THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am
Back to the team for a change from me. It's ironic I've just realised he has gone full circle. When he took over the team Graham had left a brilliant defence and we had Bergkamp and Wright.
What Wenger did brilliantly was bring in some of the best midfielders we have seen. Vieira and Petit. Add a sprinkle of Overmars and the young Anelka we were Champions.
Now we have a bad midfield like we did towards the end of Graham's time. Difference is we don't have a brilliant defence.
...or top strikers like Bergkamp and Wrighty. :(

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

After Wenger saying that fans need to get behind the team, I'm waiting for the fence sitters to say "If your protesting, your against the team".

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BFG4 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:56 am
After Wenger saying that fans need to get behind the team, I'm waiting for the fence sitters to say "If your protesting, your against the team".
Only a matter of time....

Helge

Post by Helge »

i´m to far away to have a clear opinion...but i think the mood at arsenal is bad, mostly on Wenger...outside of england wenger is mostly known as legend for being this long time in a club, but this legend status seems to be broke...he´d should have leave for a longer time and go as a legend... know he won´t get the fame, he´d normaly deserve for that great work at arsenal

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I have said this before and the more I think about this man, the more I think this is accurate. I think Wenger got lucky, I don't think he was ever a "great" manager. Arsenal made him he did not make Arsenal....

He came to us as an absolute nobody, inherited that much praised and lauded defence and had his pick of the French market... and succeeded with some terrific players. I think that Invincibles team ran itself...this is what Viera had to say when asked to choose between Wenger & Jose ............

Despite playing under Wenger for nine years and Mourinho just two, he gave a surprising answer.

"Jose," he said, in an answer sure to anger Arsenal fans. "He's the manager who had more influence on me.

"Why? Because he was the one who impressed me most on his work ethic. He knew everything about the opposition, the strength, weakness.

"His detail was unbelievable; everything was so clear about what he wanted from each player. I don't know what happened at Chelsea but he always got the best out of his players.

"Arsene is more concentrated on his own team. He gives freedom to players to express themselves. It's a different style."

That last line...sound familiar?? That is exactly what he is still doing. But what if the players aren't like the Invincibles, what if they need guidance, what if they look to a leader, to the manager, to the bench for help?? There isn't any help..... And therein lies the problem. There is the Arsenal of the past decade.

I think as Wenger's powerhouse team became so dominant & mighty his own confidence grew & grew. .....And I think he absolutely hated having a big outspoken, dominant character in the team like Viera, especially because he must have known that Viera was a big part of the driving force that created his success.

Eventually , like Pinocchio Wenger thought he was a real boy, broke the team up with the confident, swaggering intention of building a new one. That was over a decade ago...and if he truly is a great manager then please tell me why he hasn't??? And it's not financial restraint, Wenger must have pissed away & wasted more money on dregs than almost every other manager out there.

Wenger is a type of manager who happens to work in football, he is not a football manager and I don't think he knows much about the modern game. The Invincibles created this modern day monster. And he is been found out again & again, but as teams improve, as managers get up to speed with the modern game, Wenger is getting left further & further behind and this is now all crashing down around his ears... And because his ego won't allow it, nobody is going to be able to help him.

What is so much worse for him now is that the seemingly minor problems on the pitch, problems that stopped us winning major titles, but got him into the Top 4 and kept his myth alive, have now become Major ones....and he if couldn't fix them then, he sure as hell ain't gonna be able to fix them now.

The spin, lies & BS is going to become more & more ludicrous & the man will eventually leave in ignominy.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am
Back to the team for a change from me. It's ironic I've just realised he has gone full circle. When he took over the team Graham had left a brilliant defence and we had Bergkamp and Wright.
What Wenger did brilliantly was bring in some of the best midfielders we have seen. Vieira and Petit. Add a sprinkle of Overmars and the young Anelka we were Champions.
Now we have a bad midfield like we did towards the end of Graham's time. Difference is we don't have a brilliant defence.
...or top strikers like Bergkamp and Wrighty. :(
Or a world class keeper like Spunky.

We is fucked.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am
I have said this before and the more I think about this man, the more I think this is accurate. I think Wenger got lucky, I don't think he was ever a "great" manager. Arsenal made him he did not make Arsenal....

He came to us as an absolute nobody, inherited that much praised and lauded defence and had his pick of the French market... and succeeded with some terrific players. I think that Invincibles team ran itself...this is what Viera had to say when asked to choose between Wenger & Jose ............

Despite playing under Wenger for nine years and Mourinho just two, he gave a surprising answer.

"Jose," he said, in an answer sure to anger Arsenal fans. "He's the manager who had more influence on me.

"Why? Because he was the one who impressed me most on his work ethic. He knew everything about the opposition, the strength, weakness.

"His detail was unbelievable; everything was so clear about what he wanted from each player. I don't know what happened at Chelsea but he always got the best out of his players.

"Arsene is more concentrated on his own team. He gives freedom to players to express themselves. It's a different style."

That last line...sound familiar?? That is exactly what he is still doing. But what if the players aren't like the Invincibles, what if they need guidance, what if they look to a leader, to the manager, to the bench for help?? There isn't any help..... And therein lies the problem. There is the Arsenal of the past decade.

I think as Wenger's powerhouse team became so dominant & mighty his own confidence grew & grew. .....And I think he absolutely hated having a big outspoken, dominant character in the team like Viera, especially because he must have known that Viera was a big part of the driving force that created his success.

Eventually , like Pinocchio Wenger thought he was a real boy, broke the team up with the confident, swaggering intention of building a new one. That was over a decade ago...and if he truly is a great manager then please tell me why he hasn't??? And it's not financial restraint, Wenger must have pissed away & wasted more money on dregs than almost every other manager out there.

Wenger is a type of manager who happens to work in football, he is not a football manager and I don't think he knows much about the modern game. The Invincibles created this modern day monster. And he is been found out again & again, but as teams improve, as managers get up to speed with the modern game, Wenger is getting left further & further behind and this is now all crashing down around his ears... And because his ego won't allow it, nobody is going to be able to help him.

What is so much worse for him now is that the seemingly minor problems on the pitch, problems that stopped us winning major titles, but got him into the Top 4 and kept his myth alive, have now become Major ones....and he if couldn't fix them then, he sure as hell ain't gonna be able to fix them now.

The spin, lies & BS is going to become more & more ludicrous & the man will eventually leave in ignominy.
probably one of the best and devastatingly accurate posts that there has been on here

General

Post by General »

I've always said the unbeaten team underachieved massively. The 2-1 loss to chavs in the CL springs to mind. Any other team would've buried them in the first leg after they went down to 10men. Instead the fraud settled for a draw and thought he'd breeze through at Highbury. And that was one of the weakest CL competitions ever. Complacency has always been at the heart of Wonga's teams. He's never retained the title, blew massive leads and always came up short against the organised teams in Europe who can also play possession football. No shock when you hear former players highlight the lack of tactical focus and the tendency to ignore the elephant in the room that is the opposition.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am

The sooner the better....

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

he is getting more deranged by the day

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/05/arsene-we ... s-6904074/

now he wants to scrap the January transfer window :roll: :rubchin:

how about he actually coaches his players so they might want to stay?! :D

Herd

Post by Herd »

It's standard Wenger speak ,he appeals to the fans for backing , so when they play shit again and the fans get restless he can blame it all on us !
Simple formula rinse repeat,as someone earlier on here said if he spent as much time analysing why he keeps getting it wrong we might progress but he doesn't so expect more of the same ad infinitum !

I'd love a banner

It's not the fans
It's not the Players
It's you !

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Herd wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am
It's standard Wenger speak ,he appeals to the fans for backing , so when they play shit again and the fans get restless he can blame it all on us !
Simple formula rinse repeat,as someone earlier on here said if he spent as much time analysing why he keeps getting it wrong we might progress but he doesn't so expect more of the same ad infinitum !

I'd love a banner

It's not the fans
It's not the Players
It's you !
Love it, that's gonna get made Herd..... if he lingers longer, I'm gonna get that commissioned. Maybe put HEY ARSENE at the top. YOU in bold

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:45 am
he is getting more deranged by the day

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/05/arsene-we ... s-6904074/

now he wants to scrap the January transfer window :roll: :rubchin:

how about he actually coaches his players so they might want to stay?! :D

Really Arsene ?? You think the players might still be thinking about their next move ?? Surely not ??

You're right Rob, he's completely deranged. I thought the Hunger Index had all this final year of contract covered ?? I thought Ivan told us that the transfer window was actually a huge success and keeping those final year players showed the Club's ambition ?? But.....Arsene now thinks they might be a little distracted and planning to go.....wow, who'd a thunk it ??!! As for the January window, I don't remember him crying about it when he bought Arshavin to drag our sorry arses into the top 4. Sadly, as Xisstential always says, these questions won't get asked.

Perhaps he's not deranged at all, as I said yesterday, he's the arch political dictator. It's just the usual never-ending, moving goalposts, so when it all goes horribly wrong, the akb cretins will grasp these woeful excuses.....it's not Arsene's fault, it's the nasty FA / UEFA / FIFA, for permitting a January transfer window. Mind you, all that said, these nonsensical, bullshit excuses are becoming more and more obtuse and surreal. NURSE !!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

bbc website:

Arsenal plan to hold contract talks with players whose contracts expire at the end of next season to avoid situations like this summer when Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil, who are both 28, started the season with one year left on their deals. (Daily Telegraph)

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has emailed the club's players to tell them their "improved squad" can challenge for the Premier League title this season. (Daily Star)

You really couldn't make this shyte up....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Or something along the lines of

"OI !!! WENGER YA W.A.N.K
It's Not the fans
It's Not the Players
It's YOU ! YA USELESS PLANK