Wenger Out protest thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Sabeel

Re: Wenger Out protest - Sunday 2nd April 14:30 Man City (H)

Post by Sabeel »

Both bsm and ast have come out with statements against the manager. They need to join the protests to force him out or he shamelessly sign that new contract

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Better late than never from the BSM. And actually a strongly worded statement.

Which makes you wonder why they've waited until now. I know that they are by no means an anti-Wenger group by nature but if they have had all these concerns throughout this contract (at least) they done a very good job biting their tongue on what has clearly been the largest issue for both the club and the fans for years.

I find the reference to "unless he wins either of the two biggest trophies" strange given that we are out of the CL and even in 300 billion alternative universes there is no chance of us getting anywhere near the title at this point. Begs the question whether this statement has been drafted and gathering dust for some time?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Also they should be backing th protests if the club aren't listening (they aren't).

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:Better late than never from the BSM. And actually a strongly worded statement.

Which makes you wonder why they've waited until now. I know that they are by no means an anti-Wenger group by nature but if they have had all these concerns throughout this contract (at least) they done a very good job biting their tongue on what has clearly been the largest issue for both the club and the fans for years.

I find the reference to "unless he wins either of the two biggest trophies" strange given that we are out of the CL and even in 300 billion alternative universes there is no chance of us getting anywhere near the title at this point. Begs the question whether this statement has been drafted and gathering dust for some time?
Maybe they were hoping, like many, that the club / Arsene at the end of this contract would part company on an amicable ( mutual ) basis.
Now it increasingly looks like he won't go of his own volition, they with reluctance make the statement.

Welcome.to.the party BSM, all the good beer has gone, there are a couple of cans of cheap cider left over, help yourself.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

StuartL wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Better late than never from the BSM. And actually a strongly worded statement.

Maybe they were hoping, like many, that the club / Arsene at the end of this contract would part company on an amicable ( mutual ) basis.
Now it increasingly looks like he won't go of his own volition, they with reluctance make the statement.

Welcome.to.the party BSM, all the good beer has gone, there are a couple of cans of cheap cider left over, help yourself.
I think there is some truth in that.
I was looking at Tim Payton's tweets (AST) and he seems to have been pretty clear that Wenger was leaving at the end of the season.
Strikes me as a fairly naive view though.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

NickF wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:I've had a crack at a first draft of a leaflet, if anyone is interested in looking at it, improving on it and/or taking it forward re design and production pm me. The reverse would be "Wenger Out" (white lettering on red) which we'll encourage people to hold up in unison.....
Red card for le bulbeye 8) held aloft in the 13th minute for 13yrs without a title challenge 8)
Whilst that maybe a great idea, it didn't work for the "time for change" as anyone who didn't like it shouted TO1AW whether they believed it or not.
I would seriously reconsider this. If you going to hold Anti-Wenger stuff up do it at the end of the game or at the point where there is no chance of winning.

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more with this analysis.

Firstly, the "Time for change" protest was too vague - it should have focused squarely on Wenger, and Wenger alone.

Secondly, the mood has shifted dramatically against Wenger since last April. While some of the sheep inside the stadium may still not be arsed enough to actually join in a protest, far fewer of them now see anything worth defending about its object.

Thirdly, and most crucially, we need to take the gamble. The clock is ticking, and if nothing much happens inside the Arsenal stadium (they are less concerned about the away support who generate marginal income for the club) that will be taken as assent for the one-year compromise deal. The Man City game may be the last chance we have to show the club just how many people who buy (or loan out) season tickets want change before the die is cast. Doing nothing or worrying about when we do it for fear of an AKB response - real or imagined - is not an option to us, frankly.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 am, edited 8 times in total.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
StuartL wrote:

I think there is some truth in that.
I was looking at Tim Payton's tweets (AST) and he seems to have been pretty clear that Wenger was leaving at the end of the season.
Strikes me as a fairly naive view though

Exactly - it seems that so many people were convinced that he would walk away of his own accord at the end of this season, and now they are stuck in limbo land, Personally I cant understand what made them believe that he would walk away - at no stage did he suggest that he was gonna walk away, and you could even argue that he consistently made an argument backing up his ability to continue in the job.
The question I would ask all those fans that believed he would walk away, is "what are you gonna do now ?" :rubchin: Wenker and the club have more or less told you outright that he and the club want him to stay, so to get rid of him we/you are gonna have to push him out the door - that might seem unpalatable to some of you, but if you believe that his time should be up now, then like it or not you are gonna have to do your bit to let him know that

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
NickF wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:I've had a crack at a first draft of a leaflet, if anyone is interested in looking at it, improving on it and/or taking it forward re design and production pm me. The reverse would be "Wenger Out" (white lettering on red) which we'll encourage people to hold up in unison.....
Red card for le bulbeye 8) held aloft in the 13th minute for 13yrs without a title challenge 8)
Whilst that maybe a great idea, it didn't work for the "time for change" as anyone who didn't like it shouted TO1AW whether they believed it or not.
I would seriously reconsider this. If you going to hold Anti-Wenger stuff up do it at the end of the game or at the point where there is no chance of winning.

Firstly, the "Time for change" protest was too vague - it should have focused squarely on Wenger, and Wenger alone.

Secondly, the mood has shifted dramatically against Wenger since last April. While some of the sheep inside the stadium may still not be arsed enough to actually join in a protest, far fewer of them now see anything worth defending about its object.

Thirdly, and most crucially, we need to take the gamble. The clock is ticking, and if nothing much happens inside the Arsenal stadium (they are less concerned about the away support who generate marginal income for the club) that will be taken as assent for the one-year compromise deal. The Man City game may be the last chance we have to show the club just how many people who buy (or loan out) season tickets want change before the die is cast. Doing nothing or worrying about when we do it for fear of an AKB response - real or imagined - is not an option to us, frankly.
Something is going to happen...the protests will continue at EVERY game!!

Tollgoon

Post by Tollgoon »

http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2017 ... an-gooner/

Check out the 2nd comment, mildly irritating, as it's the Stadium protests that have forced this issue onto the media back pages/ created the online presence. Any amount of well written articles will not get Wonga out, but the protest will sting him, despite his claims that he take no notice. it's amazing how so many other blogs are claiming that it's now time to go, thankfully I discovered OG back in 2008 as I think I would have questioned my sanity, this website has been on it since the beginning probably since 2006, and certainly since 2008 when I defected from happy clappy Steve Gleiber Arsenal forum. Keep up the protests ( I have to swerve a family outing to get down to Man City game - still negotiating), it is definitely having an impact.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Tollgoon wrote:http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2017 ... an-gooner/

Check out the 2nd comment, mildly irritating, as it's the Stadium protests that have forced this issue onto the media back pages/ created the online presence. Any amount of well written articles will not get Wonga out, but the protest will sting him, despite his claims that he take no notice. it's amazing how so many other blogs are claiming that it's now time to go, thankfully I discovered OG back in 2008 as I think I would have questioned my sanity, this website has been on it since the beginning probably since 2006, and certainly since 2008 when I defected from happy clappy Steve Gleiber Arsenal forum. Keep up the protests ( I have to swerve a family outing to get down to Man City game - still negotiating), it is definitely having an impact.
I concur, though both otherwise are pretty spot on. Theres a lot like him, the Pravda spin has had to move from in Arsene we trust to be careful what you wish for and now to "Its not the Arsenal way". Almost every single fan I have spoken to that isnt protesting as such feels he needs to go, combatting the its not the Arsenal way shows how much the agenda has been moved. Are there any pictures of the anti Neil marches anywhere I wonder- tweeting them may be useful :wink:

Keep it up lads :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

General

Post by General »

Tollgoon wrote:http://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/2017 ... an-gooner/

Check out the 2nd comment, mildly irritating, as it's the Stadium protests that have forced this issue onto the media back pages/ created the online presence. Any amount of well written articles will not get Wonga out, but the protest will sting him, despite his claims that he take no notice. it's amazing how so many other blogs are claiming that it's now time to go, thankfully I discovered OG back in 2008 as I think I would have questioned my sanity, this website has been on it since the beginning probably since 2006, and certainly since 2008 when I defected from happy clappy Steve Gleiber Arsenal forum. Keep up the protests ( I have to swerve a family outing to get down to Man City game - still negotiating), it is definitely having an impact.[/quote

This?
I say this because it is increasingly obvious that whilst the “Arsene Knows Best” faction decry the uncouth use of banners, placards and latterly, even planes to abuse Wenger; they are not taking account of the articulate and reasoned fans who take to social media to set out what are perfectly legitimate grievances.
Uncouth use of banners? Sadly this is what we're up against in terms of growing the protest and the perception that we are are bunch of radicals. A lot of them thought Le fraud would walk away on his own volition and the realisation is slowly hitting home that this is far from the case.

neasdengooner

Post by neasdengooner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
NickF wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:

Spot on

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Does anybody on here know a drone operator or better still, somebody who actually has a drone?? It needs to be big enough to attach a banner and we also need to know the legalities of flying one of these things??

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
NickF wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:

If it goes wrong then we will have lost all momentum. The banners before and at the end have been getting HUGE publicity - there has not been an article about the Arsenal where they haven't been shown.

markymark

Post by markymark »

One thought I've had is let's claim a shirt for the anti Wenger movement. I think for a lot of us the yellow shirt is iconic with Frank Mcluntock holding up the cup. It really is a true spirit of Arsenal. For slightly younger supporters it can still have meaning from 79'. I also think it's retort to soggy old Chips and the gravy train board who claim they are custodians of the club.
Perhaps we can start crowdfunding a yellow Arsenal shirt to be worn at marches or simply to the march. I'd guess buy in large sizes so they can fit over layers.