The One Album,One Book,One Film Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Rugby Gooner

Re: The One Album,One Book,One Film Thread

Post by Rugby Gooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am
Blimey this is a toughie.....

Amused to Death by Roger Waters,

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum

Quadrophenia or The Blues Brothers
I used to live in Brighton,and liked the Mod thing.
I have even been down the alley,oh er missus,where leslie Ash got it on with Phil Daniels.Go down North Street,turn right by Hanningtons,walk past where the taxis park,and it's on your right.There is a little "shrine" there. :D
We also skipped out of work to go up to Brighton Station when a lot of the cast came down for I think the 20th anniversary of the films release.
They all got taken on scooters down to the seafront.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:38 pm
Close To The Edge - Yes
Lightningbolt - Hyhemeyhosts Storm
Blade Runner (Editor's Cut) - Ridley Scott

Not an easy choice, so many close seconds...but these have been with me a long time and I 'Love' them, they never fail to lift my spirits and Inspire me.
I bought "Close to the Edge" on vinyl from a second hand record store in the mid 70's.
I loved the Roger Dean Niagra Falls at the end of the Universe gatefold artwork,and the caligraphy used on the lyrics.Loved the music too.It's an album that I always listen to all the way through because it flows so well.
Yes, it was a time when bands would mirror the music by the cover and vice versa, must admit it was a tough call on the One Album it could have any of 15 albums or so from that era...Alan Stivell's Renaissance of the Celtic Harp almost pipped CTTE.

I used to love the fold out album sleeves when we had vinyl - there was that whole thing of opening the cover and reading the lyrics as the music played, also have to agree about playing the 3 tracks: "Close To The Edge" " Side One. "And You And I" & "Siberian Khatru" Side Two. - I still play it at least once a fortnight...I still get Goose bumps now especially the opening with all the birds and the crescendo building up to the the music.

I have the Inner Sleeve of Lyrics (emerald green with black lyrics) as a framed poster, some say Anderson's lyric's are obscure and weird, but for me the lyrics of that Yes album in particular is pure poetry, for me their finest moment in recording history, also the defining album in all of Prog Rock. 8)

These are Print Typed, but the original were in Roger Dean's own hand-writing and very styilsh...

Sigh...Those were the days...No Mortgage, No Wife & Kids...No Divorce... :? Image

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Close To The Edge - Yes

Not an easy choice, so many close seconds...but these have been with me a long time and I 'Love' them, they never fail to lift my spirits and Inspire me.
I bought "Close to the Edge" on vinyl from a second hand record store in the mid 70's.
I loved the Roger Dean Niagra Falls at the end of the Universe gatefold artwork,and the caligraphy used on the lyrics.Loved the music too.It's an album that I always listen to all the way through because it flows so well.
Yes, it was a time when bands would mirror the music by the cover and vice versa, must admit it was a tough call on the One Album it could have any of 15 albums or so from that era...Alan Stivell's Renaissance of the Celtic Harp almost pipped CTTE.

I used to love the fold out album sleeves when we had vinyl - there was that whole thing of opening the cover and reading the lyrics as the music played, also have to agree about playing the 3 tracks: "Close To The Edge" " Side One. "And You And I" & "Siberian Khatru" Side Two. - I still play it at least once a fortnight...I still get Goose bumps now especially the opening with all the birds and the crescendo building up to the the music.

I have the Inner Sleeve of Lyrics (emerald green with black lyrics) as a framed poster, some say Anderson's lyric's are obscure and weird, but for me the lyrics of that Yes album in particular is pure poetry, for me their finest moment in recording history, also the defining album in all of Prog Rock. 8)

These are Print Typed, but the original were in Roger Dean's own hand-writing and very styilsh...

Sigh...Those were the days...No Mortgage, No Wife & Kids...No Divorce... :? Image
Blue tail,tail fly,I sing along but I haven't got a clue what they mean,maybe they mean nothing and it is all about sound scapes.
But it is a beautiful,fully formed work of art,a symbiosis of image and sound.
I don't sound too much like a Patchouli Oil wielding Hippie do I? :D
Just for the record,I do not wear Patchouli Oil,and I am not a Hippie,(well maybe a little bit of one).

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Ah patchouli oil, the smell of my youth :(

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Album Appetite for Destruction.

Band of Brothers book Stephen Ambrose.

Movie Superman - Always liked it but its one of my sons favourites so it makes it double epic.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Album: OU812
Book: Skull Session
Film: Once Upon a Time in America

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Album... All Mod Cons...
Film........Misisippi Burning
Book.....True Grit... Frank McLintock

All subject to change at short notice..

NickF

Post by NickF »

Film - Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
Book - Renegades by Shaun Hutson
Album - this was a really, really tough choice but probably Motley Crue by Motley Crue - it came out when i was just out of college trying to get my first job and I listened to it every day for months.

Some excellent choices by others like Appetite and OU812.

augie

Post by augie »

Album : Feel No Shame (Aslan)
Book : The Colour Of Law (Mark Giminez)
Film : Remember The Titans or A Few Good Men

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

461 Ocean boulevard. Clapton
Shadow of the wind. Carlos Zafon
Gangs of New York.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

I want to see Herds..........List that is.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Film: Pulp Fiction
Album: Marshall Mathers LP
Book: Tough one, because I really only have read trilogies or series. The Hobbit, I guess.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Close To The Edge - Yes

I have my dads original Sgt Pepper album with the sheet of cut out figures / moustache etc and the lyrics printed the back cover, which still gets an airing on special occasions :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:07 pm
Album: OU812
Book: Skull Session
Film: Once Upon a Time in America
:shock:

Had no idea you were a Van Halen fan Spuddy! 8) 8)

Not a particular fan of the group but always liked that album.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Come on DB give us your three...

And Flash!?? Come on where are ya??? :D