The Reason vs Superstition Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: The LIES v Religion Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

:moderator:

Worst.
Vanity.
Thread.
Ever.

:lol: :wink: :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote: :moderator:

Worst.
Vanity.
Thread.
Ever.

Starting to question your beliefs????

Don't worry. We'll find room for you with the enlightened folk.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: :moderator:

Worst.
Vanity.
Thread.
Ever.

Starting to question your beliefs????

Don't worry. We'll find room for you with the enlightened folk.

Here's one.

olgitgooner

Re: The Reason vs Superstition Thread

Post by olgitgooner »

Regarding children's induction into belief systems......I offer you this gem from Dave Allen talking about his childhood and the particular religion he was born into :D

https://youtu.be/nNsUIDobj5g

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

olgitgooner wrote:Regarding children's induction into belief systems......I offer you this gem from Dave Allen talking about his childhood and the particular religion he was born into :D

This was what things were like 60-70 years ago it's changed massively these days

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

flash gunner wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:Regarding children's induction into belief systems......I offer you this gem from Dave Allen talking about his childhood and the particular religion he was born into :D

This was what things were like 60-70 years ago it's changed massively these days
I'm sure you're right flashy. I put the link on for a bit of fun. Dave Allen is one of my comedy heroes. Many of our younger forum peeps may not have seen his stuff.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

olgitgooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

I'm sure you're right flashy. I put the link on for a bit of fun. Dave Allen is one of my comedy heroes. Many of our younger forum peeps may not have seen his stuff.
Dave Allen was class. 8)

Years ahead of his time too. One of the few comedians from that time whose stuff is still funny today. :lol: :barscarf: 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

Dave Allen was class. 8)

Years ahead of his time too. One of the few comedians from that time whose stuff is still funny today. :lol: :barscarf: 8)
Agreed

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Word from the Vatican is God voted Trump. :barscarf: :lol:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:Word from the Vatican is God voted Trump. :barscarf: :lol:

God loves a violent, egomaniacal, racist, mysogynist, bully.

Reminds him of himself in his younger days.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Word from the Vatican is God voted Trump. :barscarf: :lol:

God loves a violent, egomaniacal, racist, mysogynist, bully.

Reminds him of himself in his younger days.
Latest news is Allah voted Clinton. :shock:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

When it comes to superstitions and strange experiences, there is usually a rational explanation :)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just gonna leave this here to fuck with AtheistJoe's head!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6de ... ical_proof

:D :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:Just gonna leave this here to fuck with AtheistJoe's head!

There's been a number of attempts at these ontological proofs over the years, but, in philosophical jargon, they're bollocks.

They do create some problems for atheists because the lines of reasoning are difficult to get your head round, but they basically rely on accepting all of his 'take these statements as true' axioms, e.g.multiple/infinite universes in which all possible things exist. There's no justification offered for believing the first part and the second part isn't logical. An infinite universe could exist but there could still be possible things that don't exist in it.

Additionally, the idea is that we can conceive of a God who is completely positive and that real things are better than conceived things so God must exist.

The theorem is valid IF you accept the hypotheses, but that's a pretty big ask. Most people would doubt the statement that because we can conceive of things they must exist.

Using his argument you could argue that we can conceive of women more beautiful than any woman ever seen, who is purely positive, so she must exist and be better than we can conceive. However, you'll probably still wake up with the missus tomorrow morning, not your perceived goddess.

If you can't afford drugs, read through some arguments for and against his 'theorum'. Your mind will end up well and truly scrambled.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Just gonna leave this here to fuck with AtheistJoe's head!

There's been a number of attempts at these ontological proofs over the years, but, in philosophical jargon, they're bollocks.

They do create some problems for atheists because the lines of reasoning are difficult to get your head round, but they basically rely on accepting all of his 'take these statements as true' axioms, e.g.multiple/infinite universes in which all possible things exist. There's no justification offered for believing the first part and the second part isn't logical. An infinite universe could exist but there could still be possible things that don't exist in it.

Additionally, the idea is that we can conceive of a God who is completely positive and that real things are better than conceived things so God must exist.

The theorem is valid IF you accept the hypotheses, but that's a pretty big ask. Most people would doubt the statement that because we can conceive of things they must exist.

Using his argument you could argue that we can conceive of women more beautiful than any woman ever seen, who is purely positive, so she must exist and be better than we can conceive. However, you'll probably still wake up with the missus tomorrow morning, not your perceived goddess.

If you can't afford drugs, read through some arguments for and against his 'theorum'. Your mind will end up well and truly scrambled.
If this beautiful woman, who is more beautiful than any woman ever seen exists, I would be happy to conceive with her. :barscarf:
Hey, If you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world, tell her, I love her.