Attack in London

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
olgitgooner

Re: Attack in London

Post by olgitgooner »

I did some work at the Houses of Parliament in the late 1970s. Security was really poor. After an MP's car was blown up leaving the car park the security was supposed to have been ramped up. Sad to say that it is still shite enough to allow a uniformed cop to be stabbed to death inside the gates. I heard one MP saying that the gates are the only "weak spot". This is total bollocks. Gates should be doubled up. All the roads in the area need to be protected by bollards against rogue vehicles. Access from the river needs to be secured. It's impossible to protect the public against terrorism everywhere. But obvious danger areas ought to be well covered. Somebody, somewhere, hasn't carried out a proper risk assessment.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

olgitgooner wrote:I did some work at the Houses of Parliament in the late 1970s. Security was really poor. After an MP's car was blown up leaving the car park the security was supposed to have been ramped up. Sad to say that it is still shite enough to allow a uniformed cop to be stabbed to death inside the gates. I heard one MP saying that the gates are the only "weak spot". This is total bollocks. Gates should be doubled up. All the roads in the area need to be protected by bollards against rogue vehicles. Access from the river needs to be secured. It's impossible to protect the public against terrorism everywhere. But obvious danger areas ought to be well covered. Somebody, somewhere, hasn't carried out a proper risk assessment.
I suspect gates should be a triple arrangement, first area to stop crazy opportunist people, second to properly check security then the third lets them in. All bridges with wide pavements ought to have bollards at some point, maybe the collapsable sort to allow emergency vehicles down

Herd

Post by Herd »

There's plenty of security Nowadays for MP's and Downing Streets been a no go for years.
I don't understand how this Guy got through without being gunned down earlier although I suspect it was because the armed OB are there only for MP's and this was in a public spot which if so shows you that the powers that be care nothing for the general public !
The poor PC was on public liaison duties but in such a sensitive place the very minimum he should have had on was a stab proof vest !
Houses of Parliament ,are No 1 on any would be terrorist's list yet they appear to have had Zero security on the Bridge which is fucking bad .
Considering the threat their should have been armed plain clothed patrols on the bridge all day long not to mentioned surveillance !

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Its really strange i was at Westminster Bridge those exact gates about 4 weeks ago and showed my daughters the police with machine guns, like the airport police . There was safety anti terror bollards too so dont understand how this happened, unless the guns are not real :?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

A copy cat incident went off outside a pub in Essex Road apparently albeit you wouldn't know it from the lack of national publicity. Police say not related but they must have got the idea somewhere.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

flash gunner wrote:Its really strange i was at Westminster Bridge those exact gates about 4 weeks ago and showed my daughters the police with machine guns, like the airport police . There was safety anti terror bollards too so dont understand how this happened, unless the guns are not real :?

I don't understand the exact timeline, and have not watched much of the news coverage, but i don't understand how he was able to attack the police officer AFTER killing people in his car. that should have removed the element of suprise, and police should have been on guard.

NickF

Post by NickF »

AkneyGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Its really strange i was at Westminster Bridge those exact gates about 4 weeks ago and showed my daughters the police with machine guns, like the airport police . There was safety anti terror bollards too so dont understand how this happened, unless the guns are not real :?

I don't understand the exact timeline, and have not watched much of the news coverage, but i don't understand how he was able to attack the police officer AFTER killing people in his car. that should have removed the element of suprise, and police should have been on guard.
Apparently the whole thing took 82 seconds from hitting the innocent people to being shot dead.

Herd

Post by Herd »

A11M11 wrote:A copy cat incident went off outside a pub in Essex Road apparently albeit you wouldn't know it from the lack of national publicity. Police say not related but they must have got the idea somewhere.
You must be joking it's a nightly occurrence in Essex Road ,the worst estates in the country Marquess and Packington ,makes Aleppo look like la la land !

As for 82 seconds that's a long time for a nutter on a rampage !

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Herd wrote:
A11M11 wrote:A copy cat incident went off outside a pub in Essex Road apparently albeit you wouldn't know it from the lack of national publicity. Police say not related but they must have got the idea somewhere.
You must be joking it's a nightly occurrence in Essex Road ,the worst estates in the country Marquess and Packington ,makes Aleppo look like la la land !

As for 82 seconds that's a long time for a nutter on a rampage !
i agree given the location, we have so many cameras and systems watching us in central london, it should not have took the attack of a bobby for armed police to respond.

All these things have to protect the public (i include the police officer and his family in that) otherwise they are just a waste of money and liberty.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Train companies and black cab drivers offering free travel for those attending the funeral/memorial service for the murdered policeman. There is plenty of decency left in the human race.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Did you know that MP's did not want armed policemen at those particular gates as it would look too grim to the public!...
Which answers the question as to why this officer did not even have a taser!
I am sure this will be overlooked and fudged over by those politicians...

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:Did you know that MP's did not want armed policemen at those particular gates as it would look too grim to the public!...
I was at those gates 4 weeks or so ago and there were armed police there, with airport style machine guns

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

flash gunner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:Did you know that MP's did not want armed policemen at those particular gates as it would look too grim to the public!...
I was at those gates 4 weeks or so ago and there were armed police there, with airport style machine guns
Wish they had been there at the time the unarmed officer was being stabbed to death!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Wish they had been there at the time the unarmed officer was being stabbed to death!
Totally agree having seen them im amazed they werent

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

flash gunner wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Totally agree having seen them im amazed they werent
I know mate...
The fella received a Commendation along with my lad couple of years back, it hurts mate.... :cry: