THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

Juventus manager Max Allegri wants to take over at Arsenal if current boss Arsene Wenger retires in the summer. (The Sun)

:blah: . :blah: . :blah: . :yawn:

Everyone knows the new contract has already been agreed, the club are simply waiting for us to have a run of 3 or 4 wins against the lower table teams of course and then they'll announce it.

:cry:

:suicide:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:Juventus manager Max Allegri wants to take over at Arsenal if current boss Arsene Wenger retires in the summer. (The Sun)

:blah: . :blah: . :blah: . :yawn:

Everyone knows the new contract has already been agreed, the club are simply waiting for us to have a run of 3 or 4 wins against the lower table teams of course and then they'll announce it.

:cry:

:suicide:
What better time to announce it than at the end of January when we've swatted all the shit and when the transfer window closes, ready for the CL exit, FA Cup exit and league collapse in February, coupled with the customary 10 injuries

Bunting14

Post by Bunting14 »

I think they may have difficulty in finding the right time to announce it this year. I don't know why they didn't do it at the end of November when we were on a goodish run of form.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bunting14 wrote:I think they may have difficulty in finding the right time to announce it this year. I don't know why they didn't do it at the end of November when we were on a goodish run of form.
It is the fact that they are/might be announcing it that I have the problem with.
12 years since we last won the title and most people still thing Wenger is the best person to lead us.

Clash

Post by Clash »

NickF wrote:
Bunting14 wrote:I think they may have difficulty in finding the right time to announce it this year. I don't know why they didn't do it at the end of November when we were on a goodish run of form.
It is the fact that they are/might be announcing it that I have the problem with.
12 years since we last won the title and most people still thing Wenger is the best person to lead us.
Agreed.

It's not just 12 years since we won the title ... it's 12 years since we even put in a serious title challenge.

I cant find it online anywhere but I remember last season Sky Sports produced a graphic showing the number of days Arsenal had been top since 2004 and in what months we had held first position. Unsurprisingly there were a good number of days we were top during the October to February period ... but exactly 0 days spent at the top during April and May :roll:

The dirty Leeds teams between 1965 and 1975 only won two titles but they finished runners up 5 times ... and 2 or 3 of those times I think they only lost out on goal difference. That is challenging for the title.

Other than Wenger's 3 titles ... 1999 and 2003 are the only serious title challenges we've put in under him.

5 title challenges in 20 years. I think that's shocking for someone with Wenger's reputation!

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

I honestly think we were an incoorect penalty decision at st andrews away from winning it in 2008. we would have won the game 2-1 and there would be just enough petrol in the tank in terms of momentum to carry us on IMO

looking back, we finished 3rd with 83 points, that tally would be high enough for 1st let along 2nd most years, those extra 2 points wouldn't have actually given us the title but thinking about how different things would have been, gallas wouldn't have the tantrum and there would have been headlines of "Arsenal's Steely Resolve". Think about it too much and it makes you sick actually- we really were quite close that year.

That was our best season since leaving Highbury, embrassing ain't it :?

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:I honestly think we were an incoorect penalty decision at st andrews away from winning it in 2008. we would have won the game 2-1 and there would be just enough petrol in the tank in terms of momentum to carry us on IMO

looking back, we finished 3rd with 83 points, that tally would be high enough for 1st let along 2nd most years, those extra 2 points wouldn't have actually given us the title but thinking about how different things would have been, gallas wouldn't have the tantrum and there would have been headlines of "Arsenal's Steely Resolve". Think about it too much and it makes you sick actually- we really were quite close that year.

Blame Clichy and his brain fart at St.Andrews. The kind of hideous error right in line with a modern Wenger team.

We were close but I think it went some way to showing how much leadership Wenger displayed. The games following that Birmingham game were a series of struggles and late equalisers to salvage draws. We couldn't gee ourselves up even though we were still top of the league and only relinquished that when we lost at surprise surprise, Stamford Bridge.

Then Wenger never strengthened the team adequately that summer and we all know the rest.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

can't really blame clichy when he got the ball, unfortunately the ref couldn't wait to give the pen.

Midz

Post by Midz »

NickF wrote: It is the fact that they are/might be announcing it that I have the problem with.
+1

holloway_gooner

Post by holloway_gooner »

Even if we'd hung on against relationship fodder, Birmingham, we still had Eduardo knocked out of our season earlier in the game, breaking up what had been a great partnership with Ade-Barn-Door up to that point. Doubt that we would have been able to hang on, given the fragile confidence of us then, and since

NickF

Post by NickF »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:I honestly think we were an incoorect penalty decision at st andrews away from winning it in 2008. we would have won the game 2-1 and there would be just enough petrol in the tank in terms of momentum to carry us on IMO

Maybe cliched, but you don't generally win/lose the league on just one game or one decision.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Its a sad state of affairs, when we know the club are trying to time the announcement to limit the fall out from the fans.

I dont think I could do two more years of Wenger.

Everyone has their limit, some people tolerance expired years ago. Me - I simply tolerated him. But no more, as its exasperating and energy sapping.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

NickF wrote:

Maybe cliched, but you don't generally win/lose the league on just one game or one decision.
Generally not but a case can be made for Henry's arguement. Who knows, we might have imploded anyway (and there's plenty of evidence since to suggest that) but in turn, we might just have had enough.

Our only title challenge since leaving Highbury.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Wenger talking about City and Everton defeats, says he felt desperate after, as usual all about him, the one getting 9MILLION a year to sort it out...what about the travelling fans FFS??

"We lost under very special circumstances as well, you know. It's the first time in 20 years that I lose a game with two offside goals of that stature. On top of that we were 1-0 up in both games, we had the chances to score the second goal and third goal.

Against City second half did not have one attempt on goal...fuck knows how he analyses games...what a wanker

Comments above are totally ridiculous from anyone watching the games....they were a shambles, panic ridden all over the fucking place, absolutely disgraceful performances.

Same issues year after year, and the wanker is still here haunting our club

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

The start of another year looms with TOF,I imagine this is what a long term jail sentence feels like, hopeless and with regular buttholings