Team Spirit issues and management of Laca

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Team Spirit issues and management of Laca

Post by nut flush gooner »

We all know this has been a problem for a while, but last night on sky it was plain to see our team is as divided as the fans are. I chose to support Arsenal over the spuds because whilst we didn't have the same technical ability as them in the early/mid 80s there was an endearing never say die attitude. By the time we got to the late 80s with a bit of quality added we where a formidable force.

The team today just doesn't seem to understand what it means to represent Arsenal (perhaps with the exception of a rejuvenated Jack).

Add to that we have one of the best finishers in the premier league, who AW seems hell bent on pissing off by making him the first man to be taken off in almost any situation. Not to mention dropping him for no reason in a few big games earlier this season. I have already written off Sanchez and Ozil as two players only interested in fucking off to Manchester. We should be rebuilding around Laca, not making things so bad for him, that it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to leave at the end of the season.

General

Re: Team Spirit issues and management of Laca

Post by General »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:18 am
We all know this has been a problem for a while, but last night on sky it was plain to see our team is as divided as the fans are. I chose to support Arsenal over the spuds because whilst we didn't have the same technical ability as them in the early/mid 80s there was an endearing never say die attitude. By the time we got to the late 80s with a bit of quality added we where a formidable force.

The team today just doesn't seem to understand what it means to represent Arsenal (perhaps with the exception of a rejuvenated Jack).

Add to that we have one of the best finishers in the premier league, who AW seems hell bent on pissing off by making him the first man to be taken off in almost any situation. Not to mention dropping him for no reason in a few big games earlier this season. I have already written off Sanchez and Ozil as two players only interested in fucking off to Manchester. We should be rebuilding around Laca, not making things so bad for him, that it wouldn't surprise me if he wants to leave at the end of the season.
No, we just need a new manager. You could read this backwards and it still wouldn't lose its meaning.

nut flush gooner

General wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:

No, we just need a new manager. You could read this backwards and it still wouldn't lose its meaning.
The manager won't leave for at least 18 months, you know that. The team spirit issue needs addressing now, regardless of who is in charge. It's a club culture thing as much as anything else.

Tony Adams once famously said in a team meeting after the Blackburn defeat in 1997/98, when are you boys ( he mean the French lads) going to start playing. The rest as we know is history. Someone within the club either certain players or the management needs to bring everyone together. You almost wish there was a bit of a drinking culture, that certainly made a difference in the 90s (although I do accept times have changed).

General

Post by General »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:47 pm
General wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:

The manager won't leave for at least 18 months, you know that. The team spirit issue needs addressing now, regardless of who is in charge. It's a club culture thing as much as anything else.

Tony Adams once famously said in a team meeting after the Blackburn defeat in 1997/98, when are you boys ( he mean the French lads) going to start playing. The rest as we know is history. Someone within the club either certain players or the management needs to bring everyone together. You almost wish there was a bit of a drinking culture, that certainly made a difference in the 90s (although I do accept times have changed).
To achieve what exactly? As long as Wenger remains in charge, it's all an exercise in futility.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

General wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:00 pm

To achieve what exactly? As long as Wenger remains in charge, it's all an exercise in futility.
Indeed, infact I have no idea why I even watch (some) Arsenal games while he is still around, total waste of time, seen everything before, might as well switch off for the next 18 months, even after that I don't expect much when we get another second rate manager to replace him..

Boring, boring Arsenal is certainly apt these days..

:evil:

NickF

Post by NickF »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:47 pm
The team spirit issue needs addressing now, regardless of who is in charge. It's a club culture thing as much as anything else.
It has needed addressing for a number of years now but like most aspects of this club, it has been ignored.
We all know the only way it is going to change......
when we get another second rate manager to replace him..
Honestly don't care who we get to replace him as long as he is replaced. A manager who has only just joined is far easier to get rid off than one that has (undeservedly) been there 20+ years. To be honest, there are enough of the rent-a-manager types (Pep, Mourinho, Ancelotti etc.) who only stay at clubs a few seasons before moving on.
Last edited by NickF on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:

The team spirit thing has been an issue for a while now, and can only see it getting worse because long gone are the days of a TA6/PV4 getting hold of the team and sorting it out amongst themselves. Wenger's ensured we don't have those types around here, voicing opinions or challenging his authority, so now they are left to themselves with no leader present. As for Lacazette, I just can't make my mind up. Sometimes IMO he has been rightly hauled off and virtually anonymous for long spells, but undoubtedly there have been times when Wenger's pre-planned substitution has taken place regardless of his performance. That too has been happening for donkeys and not just with Lacazette. The Ox was always guaranteed to be hauled off a couple of years back despite the fact that gormless pricks like Wally or Ramsey were allowed to be utter gash for the whole 90 minutes

Sanchez and Ozil can both fuck off now for all I care - don't want to be here, piss off then.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Lacazette's problem goes on behind him . It's an unwritten law that every move has to go through Sanchez and Ozil and no matter where he runs until these two have found each other like Giroud he may as well stand around and light a fag while he waits.
He runs it goes sideways , he runs again it goes back . He runs to the far post and the ball gets crossed to the other side , he feeds off the scraps . Then he gets taken off . Until we start to play a more direct game he will suffer and then leave.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

There's no spirit because the players, like most of the fans have lost all faith.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think Lacazette lacks the yard of pace to be a truly top striker in the PL, but I've been really impressed by his close control, hold up play and passing and his composure and ability to shoot with both feet.

I definitely feel he could be a good player for us, but I don't feel AW has made any concession to him arriving.
Against Palace he was often alone in the box surrounded by 4 or 5 defenders. Jack's return should help him get quicker service, but in general we amble upfield with the ball, the wide players always cut inside (Sanchez never takes on his defender on the outside these days) so what should he do?
We don't break quickly, we don't play quick through-balls, we don't cross the ball; I'm at a loss to know what a striker is supposed to do in that situation.

General

Post by General »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 pm
I think Lacazette lacks the yard of pace to be a truly top striker in the PL, but I've been really impressed by his close control, hold up play and passing and his composure and ability to shoot with both feet.
I can understand the outpouring of grief but as you say he's not without his faults either. He lacks outright pace and hasn't got Sanchez's intensity. He looks more like a number 10 to me than an out and out striker. Like an inferior version of DB10.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don't see that , I think he is coming back and joining in with the pass,pass system purely to get a touch of the ball . You don't have to be lightning fast if you time your runs right. If the others don't pick him out then he will look slow. Currently give a midfielder the chance to pass to him or Ozil or Sanchez and he is always third choice. He did the unexpected by taking a shot for Mustaphi's goal , most would have passed it back to the halfway line and he set Sanchez for the second and coming short for the third took one of the back 3 out leaving Sanchez with two instead of three . Don't think he deserves the criticism he's getting.

nut flush gooner

General wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
I can understand the outpouring of grief but as you say he's not without his faults either. He lacks outright pace and hasn't got Sanchez's intensity. He looks more like a number 10 to me than an out and out striker. Like an inferior version of DB10.
Pace is not a pre requisite for a striker to get a decent return. Harry Kane doesn't have blistering pace. Nor did Teddy Sheringham or Alan Smith.

Ozil and Sanchez always end up on the same side of the pitch, despite the team setup meaning they should play either side of Laca and look to play him in. I accept our front line is fluid, but that doesn't get away from certain players only looking out for their "mates". It is correct that we don't have the players to verbally shake the team up, someone like Jack could do it, but he probably is wary for his place if he speaks out of turn.

Sanchez was seen in Paris over Christmas. Selling him to PSG even for £10m would be a better solution than allowing him to go to city in the summer on a free.

To say Laca is a number 10 is ridiculous, he's a goal poacher. The team should be set up to ensure he gets the optimal number of goals.

General

Post by General »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 pm
General wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
Pace is not a pre requisite for a striker to get a decent return. Harry Kane doesn't have blistering pace. Nor did Teddy Sheringham or Alan Smith.

Ozil and Sanchez always end up on the same side of the pitch, despite the team setup meaning they should play either side of Laca and look to play him in. I accept our front line is fluid, but that doesn't get away from certain players only looking out for their "mates". It is correct that we don't have the players to verbally shake the team up, someone like Jack could do it, but he probably is wary for his place if he speaks out of turn.

Sanchez was seen in Paris over Christmas. Selling him to PSG even for £10m would be a better solution than allowing him to go to city in the summer on a free.

To say Laca is a number 10 is ridiculous, he's a goal poacher. The team should be set up to ensure he gets the optimal number of goals.
You're preaching to the choir mate.

My only motivation is to see the back of Wenger. Until then micro analysis can wait.

As for Lacazette I was simply highlighting the fact that he's far from perfect. Either way, zero fucks given. I couldn't give a toss if we play the yoof team for the rest of the season.

General

Post by General »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 pm
There's no spirit because the players, like most of the fans have lost all faith.
The real team spirit issues would be laid bare when the fraud is finally out of the club and the new manager is faced with the task of instilling a proper winning mentality in the team. When he has to make do with a team he didn't build from scratch and the psychological challenges that come with it. That's when the real work starts. It's what Mourinho, Klopp and Pep are facing at their respective clubs and you simply cannot quantify the impact or put a monetary value on it. For them it's easy to lose the dressing room when players you didn't buy suddenly start dissenting and undermine your authority. Wenger has no such issues and any sign of rebellion and you're slowly ushered out of the door.