The "Led Zeppelin,best English band ever,"thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Block93

Re: The "Led Zeppelin,best English band ever,"thread

Post by Block93 »

I had forgotten I'd posted on this thread and missed responding on the Marillion feedback - can't argue that Fish was great, some truly magical songs, but the Hogarth era is........better! Trust me on this.

Listen to three Hogarth songs, don't reply immediately saying yes they're ok, give it a week, listening several times a day to each. studio version, not live.

Fantastic Place - in my opinion, the best song ever written, well it's my favourite, it is so perfect in every respect, and the chord change in the guitar solo at the end is just stunning, this is an incredible song,

Beautiful - you like a melody? This song's for you, from the opening chord sequence to the wonderful ending....awesome

The Invisible Man - play it loud in a dark room, it is so haunting, wonderful melody, just brilliant.

And I will throw in a totally unconnected bonus number you have probably never heard of.....'Time of our Lives' by Night Ranger. US AOR band.., and they rock. I absolutely guarantee that you and the missus will be singing and shouting the chorus once you have listened a few times, and you will be downloading this band's stuff. Play it loud, as I said....they ROCK!!!

I have given you four songs here that you will never forget.

Interested in your comments, but give them a chance - it took me ages to get into Fantastic Place, but it is just wonderful!!!

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

:mrgreen: Shouldn't this tread be Led Zep, best English cover band ever? :barscarf: I don't mind the music but can't stand the singer! :roll:

Too many candidates for best English band, Small Faces, The Who, The Jam, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Kinks, Beatles, does The Jimi Hendrix Experience count? Rolling Stones (Brian Jones period) Pink Floyd (better with Syd Barratt) The Smiths, :rubchin: New Order, Joy Division, Echo & the Bunnymen (80's stuff only)

Yardbirds, Cream Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, La's good but all lasted only a few years though.

Coral, Shack, The Prisoners / Solarflares, are some more obscure recent candidates! :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I want to get into led zep just can't. Bought cd's listened and listened just can't get into it

A bit 'emperors new clothes' IMO

Block93

Post by Block93 »

flash gunner wrote: I want to get into led zep just can't. Bought cd's listened and listened just can't get into it

With Zep there is so much that it is difficult to know where to start....

Obvious 'tour de force' tracks like 'When the Levee Breaks' and 'Kashmir' are just mind-blowing, but you can't listen them just as ambient music. WTLB through headphones is awesome. You could listen to the riff on that song all your life and never get bored with it.

Why not try a more gentle introduction, with Page's magical melodic guitar on 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You', with Plant at his vocal best, and then maybe try 'Rainsong' as you move towards the band's essence, wonderfully constructed songs with brilliant arrangements. I love harmonies, there's plenty of them among the great Zep output.

'Since I've been loving you' is another track that you can't help but play air guitar to, but what a tune.

All basic Zep songs, but we are only scratching the surface.

PS Has no bugger out there listened to my Marillion recommendations of a while back on this thread?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm
Yes,no band related pun intended,another "Silly Season" thread,but in my opinion Zep are the best band to come out of this,"Green and Pleasant Land," closely followed by The Kinks,and then Pink Floyd.
Just listening to "Presence" and they have just re-affirmed my view.
Got into them around the,"Houses of the Holy" stage,and bought their albums as they came out from then,but obviously aquired their back catalogue.
I even got hold of a couple of their vinyl bootlegs,ie: "Live at the LA Forum" double,(boy would I like to get hold of that again).
Also an LP ,on the Springboard record label of Jimmy Page and Sonny Boy Williamson.
Great band,with legendary tour escapades.
What more could you want? :barscarf:
I've recently revisited Pink Floyd - The Wall and I gotta say that album was more influential on music in the '80's than Sgt Pepper's was in the '60's and any Zepplin album in the '70's. I'm not a great fan of them but that blew me away listening to it again. I also listened to Led Zepplin III & IV as a comparison yet The Wall is miles ahead.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:57 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Yes,no band related pun intended,another "Silly Season" thread,but in my opinion Zep are the best band to come out of this,"Green and Pleasant Land," closely followed by The Kinks,and then Pink Floyd.
Got into them around the,"Houses of the Holy" stage,and bought their albums as they came out from then,but obviously aquired their back catalogue.
I even got hold of a couple of their vinyl bootlegs,ie: "Live at the LA Forum" double,(boy would I like to get hold of that again).
Also an LP ,on the Springboard record label of Jimmy Page and Sonny Boy Williamson.
I've recently revisited Pink Floyd - The Wall and I gotta say that album was more influential on music in the '80's than Sgt Pepper's was in the '60's and any Zepplin album in the '70's. I'm not a great fan of them but that blew me away listening to it again. I also listened to Led Zepplin III & IV as a comparison yet The Wall is miles ahead.
"Wish you were here" is better than,"The Wall."

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I beg to differ. :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:01 am

I beg to differ. :barscarf:
They only became great in the '80's because there wasn't anyone else around decent enough.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

He was one hell of a showman - But his voice was not at all very good.

When considering Great rock singers I would name:

Paul Rodgers - Free/Bad Co

Ian Gillan - Deep Purple

Ronnie Van Zant

Prog Rock singers:

Jon Anderson

Peter Gabriel

Phil Collins (no I cannot stand his solo shyte)

Justin Hayward

Others 70's Singers:

Joni Mitchell
Ian Anderson
Jackson Browne
Paul Carrick
David Crosby
Liam Ó Maonlaí (Hot HouseFlowers)
Alan Stivell

and Freddie Mercury was nowhere near any of these.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:
I'm not a Beatles fan - they were before my time, But Sgt Pepper (released 1967)is cited by all the bands of the 70's AND the 80's as being the album that changed the direction of writing songs and making albums...it was and is recognised as the first concept album; also the reason Pink Floyd insisted on recording Dark Side of the Moon at Abbey Road. Some might say the Moody Blues 'Threshold of a Dream' (1969) was the first..and that Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street was more so (conceptual in nature) but that was not released till 1972 and by then the likes of the Moody Blues had also released Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Yes had released 'Close To The Edge' which any prog fan with an iota of intelligence will agree is THE First and Finest Prog Rock Concept album (The music/song ideas and even the album cover all went to making it the complete concept, I have a friend who is a HUGE L.Zep fan who regards Zeppelin 4 (1971) who regards it as a concept album, Wishbone ash 'Argus' can also be said to be the same Music - all the songs inter-link on a theme and the cover mirrors the music...my older bro says Jimi Hendrix first album 'Are You Experienced'(1967) was the first concept album...

But hey! It is all about opinions and what age one is when discovering music proper. I am just glad I was in my teens then and not now, how many songs from the mid 80's to the present moment will be remembered and still played some 40 - 50 years later...?

8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:19 pm
I want to get into led zep just can't. Bought cd's listened and listened just can't get into it

I have a friend who is now a Huge Zep fan, but when he first started listening to them - along with all his mates - he couldn't get into the music, so someone suggested listening to one song at a time from any album he chose by chance, maybe you could try listening to their more commonly known / famous songs:L 'Immigrant song' (now there's a title ahead of it's time :wink: ), of course the be all and end all 'Stairway To Heaven'...but there are songs I prefer such as 'Battle of Evermore', 'Bron Y Aur Stomp', 'Kashmir' etc then perhaps listen to a whole album occasionally when you have time to spare (yes, I kn ow, who has time to spare these days with family/job etc etc).

It will be worth it mate! 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:33 am
flash gunner wrote:

I have a friend who is now a Huge Zep fan, but when he first started listening to them - along with all his mates - he couldn't get into the music, so someone suggested listening to one song at a time from any album he chose by chance, maybe you could try listening to their more commonly known / famous songs:L 'Immigrant song' (now there's a title ahead of it's time :wink: ), of course the be all and end all 'Stairway To Heaven'...but there are songs I prefer such as 'Battle of Evermore', 'Bron Y Aur Stomp', 'Kashmir' etc then perhaps listen to a whole album occasionally when you have time to spare (yes, I kn ow, who has time to spare these days with family/job etc etc).

It will be worth it mate! 8)
ill give it a go when i get time mate

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:15 am
Nos89 wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:
I'm not a Beatles fan - they were before my time, But Sgt Pepper (released 1967)is cited by all the bands of the 70's AND the 80's as being the album that changed the direction of writing songs and making albums...it was and is recognised as the first concept album; also the reason Pink Floyd insisted on recording Dark Side of the Moon at Abbey Road. Some might say the Moody Blues 'Threshold of a Dream' (1969) was the first..and that Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street was more so (conceptual in nature) but that was not released till 1972 and by then the likes of the Moody Blues had also released Every Good Boy Deserves Favour and Yes had released 'Close To The Edge' which any prog fan with an iota of intelligence will agree is THE First and Finest Prog Rock Concept album (The music/song ideas and even the album cover all went to making it the complete concept, I have a friend who is a HUGE L.Zep fan who regards Zeppelin 4 (1971) who regards it as a concept album, Wishbone ash 'Argus' can also be said to be the same Music - all the songs inter-link on a theme and the cover mirrors the music...my older bro says Jimi Hendrix first album 'Are You Experienced'(1967) was the first concept album...

But hey! It is all about opinions and what age one is when discovering music proper. I am just glad I was in my teens then and not now, how many songs from the mid 80's to the present moment will be remembered and still played some 40 - 50 years later...?

8)
Pet sounds by the Beach Boys is cited as the first concept album which challenged The Beatles to write Sgt Peppers, of course they are not British. The Kinks were are a pioneer in this field and I'd choose them ahead of the Beatles everyday of the week.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Pet Sounds was/is now thought of as a concept album, and beats "A Quick One" by The Who by 6 months which is also cited as the first UK album released based around a 'concept', but what I consider to be a Concept album in its Totality; the theme/subject matter/s, the lyrics, the music, the cover - is Sgt Pepper. It is the whole package that makes a concept album what it is.

Mind you having seen the film "Love & Mercy" about Brian Wilson - He may be as fruity as fruit cake, but his genius is undeniable....

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

flash gunner wrote:

Have a good listen to Led Zeppelin III mate,great album. :barscarf: