THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
blair207

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by blair207 »

Usmanov isn't going to spend billions buying Arsenal to watch Wenger bumbling around underachieving, struggling to beat Pulis and Allardyce and getting bulldozed in the CL.
Wenger may get one more chance but it will be under real pressure, a real win big or your out scenario.
There is a chance this bid may succeed if increased. Kronke knows nothing about football, Wenger is a busted flush and we are on a slide in a footballing and financial equivalent of a piranha infested tank.
To turn it round needs vision and determination, not some old has been and a clueless board. Stan may decide it's not worth the effort if the offer is good enough.

GTG

Post by GTG »

To be honest this news has depressed me a bit..... The bid was made which shows Usmanov is serious about taking us over.... But wiggy turns it down.

I can't see Usmanov coming back with another bid which likely means he will fuck off somewhere else and we are stuck with the yank p.rick.

Not only that but it must be music to Wengers ears because it's taking the heat off him.

As rightly pointed out by armchair there are a host of managers that could operate under kronkes style of ownership and do a much better job than Wenger. That has been proven other clubs.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Even the suggestion that Usmanov may take over, or even that he's forwarded a bid is enough to create that uncertainty which could keep Wenger safe.
The old hand is needed to keep things straight during a period of uncertainty, remember?
Last edited by armchair on Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Apparently, the bid was made last month and has been revealed today. I'm wondering why the news was leaked and what implications this has for Wanker's board meeting after the cup final. It's a pressure thing but I can't work out why. Is it to press Kronkunt into action? Is it to get Wanker out? Is it to highlight how stale things are or to show just how unambitious the current set-up is?

silus

Post by silus »

If Usmanov is as ambitious, and as hungry for success as a lot of us think he is, Wenger won't last anywhere near 3 or 4 years. I reckon he'd be lucky to last a season, the first 8-2 or 5-1 and he'll be sacked...unless of course we've been wrong all this time, and he suddenly starts winning trophies under the new owner. :wink:

armchair

Post by armchair »

augie wrote: But do you not agree that wenker's future will be decided within the next 12 days, and if he stays beyond that point it will be at the behest of kroenke not usmanov ?
As I say, gazidas will win the day and wenker will be on the dole on June 1st and there will be a massive bbq at steve o's house on Saturday June 3rd :barscarf: :barscarf:

What a fucking weekend that'll be.

:party:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

armchair wrote:What a fucking weekend that'll be.

:party:
:lol:

:high5:

:cheers:

:bestmates:

NickF

Post by NickF »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
armchair wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Usmanov wouldn't bomb Wenger straight out, no way. He wouldn't have much patience with him though if he stuck around long enough to spunk away over 100m of his cash.
That's the thing though. We are on the verge right now under this board and majority shareholder of getting shot of Wenger imo.
Usmanov coming in before Wenger leaves could scupper that and could actually work towards him staying.
That's my fear
It's a difficult one, I'll admit....but on balance I'd risk being saddled with Wenger initially in the expectation that within three or four years he will be a distant memory and we'll have a much more ambitious and capable manager under Usmanov than we would have under Kronke.
Another 3-4 years of Wenger, no thanks!!!!

MrT

Post by MrT »

The c*nt is staying, but this time with a redundant DOF irritating Wenger for another 2 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... ng-fa-cup/

Jeremy Wilson is a club mouthpiece so this has legs.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not only is the club’s owner, Stan Kroenke, adamant that he will not sell his stake to Alisher Usmanov, the second largest shareholder, but his support for Wenger, albeit in a modified structure, still appears utterly solid.

I needed to read no more

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

SteveO 35 wrote:Not only is the club’s owner, Stan Kroenke, adamant that he will not sell his stake to Alisher Usmanov, the second largest shareholder, but his support for Wenger, albeit in a modified structure, still appears utterly solid.

I needed to read no more
Two more years of this *word censored* will destroy this club. What this utter *word censored* leaves behind will take years to fix.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

So gone from not knowing what a DoF is to now accepting change, even though he said if he stayed it would be his way only just a few weeks back, talk about megalomaniacal, he just cant or wont let go.....as said so many times before not only is he a liar but he is an unreliable one, he changes his tune to make himself seem correct all along and for some reason the media fails to call him on it each and everytime :roll:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

GTG wrote:To be honest this news has depressed me a bit..... The bid was made which shows Usmanov is serious about taking us over.... But wiggy turns it down.

I can't see Usmanov coming back with another bid which likely means he will fuck off somewhere else and we are stuck with the yank p.rick.

Not only that but it must be music to Wengers ears because it's taking the heat off him.

As rightly pointed out by armchair there are a host of managers that could operate under kronkes style of ownership and do a much better job than Wenger. That has been proven other clubs.
Kroenke wont hire managers of the calibre that are required, he is only interested in making a profit at the lowest possible financial risk to himself, that is reflected in our lack of success and lack of progress, we are not Man Utd who generate vast profits and can 'buy' success in spite of having the dreaded American owner, our profits are relatively small although will increase with the PL TV money (as will all clubs).

I cannot see us being successful under him, it is possible if we get the right man but I don't think Kroenke has the desire to go out and push for that at whatever cost like Usmanov might, if he has put up with Wenger for at least 3 years too long why would you expect him to suddenly go out and break the bank for Allegri or whoever?, we shouldn't even be talking about Wenger staying ffs, if our owner and board had any balls they would A. have got rid years ago or B. announced they would not be renewing his contract (if the c**t wouldn't say this himself).

Again too many people getting focused on Wenger when the bigger problem is Kroenke, Wenger out either way though..

WengerOut

WENGER NEEDS TO TAKE A LONG OZIL

Post by WengerOut »

In honour of his disappearing acts through out much of the season, the Collins English dictionary has changed the word holiday to ozil, Wenger needs to take a long ozil so Arsenal fans can enjoy their summer ozils.

During the 2016 summer ozils, months before Wenger spent £86million net (more than the £51million net of the EPL champions Chelsea) and before single ball of 2016-2017 premiership season was kicked. I confidently told everyone that come May 2017 Arsenal will finish 5th with no trophies aka win dilly squat/ sweet FA. On Sat when that proves right after Liverpool and Man City win at Middlesbrough and Watford respectively, Will that make me a genius greater than Nostradamus? Hell no. I have just seen Wenger and the nonsense same old Arsenal, replayed year after year that with confident I can tell you what the clowns are going to do before a single ball is kicked.
So this is not just a Wenger out post ( Monsieur Wengabe, Do one ..excuse my French). It is a kronke out, gutless Gazidis out, weak “fans” who have and still ‘religiously support this tyrant and dictator aka Wengabe’ out, good fans who ‘seem to have woken up a few weeks ago after the 10-2 and now are back to lets support this team since Wenger is going to stay’ out…Be under no illusion and wake up from the Wenger delusion..even if you restructure, give him £300million etc, ARSENAL WILL NEVER WIN THE LEAGUE AGAIN UNDER WENGER.

Let us look at the glaring overwhelming evidence to support this assertion. Over the last 13 years since our last title during the invincible 2003-2004 season, whilst Ferguson has rebuilt 2-3 different Man U title winning teams, Man City, Chelsea and even minnows, Leicester have won the league title, Arsenal under Wenger has won dilly squat league titles in those 13 years. Even in the last few years when all the other top four teams were doing their best to hand us the title with pundits saying Arsenal will never get an easier and better chance to win the league, we still flopped. Arsenal under Wenger is the equivalent of a player who placed dead centre in front of the goal in the six yard box, took away the goalkeeper and centre backs…making it impossible to miss would still somehow contrive a way to miss and miss badly. So 1 or 2 maybe 3 years of no titles is unlucky but year after year to a total of 12 straight years of 0 league titles is a demonstrated and proved trend of utter incompetence and failure. Financial markets will tell you that trend is your friend and that consistently underperforming stocks will continue to underperform in the long term. Couldn't have described Arsenal any better.

To those who say oh but Wenger is great? With the accent of Kelechi, “I beg, just slap yourself, and your sense dey upgrade”. 13 years of spending £100s of millions just to finish top 4 with no league titles is rubbish. Since David Devin left and since dismantling the “2003-2004 invincibles” without replacing them, the only thing Wenger has been great at has been to just manage to finish 4th in the last few weeks of the every season (credit sometimes higher but only due to other teams failing). Here is a fact: With Arsenal finishing 5th this season, Wenger is no longer great at finishing 4th any more. Wenger progression and therefore legacy has been to go from title winning to 13 years of finishing top 4 to now not finishing top 4. Even a blind man in Timbuktu would tell you that is backward progression aka recession aka decline not stagnation as the 4 teams ahead of Arsenal and those around us are all getting better. Spurs under Pochetino is evidence of forward progression in going from 5th to 3rd to 2nd, from not winning to winning the local derby convincingly and in having the better youth players and current team.

Oh but you forgot Wenger great legacy for Arsenal…like Troopz would say “hamroll”! This “Wenger leaving a great legacy” idea is a delusion the media continues to perpetuate but let us look at the facts and measure his legacy on 3 crucial areas. Firstly, the present aka the current squad, how many of this current squad are world class and would make it into the top EPL teams let alone Barcelona or Real Madrid team? Err err maybe and only just maybe Sanchez. Secondly, the Scouting system. At the start of his tenure, we had a scouting system that gave rise to anelka, Viera, Bergkamp (Was and still is pure class at 48), Henry, Kanu, heck all the invincibles and Fabregas, RVP etc. Class, quality top draw trekkers players all over the gaffe. Over the last 13 years and today, with the exception of Sanchez and Cech, our scouting system having spent £100s of millions has produced a bunch of overpriced stale hamrolls!! Just google the team of World class players Wenger had the chance to sign but didn't….the sheer ineptitude to not sign those players would make a grown man cry. Thirdly,Youth aka the Future. At the time of the invincibles, Arsenal youth team/ younger generation were lauded as the best. Fabregas, Gibbs, RVP, Walcott, Nasri just to name a few. Today, name me one Arsenal youth team player of note? Err err..Hamrolls!:-) So from the beginning of his tenure with excellent present squad aka the invincibles, great scope of improvement/good scouting system and a great future with the best young player then. To now Wenger’s actually legacy is a shit present with nonsense hamrolls current squad, no hope of improving the present/shit scouting system and no future. That my friends, is a legacy of utter incompetence worth ridiculing and clowning not a great legacy worth praising or being grateful for.

Don't think I forgot his other many failings aka further evidence of a crap legacy. I am feeling a tad sorry for him(ha ha) by not mentioning the same Arsenal problem that is printed yearly in every newspaper (lack of leaderships, fight, good defensive midfielder, 30+ goals striker etc), the repeated nonsense performances, his lack of decision making during games until the 71st min, his stubbornness of sticking with the same strategy whilst the modern game has moved on, offering £40million+£1 for Suarez then paying £42.5million for chief hamroll Ozil, his excuse about not having enough money to compete with big clubs yet poor Leicester won the League and went further in the champions league, that moving to Emirates was supposed to help us compete with the likes of Bayern Munich who recently spanked us 10-2, that we spent more this season to end up lower than last season aka gone backwards…I could go on and on destroying the delusion of Wenger being a great manager or having a great legacy but I have more than made my point based on the present, scouting and future criteria above.

Oh, be careful what you wish for…look at Man U….again, hamroll! Even DT could manage the club..hold tight, G!:-) Change is a quintessential part of growth hence life. Chelsea fired a title winning manager and guess what they just won the title again yet Wenger after winning no titles for 13 years…you are afraid to change? Nonsense! Along with Ozil, Walcott, Ramsey, Giroud and the rest of the clowns, I would gladly pay to drop Ozil off at PSG and Wenger off at whatever Chinese club that wants him, heck they might pay Arsenal handsomely to replace him.

Had Wenger been in charge of any other club or worked for any other firm he would have been fired a decade ago. His dictatorship that is crippling Arsenal football club has been maintained by the support of many “traitorous” Arsenal fans (like TY & Chris) vocally and those who keep quiet hence acquiesce to the past 13 years of utter nonsense and decline. Giving Wenger more money to spend as the past has shown is largely the same as giving a blonde bimbo lots of money, you’ll end up with a lot of expensive useless things. They say 2 things are certain in life, death and taxes. Like the last 13 years, you can now also add Wenger being senile, clueless and Arsenal not winning the EPL titles under Wenger.

The saddest thing and also the most annoying thing is that this dictator will stay another 2 years or longer til he dies. He will never willingly give up his tight hold over the reins of the club or his psychotic belief that the club won't be better without him. So when he does stay, rather than fans accepting defeat and continued mediocrity of Arsenal’s demise and Europa league football (we won't get close to winning or win that either), we, the true Arsenal fans should no longer accept or tolerate it. Forget the Robbie(@ArsenalfanTV) “stick your head in the sand” defeatist approach of “come August, with Wenger staying, let us all get behind the Dictator and the clowns(not a team are they?), with raised expectations of winning the title next year then come March 2018 reduce it to winning the FA Cup then last few weeks of the season, lets at least finish 4th and celebrate it like we won something” cycle. Nah, just do one! Arsenal fans should refuse to accept this nonsense of the past 13 years, should demand change from the board and if they won't listen at first, make it unbearable for Wenger to stay by protesting and critically boycotting game after game in large numbers. For 13 seasons, you have tried the Robbie “get behind the team” and it has got you no where and 13 years of no titles, disappoint, wasted money etc so you got nothing to lose protesting and boycotting game after game until the board relents.i guarantee you it won't take another 13 years of no trophies, more likely half a season – a season max depending on how stubborn the board is then Arsenal will be back to winning titles and trophies within 6-7 years maybe earlier not spend the next 13 years under Wenger in a state of perpetual decline.

If fans are the lifeblood of a club, then fans must be able to influence the board to make critical strategic and managerial decisions for the benefit of the club. For Arsenal football club and the legacy of past greats and the invincibles to survive, wholesale changes are needed across every part of the club. Those changes must begin with #WENGEROUT #KronkeOut #GazidisOut #WalcottRk,amseyGiroudOUT #ALL”HAMROLLS”OUT

Copyright..all rights reserved

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

sk-gtfo wrote:
GTG wrote:To be honest this news has depressed me a bit..... The bid was made which shows Usmanov is serious about taking us over.... But wiggy turns it down.

Kroenke wont hire managers of the calibre that are required, he is only interested in making a profit at the lowest possible financial risk to himself, that is reflected in our lack of success and lack of progress, we are not Man Utd who generate vast profits and can 'buy' success in spite of having the dreaded American owner, our profits are relatively small although will increase with the PL TV money (as will all clubs).

I cannot see us being successful under him, it is possible if we get the right man but I don't think Kroenke has the desire to go out and push for that at whatever cost like Usmanov might, if he has put up with Wenger for at least 3 years too long why would you expect him to suddenly go out and break the bank for Allegri or whoever?, we shouldn't even be talking about Wenger staying ffs, if our owner and board had any balls they would A. have got rid years ago or B. announced they would not be renewing his contract (if the c**t wouldn't say this himself).

Again too many people getting focused on Wenger when the bigger problem is Kroenke, Wenger out either way though..
This again..Kroenke & Wenger...if you had put Poch or Conte in charge of the very same squad we have at the moment we would have challenged for the title. If you had put Wenger in charge of Spurs this season they would have finished in 8th or 10th with Kane playing as a holding midfielder.

And people talk as if Kroenke pays Wenger an absolute pittance, that he would not get us a "manager of the calibre required". You will get a lot of top class managers who would come to London for 9m, I guarantee you that.

Kroenke does not love football, he does not love Arsenal, he is not a trophy hunter or ambitious in a sporting sense BUT he is NOT holding Wenger back. The failures on the pitch are entirely Wengers fault. Wenger makes the club money, therefore Kroenke doesn't sack him and that is Kroenke's real crime in this seemingly never ending saga.