THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by rodders999 »

When are ST renewals due, or are they out already?

Looks like red/silver membership can be renewed at the moment but surely people can't be asked to renew their ST's without being told who the manager is going to be next August, or at the very least who it isn't going to be!!?

There will have to be clarity before people are asked to part with £1000+

NickF

Post by NickF »

rodders999 wrote:When are ST renewals due, or are they out already?

Looks like red/silver membership can be renewed at the moment but surely people can't be asked to renew their ST's without being told who the manager is going to be next August, or at the very least who it isn't going to be!!?

Last year we got them mid-May with renewal date being 1st June.
This most likely won't happen this year as the season end so late and I can't see them sending them out until after we have finished.

As you rightly say people will want to know who the manager and also can they change champs league prices for UEFA...

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

NickF wrote:

This most likely won't happen this year as the season end so late and I can't see them sending them out until after we have finished.

As you rightly say people will want to know who the manager and also can they change champs league prices for UEFA...
Cheers for that, looks like the wait continues then.

The Knowing One

Post by The Knowing One »

Apparently, he has totally dismissed working with a director of football in his press conference, this may irk certain members of the board, I wonder (hope against hope) if it annoys Stan enough for him to insist.

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

The Knowing One wrote:Apparently, he has totally dismissed working with a director of football in his press conference, this may irk certain members of the board, I wonder (hope against hope) if it annoys Stan enough for him to insist.
He's gone regardless of what happens now in my view. The end is near and as I've said before if he stays he'll be hounded out of a job within months anyway. The real reason around his anger re the director of football, is that he knows that he will be found out if one is appointed. I've known about his MO for years, knew an employee at the club who intimated that AW was difficult to challenge at best. The way he treats fourth officials is scandalous, he's not alone in this of course, but if you look at all the evidence across many behaviours he is not someone with the technical or personal skill sets required to manage in the second decade of 21st century...not a football club nor a plc.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I think it's clear (as mud) where it stands .
The offer for 2 more years has expired .
Suddenly Wenger panics and says he wants two more years !
Gazidis wants changes and wants a Tech Director - legacy preparation - and he wants the heads of Dick Law /Peyton etc .]
Wenger refuses says he will only stay if he has full control.

Talks stall !

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Herd wrote:I think it's clear (as mud) where it stands .
The offer for 2 more years has expired .
Suddenly Wenger panics and says he wants two more years !
Gazidis wants changes and wants a Tech Director - legacy preparation - and he wants the heads of Dick Law /Peyton etc .]
Wenger refuses says he will only stay if he has full control.

Talks stall !
Lets hope so. It all seems as chaotic as our defence this season

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Arsene Wenger has ridiculed the role of the director of football and ruled out any chance of such an appointment being made at Arsenal as long as he is the manager.
'No,' replied Wenger, when asked if there were any plans to introduce a director of football as part of a restructuring process at the Emirates Stadium.

'Director of football? I don't know what it means. Is it someone who stands on the road and directs play right and left? I've never understood what it means.'
On the broader issue of restructuring, the Arsenal manager said: 'Sorry, no. I am not prepared to talk. I am the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I am the manager of Arsenal Football Club I will decide what happens on technical front. That's it.'

Arrogant, dismissive, unlikeable man. Knows everything apparently, except how to win trophies. "Is it someone who stands on the road and directs play left & right" Sneering,arrogant, condescending. As opposed to him, who spends the game screaming at the 4th official because his team is playing badly.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Yeah just read the transcript of this morning's presser and have to say that having been sceptical in the past about the supposed spilt with the board, it's pretty undeniable after reading that.

Someone who stands in the road and directs players left and right? The man should be sectioned. :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

xisstential wrote:Arsene Wenger has ridiculed the role of the director of football and ruled out any chance of such an appointment being made at Arsenal as long as he is the manager.
'No,' replied Wenger, when asked if there were any plans to introduce a director of football as part of a restructuring process at the Emirates Stadium.

'Director of football? I don't know what it means. Is it someone who stands on the road and directs play right and left? I've never understood what it means.'
On the broader issue of restructuring, the Arsenal manager said: 'Sorry, no. I am not prepared to talk. I am the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I am the manager of Arsenal Football Club I will decide what happens on technical front. That's it.'

Arrogant, dismissive, unlikeable man. Knows everything apparently, except how to win trophies. "Is it someone who stands on the road and directs play left & right" Sneering,arrogant, condescending. As opposed to him, who spends the game screaming at the 4th official because his team is playing badly.

:lol: :lol: He really is a psychiatrists dream. His arrogance and God complex know no bounds. This is actually very good news (I think), because it's a clear challenge to other board members who appear to want a restructure. It's all down to Stan, of course and I'd love to see him take Fergie's approach with Paul Ince...."he thinks he's the guv'nor, I'll show him who's the guv'nor"....and give him the bullet. Unfortunately, I don't expect that.

Either way, it shows that there's clearly discord at the top level and that means that unless Wenger starts to compete for the big prizes (he won't), then he'll be ultimately fucked by his enemies. If you're gonna be as arrogant and confrontational as this, then you better be able to back it up and he can't.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

He does realise that during his most successful time at the club, David Dein, while never "officially" a DoF carried out pretty much all of the duties that role entails right?
"I never understood it"
OH PISS OFF :roll:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

NickF wrote:

I think we all know that the announcement will be that he is staying. They won't want that to be public until after they have everyone's money. What you have to do is detach yourself from the notion that they give a flying fuck what anyone thinks. Once you're in that place then you'll see the sense of it.

General

Post by General »

Some might see it as sour grapes but I think this is spot on.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39840233

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

EastupperA wrote:
The Knowing One wrote:Apparently, he has totally dismissed working with a director of football in his press conference, this may irk certain members of the board, I wonder (hope against hope) if it annoys Stan enough for him to insist.
He's gone regardless of what happens now in my view. The end is near and as I've said before if he stays he'll be hounded out of a job within months anyway. The real reason around his anger re the director of football, is that he knows that he will be found out if one is appointed. I've known about his MO for years, knew an employee at the club who intimated that AW was difficult to challenge at best. The way he treats fourth officials is scandalous, he's not alone in this of course, but if you look at all the evidence across many behaviours he is not someone with the technical or personal skill sets required to manage in the second decade of 21st century...not a football club nor a plc.
can't see it myself
if anyone goes at the end of this season then it will be Gazidis

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Please PM me and let me know when his last day is?
As I would like to donate a dump to his whip round collection....