The Off Season Leftfield thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Rugby Gooner

The Off Season Leftfield thread

Post by Rugby Gooner »

We are between seasons,and I have had a few cold ones this afternoon,so I thought that I would start a random thread to pass the time until the Football resumes,,not of the usual "Top 5 fave bands,books,"etc,but 5 that you THINK people should listen to,or read,or watch,or whatever.
So,to kick it off,here is my list of 5 bands that I think people should give a listen to:-
HP Lovecraft
Fountains of Wayne
King Missile
My Morning Jacket
Cosmic Rough Riders

Red Snapper

Re: The Off Season Leftfield thread

Post by Red Snapper »

Well I'm too old to have heard of any of them but back in the 70's I used to enjoy several bands who were just below the mainstream and can now be unearthed on youtube;
Stackridge
Skid Row
Osibisa
Burnin Red Ivanhoe
Blodwyn Pig

Yeah, I'm very old :(

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Red Snapper wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:00 pm
Well I'm too old to have heard of any of them but back in the 70's I used to enjoy several bands who were just below the mainstream and can now be unearthed on youtube;
Stackridge
Skid Row
Osibisa
Burnin Red Ivanhoe
Blodwyn Pig

Yeah, I'm very old :(
Fountains of Wayne,and My Morning Jacket,and Cosmic Rough Riders are bands from the 2000's,and King Missile are a 90's band.
HP Lovecraft are a late 60's psychedelic band named after the author.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

Steps
Sclub7
Backstreetboys
And wham

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

A mate came round yesterday to watch Scotland v England,so obviously a few beers.
He told me that he had paid the thick end of £300 for 2 U2 tickets at Twickenham for the Joshua Tree 30th tour. :shock:
I told him that 30 years ago I may have paid to see them,but they are now just bloated,pompous,self-righteous wankers,and I wouldn't go to watch them if they were playing in my local,even if they gave me a rider.
Agree or disagree?

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:50 pm
A mate came round yesterday to watch Scotland v England,so obviously a few beers.
He told me that he had paid the thick end of £300 for 2 U2 tickets at Twickenham for the Joshua Tree 30th tour. :shock:
I told him that 30 years ago I may have paid to see them,but they are now just bloated,pompous,self-righteous wankers,and I wouldn't go to watch them if they were playing in my local,even if they gave me a rider.
Agree or disagree?
You know you are getting a little older when a group decides to pop (pun intended) up after 20 years and to gain a few hundred thousand quid for their pension funds!
Cynicism does it again, me old egg!....

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Agree or disagree?
Agree. Bono is one of the world's biggest hypocrites. Can't stand them.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Agree or disagree?
Yeah agree ..Was a fan in the early 80s but wouldn't go to their Dublin concert even if offered a free ticket. That isn't necessarily for musical reasons..I just couldn't spend hours looking at them.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Agreed.

Bono will probably spend most of the concert delivering his expert opinion on world events whilst he continues his crusade to get a knighthood like his compatriot Bob!

deluded prick!

Herd

Post by Herd »

I haven't taken U2 seriously since I saw bono in leather trousers ,turtle neck jumper and a a mullet haircut doing I will follow but I got dragged to see them in the palladium NYC in 82-3 and they were very good .

I saw my old friend Jock McDonald aka Jerry O'Donnel in concert Saturday night in Brighton,The Bollock Bothers remain fantastic !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Boner (copyright Beavis & Butthead :lol: ) is a pompous twat. Never particularly liked their music either tbh (the guitar playing is schoolboy level :oops: ) but when Boner starts pontificating about world poverty and green issues (after flying in from one of his mansions on a private jet) I just switch off completely. Prize prick. :roll: :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Makes me laugh when multi millionaires whose careers and wealth were given a massive boost by live aid don't pay tax in any country , ask me for money to help the poor in Africa .
Almost as bad as the so called charity UNICEF

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

XTC
Joy division
The lines
Pink industry
Kitchens of distinction