The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

northbank123

Re: EU referendum - What will you vote?

Post by northbank123 »

Great post - it's not a wrong or right choice and just because the financial markets matter most to one person doesn't mean that another person is wrong for prioritising immigration, house prices, sovereignty or travel convenience.

I keep seeing statistics about how university graduates are likely to vote. Who gives a fuck? Your vote is worth the same whether you have a degree or not.

Whilst disillusionment with the political establishment has probably brought this referendum about earlier, if we vote to leave it will not be because of the failure of Remain politicians to engage with the public bht simply because people are sick of the EU and how it functions

I will vote out for the same reason as Granada's second point. Long-term the EU is a mess and all of its negative points are only going to get worse. Am I worried about the economic impact? Of course, and some short-term pain seems inevitable. That just doesn't tip the scales for me though.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

the remain argument seems to be largely fueled by branding anyone who wants to leave as "bigoted or xenophobic".

chippy, what can you tell me to convince me that we should stay in the eu? other than saying the economy might go tits up, i don't really give a shit about the big banks. how will it effect me directly? 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

French economic minister says that leaving the EU as significant as Guernsey.

Leave campaign must be rubbing their hands at comments like that from foreign politicians.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

There seems to be a campaign to antagonise us.The French comandeering ferries to transport their north coast migrants. Germans stating that once we leave there's no coming back. They obviously don't know us that we'll. R

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Top Londoner wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:"Are we out yet?"

I fucking hope so, but,,,,,,,,,
don't let the educated elite on here to allow us to think for ourselves to vote out.
We're not worthy.

WENGER OUT.

BREXIT
Yes education is a terrible thing. Let's put our trust in Nigel "I think the doctors have got it wrong on smoking," and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (Eton and Oxford).

You really are an arrogant twat, aren't you?
Do as I say and not as I do, ring a bell?
It's prats like you that are blinkered, as you only see the future for you and your own.
Anyone that has a different opinion to yours is a conspiracy theorist. :roll: Great argument.

:roll:
Praise the lord TL has recognised this as well :barscarf: 8)
Look back at the posts. I haven't told you to do anything. You know nothing of me and my own.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Still voting out

denhaaggooner

Post by denhaaggooner »

I really don't know where all the polls are being conducted as all the forums I go on are roughly the same as this one 72% to leave and even talking to people every day I have only had one or two who want to remain how is it then that the polls are showing it nearly 50/50 !!! Me I am out, how can we justify all that loss of British lives in the 2 world wars and then just give it all away , the poor guys must have been terrified going over the top but they did it for Britain not fucking Rumania , Lithuania and definitely not the Krauts . :evil: :evil:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

If the personal insults and abuse don't stop I'm locking this thread.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:the remain argument seems to be largely fueled by branding anyone who wants to leave as "bigoted or xenophobic".

chippy, what can you tell me to convince me that we should stay in the eu? other than saying the economy might go tits up, i don't really give a shit about the big banks. how will it effect me directly? 8)
Saying we shouldn't worry about the economic effects is a bit like the "What did the Romans ever do for us?" bit in Life of Brian. The EU has massively contributed to the wealth of this country, and leaving will seriously damage that wealth, having a negative effect on house prices, wages, taxation inflation, the governments ability to spend money on the NHS, education etc...

But to give some answers to your other point
The risks of quitting the EU are not to be sniffed at. But there are also plenty reasons to feel warm and fuzzy about our membership.

Better deals, more opportunities

The EU’s single market spurs businesses to compete, which gives you lower prices and the best offers. EU action launched the age of low-cost flying and means you soon won’t pay pesky mobile roaming charges when you travel in Europe. The EU fines multinationals that seek to dodge taxes or conspire to rip off consumers. And new EU digital plans would mean you can shop around for the best deals online and keep watching your favourite iPlayer or Netflix shows when you travel.

Boosting our world-beating universities

UK universities get the lion’s share of EU science and innovation funding. They also attract the best European talent. No wonder the heads of over 100 British universities support staying in the EU, as do authoritative journals like Nature and the British Medical Journal.

Fighting for progressive values

EU fundamental rights bar discrimination on grounds of gender, race, religion, disability or age. The EU also sets rules on holiday pay and maternity leave, so competition doesn’t mean a race to the bottom. EU environmental rules have reduced air pollution, cleaned up our beaches and protected our natural habitats. EU courts have slapped down homophobia in eastern Europe.

Global influence

EU membership projects and amplifies our voice in the world, enabling us to take a united stand against Iran for its nuclear programme and against Russia for invading Crimea. It also makes us valuable to allies like the US.

Britain can get what it wants by cooperating with our neighbours. After the UK set tough climate targets in 2008, we got the EU to pledge to slash carbon emissions by 40%. Working as a bloc then helped Europe secure an ambitious climate change agreement at talks last year in Paris.

The EU and its member states are the world’s largest development donors. Acting together helps us better tackle poverty, conflicts and inequality.

The benefits of free movement

As EU members, UK citizens are free to travel, live, work, study or retire in other European countries without visas or work permits. About 1.2 million Brits reside elsewhere in the EU, not to mention those living there for part of the year. In 2014 alone nearly 40,000 of us studied, worked or volunteered abroad under the EU’s Erasmus+ programme. In one survey, 57% of young Brits say they’d like to work abroad in future.

EU migrants to the UK, meanwhile, mostly come to work, and contribute billions more to the economy in taxes than they use in public services. About 130,000 of them work in the NHS and in care homes. We would “surely miss” the benefit they bring, says NHS chief Simon Stevens.

Peace and democracy

Leaving wouldn’t lead to World War Three, but it would mean abandoning our role in an organisation that has made a big contribution to fostering peace in our backyard. Created to prevent a repeat of World War Two, the EU has helped ex-dictatorships and communist regimes from Spain to Poland to Croatia become liberal democracies.
http://infacts.org/project-positivity-6 ... ents-eu-2/

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:If the personal insults and abuse don't stop I'm locking this thread.
FUCK OFF SHORTY :lol:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

DB10GOONER wrote:If the personal insults and abuse don't stop I'm locking this thread.

Then lock the fucking thing.

One of the mods on here reckons that, unless you vote to stay in, then you are uneducated.
He judges people through his own eyes and experiences..
Instead of asking about one's background and reasons to vote out, he just calls for Brexit supporters to wear tin foil hats. Great example. :roll:

Probably has a property portfolio that's about to go tits up.

We've had depressions in the economy every decade, since the last war, and we'll sure exist the one coming from leaving the Common Market. It's just the greedy capitalists that want to protect their investments and assets, that are screaming like bitches.
Let them burn, and welcome to our world.

:censored: :banghead: :censored:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I can agree with your premise on the unelected house of Lords who can alter proposals made by our elected government after debate by Parliament. I believe that the second house should be much smaller and made up from a proportional group based on the share of the vote at a general election. We are all aware that our government is frequently voted in by a first past the post system albeit they have a minority of the votes cast. A proportional second chamber would give a "handbrake " to a run amock government.

You could argue however that the E.u system is equally undemocratic because the parliament and council only get to discuss the proposals put forward by the undemocratically elected commission which is the only body allowed to bring forward the proposals for discussion.

Neither system is perfect but I think that with the will of the people our system can be and needs to be changed, sadly I don't think the will of the people means that much to the E.U commission.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Top Londoner wrote:

Then lock the fucking thing.

One of the mods on here reckons that, unless you vote to stay in, then you are uneducated.
He judges people through his own eyes and experiences..
Instead of asking about one's background and reasons to vote out, he just calls for Brexit supporters to wear tin foil hats. Great example. :roll:

Probably has a property portfolio that's about to go tits up.

We've had depressions in the economy every decade, since the last war, and we'll sure exist the one coming from leaving the Common Market. It's just the greedy capitalists that want to protect their investments and assets, that are screaming like bitches.
Let them burn, and welcome to our world.

:censored: :banghead: :censored:
I'm all over this TL, I run my own business and have done for 15 years, I've read up on many many pros and cons and I have formed my own educated opinion.

What I haven't done is try and impunge my opinion on others, I think chippy is employed by the stay in campaign or is lacking in foresight.

I could quite easily copy and paste a thousand reasons from various educated individuals to leave but it's everyone's duty to inform themselves and make their own judgement.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »