"Glasto"

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Rugby Gooner

"Glasto"

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Or as it used to be known,The Glastonbury Festival.
I see a lot of parallels with Glastonbury and Arsenal.
It used to be a place where people went to meet,share ideas,and converse with people who shared the same ideals and hopes,and watched stuff that, as a collective we enjoyed together,in a sacred area which itself was a part of the experience.
Now it is just another place for selfie-stick wielding dicks to "tick off" on their tourist,"must do" shit list.
They have no concept of the original intentions,no clue about the politics or aims that were there then,and no soul.
Even the organisers are now a corporate fucking machine.They have cash point machines disguised as trees for fucks sake.
I hope that it pisses down on them all weekend,it will give them a chance to show off their designer wellies.

Brightonnxtround

Re: "Glasto"

Post by Brightonnxtround »

I mean headliners in recent years have been a joke dinosaurs who should know better

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Watching on BBC 4 ! That Liam Gallagher is a talentless *word censored*!!!!!!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I see Jeremy held another youth rally today . Not sure what it's got to do with music. Unless the Temptations were singing his mantra :- Vote for me and I'll set you free.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

I worked at Glastonbury for a couple of years when it restarted in 1981/82,for CND.
It was great then,the proper mix of the music,the spirituality of the place,and the political.
Now it is just another date on the fucking Hipster calendar.tick it off,then move on to V-festival or whatever.
It wasn't about making wads of cash,or fashion,it was about gathering with like minded people to share ideas and a couple of fields.
Now it is just a vapid,soul less ,commercial selfie fest.
They are all just sucking satans cock.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Another memory of the 1982 one,was Stan Banks,the "Chair" of West Midlands CND,and a veteran of the Aldermaston marches,showing me two versions of a badge that he was going to produce for sale to raise funds.
It had a purple background,with a Rainbow,and the CND symbol,and the slogan,"Give peace a chance."
He was canvassing opinion whether to have the Rainbow through,or behind the CND symbol.
My opinion was behind the symbol,and he agreed,and for the following few years,whenever I saw that badge being sold,I smiled at having a little bit to do with its creation.
Stan used the,"Give peace a chance" thing as he was John Lennon mad after the ex-Beatle had given him a caravan in the early 70's for CND to use.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm
Agreed,Noel was always the brains behind Oasis,Liam was just about attitude,and a bit of copied style.

NickF

Post by NickF »

The festival is normally sold out before the headliners are even announced.

It is not a proper music festival it is somewhere to be seem, witness Corbyn being there. Not sure he was at Download a few weeks ago (although it was a sh*t lineup).

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:50 pm
I worked at Glastonbury for a couple of years when it restarted in 1981/82,for CND.
It was great then,the proper mix of the music,the spirituality of the place,and the political.
Now it is just another date on the fucking Hipster calendar.tick it off,then move on to V-festival or whatever.
It wasn't about making wads of cash,or fashion,it was about gathering with like minded people to share ideas and a couple of fields.
Now it is just a vapid,soul less ,commercial selfie fest.
They are all just sucking satans cock.
Bit harsh on Corbyn, mate. :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 pm

It is not a proper music festival it is somewhere to be seem, witness Corbyn being there. Not sure he was at Download a few weeks ago (although it was a sh*t lineup).
:shock:

You do know System of a Down, Prophets of Rage, Five Finger Death Punch, Biffy Clyro, Coheed & Cambria, Suicidal Tendencies, Devin Townsend, Creeper and Opeth were at it, right? You do know that, right? :box: :censored:

Okay, fucking BalladSmith were there too, but you can't let an old drag queen like Steven Tyler ruin a whole festival for you! :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm
Yes. Yes, he is. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm
Or as it used to be known,The Glastonbury Festival.
I see a lot of parallels with Glastonbury and Arsenal.
It used to be a place where people went to meet,share ideas,and converse with people who shared the same ideals and hopes,and watched stuff that, as a collective we enjoyed together,in a sacred area which itself was a part of the experience.
Now it is just another place for selfie-stick wielding dicks to "tick off" on their tourist,"must do" shit list.
They have no concept of the original intentions,no clue about the politics or aims that were there then,and no soul.
Even the organisers are now a corporate fucking machine.They have cash point machines disguised as trees for fucks sake.
I hope that it pisses down on them all weekend,it will give them a chance to show off their designer wellies.
Perfect description. 8)

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am
NickF wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 pm

:shock:

You do know System of a Down, Prophets of Rage, Five Finger Death Punch, Biffy Clyro, Coheed & Cambria, Suicidal Tendencies, Devin Townsend, Creeper and Opeth were at it, right? You do know that, right? :box: :censored:

Okay, fucking BalladSmith were there too, but you can't let an old drag queen like Steven Tyler ruin a whole festival for you! :lol: :wink:
I would have seen Five Finger Death Punch (although you never know if the singers going to turn up), Aerosmith and Dead Daisies.
Went the previous 2 years when it was more Drownload with the rain.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I won't go to Glastonbury on principal.

Until Steps are headlining the pyramid stage I'm not going!

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm
I won't go to Glastonbury on principal.

Until Steps are headlining the pyramid stage I'm not going!
S Club 7 were much more cutting edge and relevant to the Kids. :lol: