Roberto Martinez named head coach of Belgium

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonertom1995

Roberto Martinez named head coach of Belgium

Post by goonertom1995 »

Who saw this one coming then? :o

Nos89

Re: Roberto Martinez named head coach of Belgium

Post by Nos89 »

Good luck to him, he is a good manager. Will do well at international level. Great squad of young players.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Horrendously overrated side. Barely put in a performance of note during the last two major tournaments, taken one draw and two defeats from 3 competitive games against Wales in the last 18 months yet STILL ranked 2nd in the world?

makes a mockery of the system used to determine seedlings.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:Horrendously overrated side. Barely put in a performance of note during the last two major tournaments, taken one draw and two defeats from 3 competitive games against Wales in the last 18 months yet STILL ranked 2nd in the world?

Are Wales now the barometer for international football standards? :lol: :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Horrendously overrated side. Barely put in a performance of note during the last two major tournaments, taken one draw and two defeats from 3 competitive games against Wales in the last 18 months yet STILL ranked 2nd in the world?

Haha absolutely not - that's my point. Could you imagine Wales taking 7 points in 3 games from the likes of Germany? As much as anything else Wales had dropped down the rankings before the end of the euros, so it surprises me that those results seem to have had no impact on Belgium.

Hal Robson-Kanu is of course the barometer for international strikers now though.

REB

Post by REB »

i always liked him and hope he does well.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Haha absolutely not - that's my point. Could you imagine Wales taking 7 points in 3 games from the likes of Germany? As much as anything else Wales had dropped down the rankings before the end of the euros, so it surprises me that those results seem to have had no impact on Belgium.

Hal Robson-Kanu is of course the barometer for international strikers now though.
Not Giroud??!! :shock:

:D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

REB wrote:i always liked him and hope he does well.

Same as that 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Only manager more boring than wenger :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Wanker would have been the perfect fit for that job. A team of some semi-talented players with a lot of average ones who never turn it on when it matters. He'd have felt right at home.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Have to admit I find myself absolutely whelmed by this appointment. :tumbleweed:

:wink:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Only manager more boring than wenger :roll:
exactly this, a complete tosswit, overrated, crappy barca lite football and he talks utter bollox.

belgium have the manager they deserve. hopefully he wont bother english shores again however if he does semi ok you can just see him replacing our current fuckwit in charge

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
exactly this, a complete tosswit, overrated, crappy barca lite football and he talks utter bollox.

belgium have the manager they deserve. hopefully he wont bother english shores again however if he does semi ok you can just see him replacing our current fuckwit in charge
Tad harsh. :|

For me, he looked a good young manager when he started, tried to get his team to play football rather than just kick people, and looked like he could one day be a top manager, But ultimately he has been found out and is bog average at best.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:

For me, he looked a good young manager when he started, tried to get his team to play football rather than just kick people, and looked like he could one day be a top manager, But ultimately he has been found out and is bog average at best.
you wont think that's harsh when hes our next manager!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:

you wont think that's harsh when hes our next manager!
:lol: :lol:

Initially I'll be in such a post-Wenger honeymoon period that I'll accept whomever we appoint. And yes I would include an inanimate carbon rod in that! :lol: :wink: