalisations on this forum every day, be it about students, Americans, atheists (God forbid!) etc.
From my point of view I was talking holiday experiences. If I'd offered other views I hold, like 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly' would you have had a problem because I hadn't met all of the inhabitants of those islands?
Are you serious?? Of course I wouldn't have a problem if you wrote 'people in Malta and Tobago are really friendly'! Why would I? That's not offensive ffs. Writing "Egypt is dirty and the people are horrible (they were when I went in 1976) and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down" is offensive.

And now you want to get into semantics? Is writing "...and they'll nick anything that's not nailed down" about an entire people now suddenly NOT calling them thieves?? I didn't put the "and thieves" in my original post within quotation marks btw... so how is that twisting your words? :roll:

Generalisations are not against the rules here - unless they are racist. And last time I checked students and atheists were not a race, so do not fall under any rules on here regarding racism or racial abuse etc. As for Americans, if someone posts something racially abusive or racist we address it, so do not try and play the "well he got away with it" card.

I think the problem here is you think because it's an internet forum, you can just post what you want. Some of the seriously offensive stuff you've posted in relation to people's religious beliefs would get you banned from most forums tbh. Are you like this in real life, just going around offending people? I doubt it. So why do it on a forum?

Seriously, time to drop this one. :roll:
Egypt would not be on my Christmas list.... :lol:
I don't blame you - you'd have to send an estimated 83,000,000 Cards.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wtf even the name of alcoholic drinks are removed on this forum these days :banghead: :banghead: :lol:
:lol:

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
:lol:
Surf chicks I wish, I'm a bit old for that now I'll stick to the beer and leave the surf chicks to my boy. After today's shambles at the bridge I can't wait to get to the other side of the world.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
:lol: :lol:

M3Gooner

Post by M3Gooner »

I recommend island hopping around Greek islands. Santorini, Mykonos, Naxos, Ios. Was there few years ago sat in a bar on deadline day hoping we buy big and ended up with Welbz :lol:

I'm off to Italian lakes on final day of the season. Don't think I'm gonna miss much.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

M3Gooner wrote:I recommend island hopping around Greek islands. Santorini, Mykonos, Naxos, Ios. Was there few years ago sat in a bar on deadline day hoping we buy big and ended up with Welbz :lol:
Always fancied trying Lesbos... great muffdiv... sorry, scubadiving there apparently!

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:
M3Gooner wrote:I recommend island hopping around Greek islands. Santorini, Mykonos, Naxos, Ios. Was there few years ago sat in a bar on deadline day hoping we buy big and ended up with Welbz :lol:
Always fancied trying Lesbos... great muffdiv... sorry, scubadiving there apparently!
:tumbleweed:

Should've quit while you were ahead g88ner. :wink:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

arseofacrow wrote:
g88ner wrote:
:tumbleweed:

Should've quit while you were ahead g88ner. :wink:
:D :D

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

It's going to be quiet this year. :(

Lanzarote in April May for 4 Weeks. Portugal in Septrmber for 1 Week and then back to Lanzarote for another 4 Weeks :barscarf:

We love Lanzarote :barscarf:

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

If Cork City can maintain their form i could be travelling on the Continent next season in The Champions League :barscarf:

9 games 9 wins, 5 clean sheets and a + 19 goals.

Not a lot of people know this but our league runs from Feb to O ctober and most of our games are played Friday evening, great in the Summer months/