The "Led Zeppelin,best English band ever,"thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Rugby Gooner

Re: The "Led Zeppelin,best English band ever,"thread

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:20 pm
Pet Sounds was/is now thought of as a concept album, and beats "A Quick One" by The Who by 6 months which is also cited as the first UK album released based around a 'concept', but what I consider to be a Concept album in its Totality; the theme/subject matter/s, the lyrics, the music, the cover - is Sgt Pepper. It is the whole package that makes a concept album what it is.

Mind you having seen the film "Love & Mercy" about Brian Wilson - He may be as fruity as fruit cake, but his genius is undeniable....
What about,"Smell the Glove," by Spinal Tap? :lol:
Seriously,another couple of contenders for a great concept album are,"I Robot," by The Alan Parsons Project,or "Red" by King Crimson.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Pet Sounds was/is now thought of as a concept album, and beats "A Quick One" by The Who by 6 months which is also cited as the first UK album released based around a 'concept', but what I consider to be a Concept album in its Totality; the theme/subject matter/s, the lyrics, the music, the cover - is Sgt Pepper. It is the whole package that makes a concept album what it is.

Mind you having seen the film "Love & Mercy" about Brian Wilson - He may be as fruity as fruit cake, but his genius is undeniable....
Seriously,another couple of contenders for a great concept album are,"I Robot," by The Alan Parsons Project,or "Red" by King Crimson.
:lol: 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Wasn't that cover the inspiration for Metallica's Black Album ?

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:37 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Wasn't that cover the inspiration for Metallica's Black Album ?
I don't know mate,it's possible I suppose

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

There were loads of references in Spinal tap to real bands and events that took place..like the bass player getting stuck in that plastic shell thing - The same thing actually happened to Alan White the drummer of Yes on the Topographic Oceans Tour 1973, this kind of sea shell used to open and close during one of the tracks and a drum solo and it wedged tight and they had to use crow bars and stuff to get him out! (seriously)...just as the Stonehenge thing was the opposite of what happened...Black Sabbath did a tour with Ian Gillan on vocals and they asked the stage props company to make a half-size Stonehenge model and of course they made it Life Size and it (AND the band & their gear) couldn't / wouldn't fit on the stage...it (the Stonehenge model made of fibre glass) is still in storage in a Stage Props storage facility somewhere near Braintree...(honest guv).

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:24 pm
There were loads of references in Spinal tap to real bands and events that took place..like the bass player getting stuck in that plastic shell thing - The same thing actually happened to Alan White the drummer of Yes on the Topographic Oceans Tour 1973, this kind of sea shell used to open and close during one of the tracks and a drum solo and it wedged tight and they had to use crow bars and stuff to get him out! (seriously)...just as the Stonehenge thing was the opposite of what happened...Black Sabbath did a tour with Ian Gillan on vocals and they asked the stage props company to make a half-size Stonehenge model and of course they made it Life Size and it (AND the band & their gear) couldn't / wouldn't fit on the stage...it (the Stonehenge model made of fibre glass) is still in storage in a Stage Props storage facility somewhere near Braintree...(honest guv).
I saw them play Dalymount Park in Dublin on that tour and Gillan made a couple jokes about the "missing" Stonehenge set. :barscarf: :lol: 8)

Twisted Sister were brillant that day and Motorhead were the loudest thing I've ever heard. :shock: 8)

When the Sabs covered Smoke On The Water there was a very mixed response from the crowd.... :| :wink: The music media also gave the Sabs some shit about Gillan joining, calling them Deep Sabbath and Black Purple, but they were quite good tbh, not as good as Sabs with Ozzy or Dio but still quite good. 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Saw Queen last night at the O2. They haven't got a mention but surely they need to be added into the mix. They had a few epic albums. A night at the opera and News of the world.
A great concert tinged with the feeling of the huge loss of Freddie Mercury. He appeared on the screen a couple of times and gave the place a different feel. Credit to Adam Lambert who gives the show the energy of youth.

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Best “English band” SABBATH end of! :twisted:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

wilko49er wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 am
Best “English band” SABBATH end of! :twisted:

Don't you mean "SABBUFF" ? :? :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am
goonersid wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 pm
Sabbath for me! Wife is a big zep fan ! Their unpredictable live performances quality wise lets them down in my book!
AC/DC Bon Scott era were always my favourite band from 70s and up until Scott's death! I barely associate the shite they churned after that with what I consider the real AC/DC
LOVED Bon Scott-era Accadacca but you cannot dismiss Beano! :shock: :box:

Back in Black is one of the greatest albums of all time. 8) 8)
Powerage far superior album, also most of the stuff on back in black evolved from stuff Bon had “scribbled down” but if you like Marillion mate then I’ll have to excuse you on the grounds of you being deaf!!
:D :wink: they were shite mate!!

NickF

Post by NickF »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
Sabbath for me! Wife is a big zep fan ! Their unpredictable live performances quality wise lets them down in my book!
AC/DC Bon Scott era were always my favourite band from 70s and up until Scott's death! I barely associate the shite they churned after that with what I consider the real AC/DC

Powerage far superior album, also most of the stuff on back in black evolved from stuff Bon had “scribbled down” but if you like Marillion mate then I’ll have to excuse you on the grounds of you being deaf!!
:shock:
Think you might be the deaf one, calling Marillion shite (alright the stuff after Fish is) and liking Powerage.
Personally I thought that was the worst of the Bon Scott albums...

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

NickF wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm
goonersid wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:

:shock:
Think you might be the deaf one, calling Marillion shite (alright the stuff after Fish is) and liking Powerage.
Personally I thought that was the worst of the Bon Scott albums...
I was thinking more of the “stuff with fish” being shite ! Didn’t even know they’d made stuff after that was even worse :shock: :D