THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Manage somewhere else next season? Go on, you old *word censored*. Name one decent club who would want you to manage them. Just piss off you, narcissistic old prick. Someone pull the plug on all this utter shit.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

postmanPat91 wrote:Seeing the dejection and misery in someone who once-upon-a-time brought us so much joy actually has me feeling a bit sorry for the bastard :shock: :oops:

Why he didn't pack his bags after ending the trophy drought and go out on some sort of high is beyond me :?
I don't feel sorry for him at all he has earned over 100m in his career with us and may yet still earn more.I feel sorry for the paying fans that had to suffer on Tuesday and many other similar nights a team roll over and quit,leaderless.Name me one other big team that regularly gets spanked a couple of times a season,no one on here can because they don't.

The man lost track and became more like an economist than a football manager.The stadium move has done nothing but add to the owners wealth previous and current.The balance sheet more important than the team sheet.

The glaring reality that football tactically and technically has moved on and he has been left behind.Ferguson had longevity and success by forever looking to get good new coaching in and never resting on his laurels it's what serial winners do,they look forward and keep ahead of the opposition.

For such an intelligent man he has always had one major flaw the arrogance that we will play the same way with no tactical plan for the opposition,we are a team the top sides love to draw in Europe,easy to play against,predictable and stale all down to one man.

The man has had 20 years in the CL one final,two semi finals,we have the second or third highest turnover in England behind Utd so we should be making the champions league yearly....bare minimum.

We are the biggest club in Europe historically not to win the European Cup no other comes close and we are going nowhere under this regime.The resources are more than adequate to compete with Europe's elite a competition he gets found out in year in year out because he hasn't been an elite coach for years.

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Manage somewhere else next season? Go on, you old *word censored*. Name one decent club who would want you to manage them. Just piss off you, narcissistic old prick. Someone pull the plug on all this utter shit.
Could walk into most jobs in Europe, the English FA wanted him more than anyone else in recent times it seems

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

blair207 wrote:I've said it before. In my view the key to getting rid of him is being overtaken by Spurs. This is something that never happens. Spurs are as likely to win the league as us, so that leaves CL qualification as an acid test. Wenger has clung on for years now on the back of finishing above Spurs and CL qualification. If we fail to qualify and they do it will be a major blow to the reasons for him staying. Everyone knows the Europa League is nothing. The be careful what you wish for scenario has arrived when the CL is not reached. If Spurs finish above us and take that CL slot it gives the board and owner a decision, to make. Why? Because no matter how it's spun it will seriously affect the bottom line.
Every groundhog season we endure in a football sense is a highly profitable season for the club and that's what they care about. As soon as we don't qualify the income is affected and the false sense of everything in the garden is rosy is challenged.
No CL football might make it harder to get a manager but it would mean he would start his tenure with a clear focus, build a team to guarantee qualification next year.
Given the closeness of the race for top four this year that would mean building a team capable of a real title challenge.
Y'know, to be honest I don't think even the horror of the scum overtaking us would make that much difference... :shock:

Hear me out. :lol: :wink:

Ask yourself who would get upset by that? The owner or Board? Not a chance. They couldn't care less about our traditions or heritage and history. For them Arsenal started in 1996 with Wenger. The scum are just another team like citeh, manure, stoke, or boro...

The fans? Maybe 10 years ago, but now? With the JCL fanboys we have populating the Conglomerates Bowl nowadays? They don't get it. They don't look on the scum as our rivals. I've even read it on here ffs, from people that should know better - the whole "spurs aren't our rivals" and "I don't care about the scum" and "singing anti-spurs songs is embarrassing" etc. :roll:

And the old skool Gooners who know what the NLD means are staying away in droves either because of cost or the sterile deathly dull "matchday experience" that the club pedals with Nazi stewards and iPad dickwads arriving late and leaving early and buying snacks like its the fucking Superbowl they are at. :roll:

The loss of the CL spot might worry the Board but they'd just give him another year or two to sort it out... :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rjw1985 wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:Manage somewhere else next season? Go on, you old *word censored*. Name one decent club who would want you to manage them. Just piss off you, narcissistic old prick. Someone pull the plug on all this utter shit.
Could walk into most jobs in Europe, the English FA wanted him more than anyone else in recent times it seems
Maybe 5 years ago... deffo 10 years ago... but now? I doubt very much that he could "walk into most jobs in Europe".

And tbh I would not trust the English FA to organise a piss up in a brewery with free vouchers. These are the absolute idiots that appointed Fat Sam and then looked surprised when that hilarious decision blew up in their faces. :oops: :lol:

dano

Post by dano »

Stan's view
Nuggets 72% attendance, worse in NBA
Avs 83% attendance, 25th of 30 teams
Rams 79% attendance, worse in American football
Arsenal 99% attendance

his highest ranking team in terms of people (tourists) to his team, Wenger makes him money, why should he off-load the guy as he is making Stan the big bucks. If you read the US press, a lot of complaints about caring for the $$$ and not the team nor history, so if WEXIT happens, and it must, will be on Wenger's schedule I think.

god, I miss the old days of excitement, knowing the team would play their hearts out, and would put an honest day's effort

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

rjw1985 wrote:
Not on over £8m p/a he couldn't. :lol:

City? No chance.
Chelsea? They like to win things now.
Utd? Please.

And any top club in Europe that could afford his astronomical salary would also be smart enough to walk the fuck away should he come crawling. He is spent; a has-been.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

The lazy tabloid hacks link his name with several jobs but no decent club would take him off us in reality. The FA? They took one look at him and went for the junior teams manager in Southgate ffs :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
Not on over £8m p/a he couldn't. :lol:

City? No chance.
Chelsea? They like to win things now.
Utd? Please.

And any top club in Europe that could afford his astronomical salary would also be smart enough to walk the fuck away should he come crawling. He is spent; a has-been.
And the point that these AKBs seem to always miss when they say things like "he could walk into any top job in Europe" is that even if a top Euro club was mad enough to give him a go, they would fuck him back out pronto if he hadn't won them either a league title or CL within 2 seasons. And at some of them, within ONE season! :lol:

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

Topside Northbank wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:Seeing the dejection and misery in someone who once-upon-a-time brought us so much joy actually has me feeling a bit sorry for the bastard :shock: :oops:

Why he didn't pack his bags after ending the trophy drought and go out on some sort of high is beyond me :?
I don't feel sorry for him at all he has earned over 100m in his career with us and may yet still earn more.I feel sorry for the paying fans that had to suffer on Tuesday and many other similar nights a team roll over and quit,leaderless.Name me one other big team that regularly gets spanked a couple of times a season,no one on here can because they don't.

The man lost track and became more like an economist than a football manager.The stadium move has done nothing but add to the owners wealth previous and current.The balance sheet more important than the team sheet.

The glaring reality that football tactically and technically has moved on and he has been left behind.Ferguson had longevity and success by forever looking to get good new coaching in and never resting on his laurels it's what serial winners do,they look forward and keep ahead of the opposition.

For such an intelligent man he has always had one major flaw the arrogance that we will play the same way with no tactical plan for the opposition,we are a team the top sides love to draw in Europe,easy to play against,predictable and stale all down to one man.

The man has had 20 years in the CL one final,two semi finals,we have the second or third highest turnover in England behind Utd so we should be making the champions league yearly....bare minimum.

We are the biggest club in Europe historically not to win the European Cup no other comes close and we are going nowhere under this regime.The resources are more than adequate to compete with Europe's elite a competition he gets found out in year in year out because he hasn't been an elite coach for years.
All true, and these are the sad parts

I think it's always been delusion and belief against all common sense, rather than arrogance - I think he's always wanted the best for Arsenal, not just his own ego, he's just gone about it badly (project youth, being too loyal to his players etc). He's wanted us to win in what he perceives to be the 'right' way (minimum outlay, nurturing youth, attractive football etc etc) - he probably looked at it as some 'moral crusade' against the big money clubs and outright c_nts like Mourinho. Unfortunately he's failed horrendously.

He's lost his way as he's failed year after year, and has made a rod for his own back with the hypocrisy of taking 8.5mil a year, defending the high-ticket prices, and the absolute lowest point for me - blaming the fans for defeats. I also blame the piss-weak, spineless 'fan base' we have these days for allowing him to dilute their expectations and accepting mediocrity for so long.

I've wanted him out since about 2008, but with his dignity intact. He starts every season with self-imposed handicaps, and insists on carrying on in his way despite everything turning to shit around him - I guess that's why we call him the 'self-harmer' :barscarf: :cry:
rjw1985 wrote:Could walk into most jobs in Europe, the English FA wanted him more than anyone else in recent times it seems
He wouldn't get a managerial position at Pizza Hut with his track record over the last 13 years... the English FA wanting him says it all :lol:
Last edited by postmanPat91 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Clash

Post by Clash »

rjw1985 wrote:
As others have said, maybe a few years ago Wenger could have walked into most jobs but I doubt that's the case now. And anyway walking in is one thing ... being kept in the job is entirely different. No way would most big clubs persevere with him once they realised what a fraud he is now.

As for the FA's interest ... its hardly a glowing endorsement when they've appointed the likes of McLaren, Hodgson, Alladyce and Southgate in the last 15 years or so.

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

Clash wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
As others have said, maybe a few years ago Wenger could have walked into most jobs but I doubt that's the case now. And anyway walking in is one thing ... being kept in the job is entirely different. No way would most big clubs persevere with him once they realised what a fraud he is now.

As for the FA's interest ... its hardly a glowing endorsement when they've appointed the likes of McLaren, Hodgson, Alladyce and Southgate in the last 15 years or so.
This exactly... the bar isn't exactly sky-high at England ffs :lol:

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
Maybe 5 years ago... deffo 10 years ago... but now? I doubt very much that he could "walk into most jobs in Europe".

And tbh I would not trust the English FA to organise a piss up in a brewery with free vouchers. These are the absolute idiots that appointed Fat Sam and then looked surprised when that hilarious decision blew up in their faces. :oops: :lol:
I wouldn't either but its clear the demand is there for his services.

The grass is always greener boys and girls.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Be careful what you wish for :barscarf:

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:The lazy tabloid hacks link his name with several jobs but no decent club would take him off us in reality. The FA? They took one look at him and went for the junior teams manager in Southgate ffs :lol:
Pretty sure he turned them down, not the other way.

Guaranteed a high profile job offer when he goes 100%.