Ten Years At The Emirates

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Ten Years At The Emirates

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:My favourite memory is me and tarquin grassing someone up for swearing. Got him thrown out of the ground too :barscarf: 8)
:lol:

Bally good show, old boy! Huzzah! :barscarf:

Please note, however, it is "Tarquin and I", not "me and tarquin". And please do capitalise proper nouns, you utter cad! :oops: :banghead:

:-P :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gp543 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
gp543 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Personally I think the Conglomerates Lego Bowl sucks dead dog cock as a stadium... a soulless corporate seating area for "customers", populated by selfie-obsessed JCL wánkers and their iPads/iPhones.

Memories? :rubchin:

Some bad ones; The 4-4 and the 2-3 against the vermin in particular. :roll: :x

Good memories? Always love a late winner and Henry's against the filth was a great one. :barscarf: Also Fabregas kicking Cashley A-hole up in the air was lovely. :D

But the best one is, as my esteemed colleague SPUDNOSHER :wink: mentioned;

The Grimster beasting Davids and preventing an ex-scum player scoring the first goal at the new place. :barscarf: :lol:
Huntelaar scored in the first half...
Oh. Dear. God. Thank fuck you corrected that... before the world ended. :roll:

For Mr Pedantic I shall rephrase; The Grimster beasting Davids and preventing an ex-scum player scoring a goal at the new place. Is that okay? Will you now sleep tonight? Christ, I dearly hope so.

:lol: :wink: :wink:
Yes. Thank you for your interest in my affairs. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
:lol: :lol:

Sean

Post by Sean »

I went on a tour of Cashburton in 2009 (Before they started to Arsenalize the bowl). I also went to the 2014 FA Cup final screening. Nice looking place, but doesn't feel like home.

After ten years, it's clear that moving to the bowl was the spiritual death of the club. We were sold a dream and it was a fucking lie. It lines the pockets of the board/manager/players and does little else. The gentrification of the club has gone on another level with the masses of Tarquins and tourists - Almost all AKB by default - infesting the place. The new bowl effectively de-Arsenalized the club.

I would love to watch my club play, but not at those prices and not with the current regime in place.

It is ridiculous that we haven't truly christened the place with a title victory. Had we won in 2008 (2010/11/14/16) it may have taken to our hearts a little quicker. I suppose I have gotten used to us playing there, but it does seem to be a harbinger of a decade of failure and negligence on the pitch, watching shite like Denilson and Giroud in our first team and the vanity projects.

As for on-pitch highlights; Henry against Leeds and Arshavin against Barcelona are pretty hard to top. Then there's the 5-2s against the scum and Welbeck against Leicester, when we were fooled into thinking we'd overhaul them and win the title.

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

Sean wrote:I went on a tour of Cashburton in 2009 (Before they started to Arsenalize the bowl). I also went to the 2014 FA Cup final screening. Nice looking place, but doesn't feel like home.

After ten years, it's clear that moving to the bowl was the spiritual death of the club. We were sold a dream and it was a fucking lie. It lines the pockets of the board/manager/players and does little else. The gentrification of the club has gone on another level with the masses of Tarquins and tourists - Almost all AKB by default - infesting the place. The new bowl effectively de-Arsenalized the club.

I would love to watch my club play, but not at those prices and not with the current regime in place.

It is ridiculous that we haven't truly christened the place with a title victory. Had we won in 2008 (2010/11/14/16) it may have taken to our hearts a little quicker. I suppose I have gotten used to us playing there, but it does seem to be a harbinger of a decade of failure and negligence on the pitch, watching shite like Denilson and Giroud in our first team and the vanity projects.

As for on-pitch highlights; Henry against Leeds and Arshavin against Barcelona are pretty hard to top. Then there's the 5-2s against the scum and Welbeck against Leicester, when we were fooled into thinking we'd overhaul them and win the title.
Great post mate!

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

I've got no problem with proper Arsenal who've followed the club for decades, whatever their background, as someone once said The Arsenal has always been as much Highgate as Cally Road & there has always been more affluent supporters who care just as much about the traditions & history of the Arsenal. I've been matches with & travelled & got lashed with many rich Gooners, overseas Gooners & all kinds of Gooners over the years but the majority of our fanbase has now changed into those that despise old school football culture & those people that come from that exact traditional background. :banghead:

What I object to is the new breed of twats, usually middle class or wannabe's who demand that their match day experience should be like a reverent visit to the opera, anyone who makes a slight noise is a boorish oik or common folk who should be kept well way from precious Tarquin & his associates. :banghead:

I haven't been much Cricket nor Rugby but those sports from what I see on TV & hear from mates, seem to have supporters of all backgrounds, who have a good day out, get pissed, have fun with their friends & have a great time.

But these new kind of "fans" don't seem to be the type that would ever go Rugby & Cricket, if they did they wouldn't give a toss about people being loud & pissed, or the odd bit of swearing or fans getting exited during the match. Lads I know manage to get in the MCC members lounge at Lords, where all the old posh lads are totally lashed, boisterous & loud, swearing at each other & generally having fun. :shock:

These new breed of "fans" who won't even encourage the team and you don't even have to sing to do that, these muppets don't even cheer or jump about if a goal gets scored, & then the have the front to look down with disgust on those that might attempt to start a song or shout encouragement to the players. Why are these twats even at games, usually the same twats leave with 15 minutes to go to avoid the rush, even on Saturday games. :cussing:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:I've got no problem with proper Arsenal who've followed the club for decades, whatever their background, as someone once said The Arsenal has always been as much Highgate as Cally Road & there has always been more affluent supporters who care just as much about the traditions & history of the Arsenal. I've been matches with & travelled & got lashed with many rich Gooners, overseas Gooners & all kinds of Gooners over the years but the majority of our fanbase has now changed into those that despise old school football culture & those people that come from that exact traditional background. :banghead:

What I object to is the new breed of twats, usually middle class or wannabe's who demand that their match day experience should be like a reverent visit to the opera, anyone who makes a slight noise is a boorish oik or common folk who should be kept well way from precious Tarquin & his associates. :banghead:

I haven't been much Cricket nor Rugby but those sports from what I see on TV & hear from mates, seem to have supporters of all backgrounds, who have a good day out, get pissed, have fun with their friends & have a great time.

But these new kind of "fans" don't seem to be the type that would ever go Rugby & Cricket, if they did they wouldn't give a toss about people being loud & pissed, or the odd bit of swearing or fans getting exited during the match. Lads I know manage to get in the MCC members lounge at Lords, where all the old posh lads are totally lashed, boisterous & loud, swearing at each other & generally having fun. :shock:

These new breed of "fans" who won't even encourage the team and you don't even have to sing to do that, these muppets don't even cheer or jump about if a goal gets scored, & then the have the front to look down with disgust on those that might attempt to start a song or shout encouragement to the players. Why are these twats even at games, usually the same twats leave with 15 minutes to go to avoid the rush, even on Saturday games. :cussing:
Good post, mate. I've seen it in the Conglomerates Bowl so many times, the fuckers that arrive late, spend half the game on their phone or iPad, don't sing or chant, look at you like you're are the greatest pleb in the world because you do sing and chant, and then they fuck off on the 80 to 85 minute mark. These cúnts are as responsible for the death of the game every bit as much as Skysports and greedy owners and mercenary players and corporate cuntology. :x :twisted:

I would love to take a couple of these JCL twats in a time machine back to the 1980's when you stood freezing and crushed on a concrete terrace, when a goal meant getting surfed 50 yards away from your mates, and when you hoped someone didn't try and piss in your pocket! :lol: :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

scotgooner wrote:
Sean wrote:I went on a tour of Cashburton in 2009 (Before they started to Arsenalize the bowl). I also went to the 2014 FA Cup final screening. Nice looking place, but doesn't feel like home.

Great post mate!

did not get sucked to this "dream" could not believe last day at Highbury all these wankers saying its for the best....has to be done

Only go very occasionally even then get into rows with tossers around me or stewards or outside with old bill herding you like fucking sheep

jumped a barrier and walked in the road las time...fucking plod just trying to annoy people with there barriers

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
scotgooner wrote:

Great post mate!

did not get sucked to this "dream" could not believe last day at Highbury all these wankers saying its for the best....has to be done

Only go very occasionally even then get into rows with tossers around me or stewards or outside with old bill herding you like fucking sheep

jumped a barrier and walked in the road las time...fucking plod just trying to annoy people with there barriers
Really? Not having a pop at you here, mate - but I honestly doubt anyone didn't buy into the move to some degree at the time. Maybe you didn't buy into it, but if that is true then I'd say you were one of about 3 people that didn't! Hindsight is a great thing as they say and I do view claims like yours (respectfully) with a pinch of salt (a bit like when augie claims he wanted Wenger gone in 2007!! :D :wink: ). But I'm not calling you a liar - if you say you didn't then I accept that. 8)

I don't mind admitting I bought into it at the time. Yes I was terribly sad to leave Highbury which I thought was the most beautiful stadium I've ever been in (and I've been in most of the famous and infamous ones around England and Europe). I'd hoped there was some way to stay in THOF.

If you think back to that time, the club/board had delivered the goods since 1986 - 5 league titles, 5 FA Cups, 2 League cups and the ECWC (including 2 "proper" doubles, a previously unheard-of cup double, and an Invincible season) between the two best managers we've ever had (GG and pre-2008 Wenger). Anyone that claims they don't view that as the club/board delivering the goods is a lying twat tbh. And, it has to be remembered, that success was during eras when first a practically unbeatable Liverpool and then later the financially rich Manure were dominant.

So when the board that had delivered so much success said we were moving to compete with Europe's elite and the PL's newly-pimped clubs, we put our trust in them to deliver again, we believed they were honestly trying to move the footballing side of the club forward - and they did it without leveraging the debt and risking the club's future like the Glasers did at the manc. All looked rosy.

Unfortunately it turned out we were hoodwinked and the board were only motivated by greed and pride and arrogance, not footballing success. So, again with hindsight, I think the move was the worst thing that ever happened to The Arsenal. We sold our soul, left our spiritual home behind, pissed on our traditions, and we have exactly what to show for it? Are we competing with the elite of Europe? Are we winning PL titles? Are we fuck. :roll: :x

Generally speaking, we "averaged" a league title every 4 years in the 20 years between GG's appointment in 1986 and the move out of Highbury. I would go back to that, if that's what staying in our beloved beautiful Highbury meant, in the blink of an eye. A title every 4 years whilst getting to walk up those steps onto the famous North Bank? Fuck yeah. 8)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
scotgooner wrote:

Great post mate!

Really? Not having a pop at you here, mate - but I honestly doubt anyone didn't buy into the move to some degree at the time. Maybe you didn't buy into it, but if that is true then I'd say you were one of about 3 people that didn't! Hindsight is a great thing as they say and I do view claims like yours (respectfully) with a pinch of salt (a bit like when augie claims he wanted Wenger gone in 2007!! :D :wink: ). But I'm not calling you a liar - if you say you didn't then I accept that. 8)

I don't mind admitting I bought into it at the time. Yes I was terribly sad to leave Highbury which I thought was the most beautiful stadium I've ever been in (and I've been in most of the famous and infamous ones around England and Europe). I'd hoped there was some way to stay in THOF.

If you think back to that time, the club/board had delivered the goods since 1986 - 5 league titles, 5 FA Cups, 2 League cups and the ECWC (including 2 "proper" doubles, a previously unheard-of cup double, and an Invincible season) between the two best managers we've ever had (GG and pre-2008 Wenger). Anyone that claims they don't view that as the club/board delivering the goods is a lying twat tbh. And, it has to be remembered, that success was during eras when first a practically unbeatable Liverpool and then later the financially rich Manure were dominant.

So when the board that had delivered so much success said we were moving to compete with Europe's elite and the PL's newly-pimped clubs, we put our trust in them to deliver again, we believed they were honestly trying to move the footballing side of the club forward - and they did it without leveraging the debt and risking the club's future like the Glasers did at the manc. All looked rosy.

Unfortunately it turned out we were hoodwinked and the board were only motivated by greed and pride and arrogance, not footballing success. So, again with hindsight, I think the move was the worst thing that ever happened to The Arsenal. We sold our soul, left our spiritual home behind, pissed on our traditions, and we have exactly what to show for it? Are we competing with the elite of Europe? Are we winning PL titles? Are we fuck. :roll: :x

Generally speaking, we "averaged" a league title every 4 years in the 20 years between GG's appointment in 1986 and the move out of Highbury. I would go back to that, if that's what staying in our beloved beautiful Highbury meant, in the blink of an eye. A title every 4 years whilst getting to walk up those steps onto the famous North Bank? Fuck yeah. 8)

Absolutely true...i HATE all seater stadiums...maybe thats just me but i like standing up
Being able to move about have some banter and meet others...in a seat you can be stuck next to someone you want to batter within 10 minutes

Loved Highbury...it WAS the Arsenal...Art Deco stand....its own station....place was steeped in history....bust of Herbert Chapman
could sing outside the ground and the players would look out of the windows.....so many other fans were jealous of our tradition and history

It was worth fighting for...standing on the Northbank waiting for West Ham or in the Man Utd away section in the clock, in those days that was par for the course., it was a Working class game

Its where my dad went to se games all his life and where i followed tradition

The characters are gone now...replaced by god knows what...the fans are used to being treated like sheep totally docile no passion

Thats progress i guess....but i still got all my memories, great laughs, and high drama and of course being bored shitless whilst freezing your bollox off

FUCK THE SOULLESS BOWL and Wenger

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
scotgooner wrote:

Great post mate!

Absolutely true...i HATE all seater stadiums...maybe thats just me but i like standing up
Being able to move about have some banter and meet others...in a seat you can be stuck next to someone you want to batter within 10 minutes

Loved Highbury...it WAS the Arsenal...Art Deco stand....its own station....place was steeped in history....bust of Herbert Chapman
could sing outside the ground and the players would look out of the windows.....so many other fans were jealous of our tradition and history

It was worth fighting for...standing on the Northbank waiting for West Ham or in the Man Utd away section in the clock, in those days that was par for the course., it was a Working class game

Its where my dad went to se games all his life and where i followed tradition

The characters are gone now...replaced by god knows what...the fans are used to being treated like sheep totally docile no passion

Thats progress i guess....but i still got all my memories, great laughs, and high drama and of course being bored shitless whilst freezing your bollox off

FUCK THE SOULLESS BOWL and Wenger
Sorry, yeah I think I misread your original meaning. I too hate all-seater stadium for football and I thought making the two ends at Highbury all seater took a little something away from them. And with the nazi-stewards at the Conglomerates throwing people out for continuous standing I dislike the place even more. :x

Also, one of the most despicable things I've ever heard of in over 40 years of being a football supporter is the text-a-steward "service". :cussing: :censored:

Sean

Post by Sean »

I think that Cashburton could have taken to our hearts had we still been a winning team. TOF's distancing from the fans over the years and the club's general aloofness toward it's 'customers' hasn't helped.

Had the Invincibles happened there and they had reasonable ticket prices, it wouldn't be the soul-less bowl that the club seemingly want it to be. They don't care about erasing our history. It's all sterile 'new-Arsenal'... Arsene FC.

As it is, they are chasing the coin. Club Level takes in more money than the whole of Highbury did. Tarquin and his pals from Japan want to watch some 'footy' and spend a few hundred in the club shop.

Why did our club have to turn into this?

:suicide:
scotgooner wrote:Great post mate!
Cheers, pal :cheers:
DB10GOONER wrote:Unfortunately it turned out we were hoodwinked and the board were only motivated by greed and pride and arrogance, not footballing success. So, again with hindsight, I think the move was the worst thing that ever happened to The Arsenal. We sold our soul, left our spiritual home behind, pissed on our traditions, and we have exactly what to show for it? Are we competing with the elite of Europe? Are we winning PL titles? Are we fuck. :roll: :x

Spot on :(
DB10GOONER wrote:Sorry, yeah I think I misread your original meaning. I too hate all-seater stadium for football and I thought making the two ends at Highbury all seater took a little something away from them. And with the nazi-stewards at the Conglomerates throwing people out for continuous standing I dislike the place even more. :x

Also, one of the most despicable things I've ever heard of in over 40 years of being a football supporter is the text-a-steward "service". :cussing: :censored:
The Taylor Report and Sky 'inventing football in 1992' fucked it all up :banghead:

We had the best of both; seats and terraces. Being forced to make the North Bank and Clock End all seater brought the capacity right down and basically put us on the road to move to Cashburton, especially with our Beloved Highbury being hemmed in by roads and houses. We couldn't even fill in the corners for several reasons.

No-one likes a snitch, especially a Tarquin snitch :censored:

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

The club missed so many opportunities when the new stadium was opened. No Clock End clock and not even a Clock End, North Bank, West Stand or East Stand... Instead Red, Green, Blue and Yellow Zones!!!

Also too many pics of foreign "fans" (customers) plastered around the ground with their stories of how they came to support (buy goods from) the club.

I don't care if somebody is from Islington or Timbuktoo, if you're Arsenal, you're Arsenal, but this was blatant commercialism from the club and only served to alienate match going local fans.

The stadium was initially a grey concrete bowl. This has been improved over time with the "Arsenalisation". But concourses could still be improved inside the stadium.

The Wonder Of You a bizarre choice of song for the teams to come out to and the bemused fans never got the decency of an explanation why this was being forced upon us. The club finally caved in and stopped playing it but again damage already done and fan/club relationship damaged.

Arsenal will always be my club and I will always go if I can afford to but new stadium ticket prices a blatant commercial exploitation of fan loyalty and opportunism of discarding and alienating the traditional working class less affluent supporter in exchange for the new breed of less regular but heavier spending spectator.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Won two tickets at a football club reunion to Ireland V Oman last night..Seats were in the President's Box, free food and wine prior to game..I have been at one international since 1990 and dozens before then...Brought a fellow Goner along..It smacked of everything that is wrong with football (and I accept I was a hypocrite by going) but football was the least important thing on the night for many there...Just a social occasion rather than a sporting one..think Arsenal PLC has become something similar, enjoy the experience which includes spending your money..

beck

Post by beck »

scotgooner wrote:very Meh about the Emirates. Lovely looking stadium but with an infamously shit atmosphere.

Never had the privilege of going to Highbury but I bet there was a good noisey atmosphere at it.

Best game I've been to at the emirates was the second 5-2 scum game ... great day :barscarf:
I went to highbury for 36 years
Plenty of nights at highbury where the loudest it got was the slamming of seats as disgruntled fans left early during a disappointing performance
In the dreadful 75/76 we lost twice at home to everton in a week
The 2 nd one being in the league cup with 22'000 people
Transfer listed alan ball strolling about not giving a fuck
The only glimmer a young Stapleton emerging
I was 12
At the same age I took my daughter to the emirates in 07 when we beat chelsea when Gallas scored and it was rocking
History does that
Legends never had a bad day and highbury was always a cauldron
It wasn't
We outgrew highbury
When the emirates rocks it knocks it into a cocked hat
We need a manager with the bollocks to take the club where the move should take us
The move was a sound one

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

beck wrote:
scotgooner wrote:very Meh about the Emirates. Lovely looking stadium but with an infamously shit atmosphere.

Never had the privilege of going to Highbury but I bet there was a good noisey atmosphere at it.

Best game I've been to at the emirates was the second 5-2 scum game ... great day :barscarf:
I went to highbury for 36 years
Plenty of nights at highbury where the loudest it got was the slamming of seats as disgruntled fans left early during a disappointing performance
In the dreadful 75/76 we lost twice at home to everton in a week
The 2 nd one being in the league cup with 22'000 people
Transfer listed alan ball strolling about not giving a fuck
The only glimmer a young Stapleton emerging
I was 12
At the same age I took my daughter to the emirates in 07 when we beat chelsea when Gallas scored and it was rocking
History does that
Legends never had a bad day and highbury was always a cauldron
It wasn't
We outgrew highbury
When the emirates rocks it knocks it into a cocked hat
We need a manager with the bollocks to take the club where the move should take us
The move was a sound one
A non-descript stadium, replicated in Lisbon. They didn't even want to stick the clock up.

My bet is spurs stadium will be better.