The One Album,One Book,One Film Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Rugby Gooner

Re: The One Album,One Book,One Film Thread

Post by Rugby Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:14 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:01 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:19 am
Come on DB give us your three...

And Flash!?? Come on where are ya??? :D
I agree,it is hard to pick just one of each,but that is what makes it intriguing.
It's almost like the distillation of who you are.
Come on DB,Come on Flash,expose yourselves. :lol:
The judge said I can't do that any more... :(

:lol:
:rubchin:

Aaaaaah! I Seee.

So the album would be Famous Blue Raincoat!

Book : The Great Expose of 2005

Fillum; Dirty Little Fuckerr

I would see it as,
Album:- New Boots and Panties, Ian Dury and the Blockheads
Book:- 120 days of Sodom, The Marquis de Sade
Film:- Carry on Camping

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Herd wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm
Transformer Lou Reed
The Illuminatus trilogy Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson
One flew over the cookoo's nest
If you enjoyed the Illuminatus Trilogy and/or other stuff by/about Robert Anton wilson,I recommend these two tomes to you,

The KLF,Chaos,Magic,and the band who burned a million pounds, by John Higgs.
Also by him,
Stranger than we can imagine,(making sense of the Twentieth Century).
Mojo review,"Reading John Higgs is like being shot with a Diamond. Suddenly everything becomes terrifyingly clear,"

Herd

Post by Herd »

If you enjoyed the Illuminatus Trilogy and/or other stuff by/about Robert Anton wilson,I recommend these two tomes to you,

The KLF,Chaos,Magic,and the band who burned a million pounds, by John Higgs.
Also by him,
Stranger than we can imagine,(making sense of the Twentieth Century).
Mojo review,"Reading John Higgs is like being shot with a Diamond. Suddenly everything becomes terrifyingly clear,"
To be honest its been a while since i read them ,worth a revisit but thanks , I probably should have gone for some short story compilations from phillip k dick but i couldn't think of which one !

KLF and dura ,was a ,massive hoax .I remember them well ,loved the Its grim up north shirts in a wham stylee with "what time is love " not to mention 3 am eternal with Tammy ,pure class !

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

There is no way I could narrow it down to just one of each!

That's my problem i can't narrow it down

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:20 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:14 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:01 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

I agree,it is hard to pick just one of each,but that is what makes it intriguing.
It's almost like the distillation of who you are.
Come on DB,Come on Flash,expose yourselves. :lol:
The judge said I can't do that any more... :(

:rubchin:

Aaaaaah! I Seee.

So the album would be Famous Blue Raincoat!

Book : The Great Expose of 2005

Fillum; Dirty Little Fuckerr

I would see it as,
Album:- New Boots and Panties, Ian Dury and the Blockheads
Book:- 120 days of Sodom, The Marquis de Sade
Film:- Carry on Camping

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:30 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

I bet the album is by The Wurzels! :wink: :wink: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

If I answered the 3 questions this week mate, they would most likely be different, so just 'give it a go'....! :D

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

If I answered the 3 questions this week mate, they would most likely be different, so just 'give it a go'....! :D
ok.....

Album : The Strokes - Is this it

Film : Carry on Camping/Rocky

Book : Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev (i'm not a big book reader but this book is outstanding)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

ok.....

Book : Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev (i'm not a big book reader but this book is outstanding)
Wow you've surprised me mate - I love the The Strokes Is this it album :high5:

Not that it matters whether others like or dislike any of our choices..

I hadn't heard of the book but had a quick google and this came up

"In 1942 at the centre point of World War II an extraordinary event took place not on the battlefield but in a municipal stadium in Kiev. This is the true story of courage, team loyalty and fortitude in the face of the most brutal oppression the world had ever seen.

When Hitler initiated Operation Barbarossa in June 1941, he caught the Soviet Union completely by surprise. At breathtaking speed his armies swept east, slaughtering the ill-prepared Soviet forces. His greatest military gains of the entire war were made in a few short months, and the largest single country that he conquered was the Ukraine, roughly the size of France. Ukraine’s capital, Kiev, was circled, assaulted and overrun, and among the city’s defenders who were captured and incarcerated were many of the members of the sparkling 1939 Dynamo Kiev football team, arguably the best in Europe before the war. Captured Kiev was a starving city whose population were deported in vast numbers as slave labour.

However one man determined to save not just the surviving players from the Dynamo side but other athletes. He offered them work, shelter and, most valuable, bread, as workers in his bakery. Inspired by the charismatic goalkeeper Trusevich, the Dynamo side was re-formed as Start FC and a series of fixtures was arranged, all of which the team win handsomely, to such an extent that they inspired Kievan spirits. The final fixture against the Luftwaffe was agreed by the German authorities: a well-fed team from the Fatherland would vanquish the upstart Ukrainians, especially if the game was refereed by an SS officer. The match is an allegory of resistance; its consequences are brutal. Andy Dougan has discovered the truth behind a legendary encounter, sorting fact from fiction and restoring to the centre of World War II a moment of extraordinary poignancy and complex bravery, of which the cliché is demonstrably true: football is not a matter of life or death; it’s much more important than that."

Sounds good.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:37 pm
flash gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

ok.....

"In 1942 at the centre point of World War II an extraordinary event took place not on the battlefield but in a municipal stadium in Kiev. This is the true story of courage, team loyalty and fortitude in the face of the most brutal oppression the world had ever seen.

When Hitler initiated Operation Barbarossa in June 1941, he caught the Soviet Union completely by surprise. At breathtaking speed his armies swept east, slaughtering the ill-prepared Soviet forces. His greatest military gains of the entire war were made in a few short months, and the largest single country that he conquered was the Ukraine, roughly the size of France. Ukraine’s capital, Kiev, was circled, assaulted and overrun, and among the city’s defenders who were captured and incarcerated were many of the members of the sparkling 1939 Dynamo Kiev football team, arguably the best in Europe before the war. Captured Kiev was a starving city whose population were deported in vast numbers as slave labour.

However one man determined to save not just the surviving players from the Dynamo side but other athletes. He offered them work, shelter and, most valuable, bread, as workers in his bakery. Inspired by the charismatic goalkeeper Trusevich, the Dynamo side was re-formed as Start FC and a series of fixtures was arranged, all of which the team win handsomely, to such an extent that they inspired Kievan spirits. The final fixture against the Luftwaffe was agreed by the German authorities: a well-fed team from the Fatherland would vanquish the upstart Ukrainians, especially if the game was refereed by an SS officer. The match is an allegory of resistance; its consequences are brutal. Andy Dougan has discovered the truth behind a legendary encounter, sorting fact from fiction and restoring to the centre of World War II a moment of extraordinary poignancy and complex bravery, of which the cliché is demonstrably true: football is not a matter of life or death; it’s much more important than that."

Sounds good.

You have come on eh?
Last month you were reading

Janet and John Book1.... :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

ok.....

Sounds good.

Why does it suprise you? :)

The book was the only easy choice of the three, honestly i get bored very easily when i read and start thinking about other things but this book had me hooked from the start. If you can have a read im pretty sure you'll love it

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:30 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

ok.....

Sounds good.

Why does it suprise you? :)

The book was the only easy choice of the three, honestly i get bored very easily when i read and start thinking about other things but this book had me hooked from the start. If you can have a read im pretty sure you'll love it
Dunno mate, it's just that DB said you were a Carpenter's Fan. <shrug>

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:41 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

ok.....

Sounds good.

You have come on eh?
Last month you were reading

Janet and John Book1.... :lol:

At least my J&J books pages aren't tuck together with stale sperm like yours mate! :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

[color=#FF0000 wrote:OneBardGooner[/color]]

Dunno mate, it's just that DB said you were a Carpenter's Fan. <shrug>

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 am
[color=#FF0000 wrote:OneBardGooner[/color]]