Forest away in league cup

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Forest away in league cup

Post by SteveO 35 »

I would still say that Forest's 2 European Cup wins was the greatest footballing achievement in my lifetime and will never happen again i.e. a provincial club rises from nowhere and wins the biggest prize in football twice.

It pisses me off no end when people say "oh football was different then" - not really. They still had a massive financial disadvantage against the major clubs in this country and in an era when top players fucked off to Italy because that's where the big wages were paid. If it was so fucking easy to win it back then, we'd have done it wouldn't we?

Would like to see them back up in the top flight and gutted to be missing this due to business commitments - proper team, proper cup, proper ground

Herd

Post by Herd »

lived in burton ot for a short while whilst clough was at derby . hated them so used to drop into forest . mufc were in the 2nd . still have forest m8s look forwrd to seeing them again.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Next game up now.

Who will be in the starting line-up? Will we give Forest a buy into the next round? :roll:

It'd be nice to win this trophy. It's ridiculous that we've only won it twice in our history.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Sean wrote:Next game up now.

Who will be in the starting line-up? Will we give Forest a buy into the next round? :roll:

It'd be nice to win this trophy. It's ridiculous that we've only won it twice in our history.
Both times we won it we beat Forest on the way (didn't we?)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Forest have a unique record in Europe.. They are the only club to have won the European Cup / Champions League more times than their domestic league...they are also the first and possibly only European Champions to be relegated to the third tier of their domestic leagues..
Think we are on a hiding to nothing here..they are showing a bit of form and will be up for this..

Sean

Post by Sean »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sean wrote:Next game up now.

Both times we won it we beat Forest on the way (didn't we?)
I looked it up and you're right! We beat them 2-0 in the 5th round in both cup runs :mrgreen: :barscarf: 8)

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Bit of nostalgia on how our DNA /Colours came to be you ignorant feckers... :D :barscarf:

In 1886, before the Club became professional, a small group of Nottingham Forest players, Fred Beardsley, Bill Parr and Charlie Bates, joined Dial Square FC, (the Club's first name) and brought their old red kit along with them.
Working to a tight budget, the Club decided the most inexpensive way of acquiring a strip was to kit out the team in the same colour as the ex-Forest players. This original kit comprised a dark red shirt with long sleeves, a collar and three buttons down the front. The shirt was worn with white knee length shorts and heavy woollen socks with blue and white hoops. The goalkeeper wore the same attire apart from the shirt, which was a hand knitted cream woollen polo neck jumper.

It was this dark red kit that the team wore during their first season at Highbury in 1913/14. Beardsley, Parr and Bates' generosity in providing shirts and inspiring the Club to play in red encouraged several other teams to follow Arsenal's lead. One of the most famous examples is Sparta Prague whose president, Dr Petric, visited London in 1906. He returned home to Czechoslovakia after having watched Woolwich Arsenal and was so inspired by the kit that he demanded his team play in the same colours. Today, Sparta Prague continue to play in the same dark red kit, not dissimilar to Arsenal's 2005/06 redcurrant.

essem

Post by essem »

What's pubs are gooner friendly?

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Nos89 wrote:Clough was only great with Peter Taylor next to him. When you look at the success Clough had it was with Taylor. Admittedly, the league cups wins in 1989 and 1990 was down Clough's last stand , similar to Wenger 2014 & 2015 FA Cup wins. But they were as far away a league title contenders as we are now.
Don't forget Clough took them back down to where he joined them from.
We'll draw 1 - 1. Injury robbed England of a great player when Cloughy was injured. I wish we had a player like him up front !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

grrr cant get a lift , no trains back n no coaches wtf

might have to risk a train up and try ponce a lift back !

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Really looking forward to this. Haven't been there since the late 80s when we used to stand in the corner.
Marvellous

Herd

Post by Herd »

Lift sorted be there b4 5 !

cant wait tio see the lord Bendtner in action !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:I would still say that Forest's 2 European Cup wins was the greatest footballing achievement in my lifetime and will never happen again i.e. a provincial club rises from nowhere and wins the biggest prize in football twice.

It pisses me off no end when people say "oh football was different then" - not really. They still had a massive financial disadvantage against the major clubs in this country and in an era when top players fucked off to Italy because that's where the big wages were paid. If it was so fucking easy to win it back then, we'd have done it wouldn't we?

Would like to see them back up in the top flight and gutted to be missing this due to business commitments - proper team, proper cup, proper ground
I don't think it was "easy" to win the European Cup back then, but the knock out structure and less commercial sponsorship money certainly made it "possible" for a team like Forest to win it. But of course that alone wasn't why they won it; they had a management team that got the absolute best from their players - and a lot of people in the game put that partly down to Peter Taylor's work on the training ground.

The only thing I'd say is that whilst Forest might have been at a serious financial disadvantage against the major clubs on their way to winning that league title, they were still the first club to buy a £1million player in Trevor Francis. In fact the actual transfer was £1,150,000, which included a 15% commission paid to the Football League! So I don't think we can say they had a "massive" financial disadvantage in Europe.

It's still one of the greatest achievements in football though. There is no denying that. But when you add in the wheeler dealer and bung activity that Cloughy was "allegedly" :wink: up to, the fairy tale ain't quite as pure and lovely as some would have us believe...

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

I wonder if in years to come it will discovered that Clueless is/was a 'brown envelope bung merchant' and yet still failed.

:?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote::rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

I wonder if in years to come it will discovered that Clueless is/was a 'brown envelope bung merchant' and yet still failed.

:?
TBH I doubt it, mate. There really is no need for a PL manager at one of the big clubs to take bungs nowadays - they are paid an absolute fortune. Why risk it? For a few grand? Even a few hundred grand? It'd be a stupid risk to take.

But still, nothing would surprise me either! cough! Who said Harry Redknapp?! cough!! cough!! :lol: :wink: