Skydive - Paul Smith OBE (fundraising thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Basil is a Gooner

Skydive - Paul Smith OBE (fundraising thread)

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

Fellow Gooners,

Please support my good friend Paul Smith OBE in his latest challenge! He needs to raise £5000 by the 10th August to be able to do this Skydive so I hope you can support him in raising money for these worthwhile causes! Paul received his OBE this year for his fundraising (thanks to all of you who have supported him in the past) and only accepted this honour as a way of thanking his family and friends during his previous challenges.

Thanks for your support! :barscarf:

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Rea ... e=Facebook

There is a poster to go with this but I havent worked out how to post it yet!

DB10GOONER

Re: Skydive - Paul Smith OBE (fundraising thread)

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm making this a sticky until 10th August. Hoping it will help raise the funds for this extraordinary and amazingly brave bloke.

Best of luck, Paul. :barscarf: 8)

Basil is a Gooner

Thanks DB10 (my fave! :wink: )

Can you keep it until the 19th as that is the actual date for the skydive?

Sorry - still cant post the poster...... :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:Thanks DB10 (my fave! :wink: )

Can you keep it until the 19th as that is the actual date for the skydive?

Sorry - still cant post the poster...... :banghead:
Yep, no probs - will do.

Have you got a link to the poster?

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

£25 going in, Monday week, I get my carers allowance.

Best wishes.

TL

Basil is a Gooner

Basil is a Gooner

Top Londoner wrote:£25 going in, Monday week, I get my carers allowance.

Best wishes.

TL
Cool thanks! :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

:barscarf: Good Luck !

Basil is a Gooner

Just a note from Paul, he is having trouble logging in to the forum due to a new email address and password issue which is he is working on resolving. He wanted me to thank you all for your support and donations - it really means a lot to him! :barscarf:

Master Gooner

Post by Master Gooner »

Top Londoner, thank you got your kind pledge to the skydive fundraiser, it will make a huge difference to a lot of kids!!! :barscarf:

Basil the Gooner, thank you for your continued and kind support!!! :barscarf:

Best Wishes

Paul - Master Gooner.

Master Gooner

Post by Master Gooner »

Herd, I noted your kind donation on the just giving page and only linked your name when Basil the Gooner appointed it out that (OG) and Herd were linked to Online Gooner. I would like to thank you for this donation it will make a huge difference! Best Wishes. Paul :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Master Gooner

Post by Master Gooner »

Thank you to Dave for your kind donation yesterday, it means a lot and will make a difference! Best Wishes

Paul :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Basil is a Gooner

Thanks again guys for supporting Paul - he is working hard in training and appreciates all your support.

There is still time to donate so please help if you can - its all for a good cause.

Master Gooner

Post by Master Gooner »

I've been fundraising since I was 7 years old (just a few pounds here and there) but I would like to tell you about my reason why I have continued on! During my time served in the Royal Navy I was on a visit to Mombassa, Kenya, a commonwealth country, for some R&R. When we make these kind of visits we are sometimes invited to out-lying villages to help refurbish them provide humanitarian aid and mix with the inhabitants and believe it or not have fun playing games with them like football, cricket etc. When we arrived at this particular village we unloaded supplies of paint, food, water, wood and tools and other essentials etc we were immediately made to feel so welcome by the villagers it was unbelievable. This particular village had been suffering the aftermath of draught, so there was no/or very little water the crops had died and so had some of the villagers. It was on a short rest/break I was sat in the shade and I was looking around when I spotted a lady sat in the doorway of her hut with what I thought was a baby wrapped in a blanket, what was left of a blanket. I asked one of the guides that we were with us if I could go across and say hello and if possible have a hold of the baby. The guide went off and came back to say 'yes' the lady had agreed for me to go over and sit with her. When I got to the doorway I discovered what I thought was a baby was in fact a 6 year old girl, who was unwell, the lady handed the girl over to me... In my hands I was literally and gently cuddling a bag of bones, the girl was on the verge of dying because she hadn't eaten for several days and had only a few sips of water. I tried hard to fight back the tears because the little girl was looking up at me and smiling, I sat for a further 10 minutes with her in my arms and her mother sat with us, she looked at me but said nothing, I handed the little girl back to her and as I stood up to go and carry on with work the mother smiled and said "Thank you". After a long day, it was time to leave and return to the ship, I knew deep down that it wouldn't be long before the inevitable would happen and just as we were about the leave Mombassa I got news that the little girl I was holding a few days earlier, died that morning. I also learned that although we couldn't do anything to save her, things could have been so much different if supplies of food and water had arrived at the village a week or so earlier. The memory of holding that young girl will remain with me ALWAYS and this is one reason why my support crew and I have supported Save the Children for over four years, Save the Children have made a huge difference to children's lives both abroad and here in the UK because they 'WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO HELP CHILDREN IN CRISIS' please take a few moments to view the following links and if you can, please visit the fundraising page https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/ReachForTheSky to donate and if you can spare just £1 or whatever you can afford to help 'MAKE A DIFFERENCE’ that would be great. THANK YOU!

http://storycentral.savethechildren.org.uk/
http://storycentral.savethechildren.org.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMt--qQ0KV8
http://www.familiesandschoolstogether.com/resources

Master Gooner

Post by Master Gooner »

Earlier last month I asked UK Parachuting if they would take me up higher than the usual height of 13,500ft (2.5 miles) to do my challenge "REACH FOR THE SKY" skydive, they came back to me with a 'YES' but they added one condition to this. I have to raise a minimum of £5,000 by the 10th August just 12 days, now I fully BELIEVE that this can be achieved but one thing is for sure, I cannot do it alone! The current running total is £1,635, so we're not too far from that £5,000. Please can you help me achieve my ambition of jumping from a height of 21,150ft (4 miles) and in the meantime helping 3 great causes and making a huge difference! Thank you. Best Wishes. Paul :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: