Premier League refs

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Premier League refs

Post by Nos89 »

I don't agree with Wenger too often but on this he makes sense. The refs are full time professional. The decisions lately are ridiculous. Dyche's rant the other day was spot on too. What is the referees training schedule? What is going on with the feedback from the refs observations? Some of the decision this season have been disgraceful, not just for us but across the league. The refs should be challenged after games too. They were better when they did it as a hobby, not as a profession.

Bob Bayliss

Re: Premier League refs

Post by Bob Bayliss »

It may well be the case that refs standards "haven't improved" since they became fully professional, but it's a bit rich coming from him.

Mike Dean would be fully justified in responding that the standard of management at Arsenal hasn't improved over the past ten years, despite the huge amounts of money the club has spent on renewing contracts. The Old Fraud should put his own house in order. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Besides, I didn't hear him complaining about the standards of refereeing when we got the benefit of highly dubious decisions at the end of the last two games at Burnley, and possibly the home match as well. It comes across as whingeing and trying to deflect attention from his own deficiencies.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Standard of refereeing is poor at times but the standard of play and coaching can also be dreadful.
It was an awful decision in my opinion but I knew immediately that it would again be used to hide the obvious poor performance.

General

Post by General »

Mike Dean is an abysmal referee and has a long history of courting controversy. I probably started despising him around 2008 and he should've been demoted to the lower leagues years ago. Not condoning it but I think he was his with a coin at Cardiff City a couple of years ago after another atrocious performance.

Having said that, it's pot and kettle when you hear the criticisms coming from Wenger. We probably benefit from poor refereeing decisions more than we suffer from them. Strangely when you dig a little deeper into the progressive decline in the standard of refereeing you would find a lot of similarities with what's happening at this club. PGMOL which appoints referees is headed by Mike Riley who has total control, zero accountability and has marginalised some of the old school referees including Keith Hackett. Hackett even recently argued that there are only 5 top referees in the league and it was time to consider bringing in referees from overseas. I think the introduction of VAR will take away some of the inherent issues.

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

The reasons most refs are shit is because the pool of talent is shallow and it's shallow because no one wants to be a ref because of all the abuse. But all the abuse could be ended pretty quickly.

Similarly with time wasting and other little things, it would only require one weekend of it being clamped down on to end it. If a player swears at the ref, send them off, no ifs no buts. If a player starts to time waste give them a yellow at the first opportunity. Then the second time give another. If every player in a team is rotating the time wasting book each of them.

Use VAR to help refs in the top division at least. Assist the referees, it's a tough job and even the ones who try not to be a cnt are doing a difficult job.

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 am
It may well be the case that refs standards "haven't improved" since they became fully professional, but it's a bit rich coming from him.

Mike Dean would be fully justified in responding that the standard of management at Arsenal hasn't improved over the past ten years, despite the huge amounts of money the club has spent on renewing contracts. The Old Fraud should put his own house in order. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Besides, I didn't hear him complaining about the standards of refereeing when we got the benefit of highly dubious decisions at the end of the last two games at Burnley, and possibly the home match as well. It comes across as whingeing and trying to deflect attention from his own deficiencies.

Summed it up perfectly for me 8) :barscarf:

Managers like this french c.unt should be reminded of the decisions that have gone in his favour in the past (the burnley one is the most recent), when he has the audacity to rant and slate the referee's performances. I find it also ironic that people expect referee's to come out after a game and explain/justify their decisions - try asking a manager to do the same and watch the fireworks :roll:
More hypocrisy is when managers feel entitled to make sweeping statements of the abilities of match officials - can you imagine the backlash if a current premiership referee come out and question wenker's performance ? Within the hour said referee would be suspended and then relegated to the championship :evil:

The thing here though, is that dean is an arrogant crooked c.unt and every fan in the country knows that - yes it has allowed the french c.unt to deflect from another dire performance against a team in bottom 3, but dean's abilities have already been question once in the last year when he was relegated down to the championship, and for the life of me I cannot unerstand why he was allowed back up

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:27 am
It may well be the case that refs' standards "haven't improved" since they became fully professional, but it's a bit rich coming from him.

General

Post by General »

Mistical92 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:41 pm
The reasons most refs are shit is because the pool of talent is shallow and it's shallow because no one wants to be a ref because of all the abuse. But all the abuse could be ended pretty quickly.
The system needs overhaul and they need to start by removing Riley's monopoly. If it was down to abuse, Dean would've given up a long time ago. Fact of the matter is he loves the limelight. They earn £70k a year + bonuses and expenses which is on par with a typical MP's salary so they are far from paupers.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I was pissed off after the game yesterday, because Dean is a *word censored*, but i'm not delusional enough to not see the decisions that have gone for us, in the last few seasons. In the reverse fixture, a West Brom player was clearly fouled, yet the ref didn't give a penalty. My issue with last night is that i don't put it down to bad refereeing. Look at the angle Dean has, he can't see what has happened, so he guesses. I think he cheated, and the biggest problem is, there are zero repercussions for it.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The irony is those having a pop at Wenger's comments are still arguing the same case as those having a pop at refs bad decisions, it doesn't matter whether the decision goes for us or against us the outcome is still ultimately the same, a bad decision which seems unaccountable and i agree that the standard of referring has dropped and they need to be more accountable and have some sort of external oversight.

Lets be honest if a manager, immaterial of who it is, steps too far out of line with the 4th official, the linesman or the referee there is action taken against them and this is rightly plastered all over the media as bad behaviour/sportsmanship whatever but referees seem to be a law unto themselves.

No one denies that referees and match officials have a hard job these days, especially with the new brand of 'sportmanslike' behaviour and gamesmanship on show these days but they are professionals nowadays and should be equally accountable. Lets be honest there is a huge amount of money involved in the game these days and decisions they make can have a drastic effect on teams which often players, managers, owners have little to no control over. We're happy to dig down on players, managers, owners etc for poor performances and bad decisions, christ we have the ultimate case in point, but when refs do it there's a quick moan and we move on.

Putting aside our own clubs ludicrous situation at the moment how many times a season does the money spent on a ticket seem wasted and has the outcome of any set of fans enjoyment of a match been decided not by the players on the pitch but by the match officials and how often can that be crucial as a season progresses.

Not everything needs to come back to disagreeing with an opinion on a situation just because its our idiot managers and as the saying goes even a broken watch is right twice a day :rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 am
The irony is those having a pop at Wenger's comments are still arguing the same case as those having a pop at refs bad decisions, it doesn't matter whether the decision goes for us or against us the outcome is still ultimately the same, a bad decision which seems unaccountable and i agree that the standard of referring has dropped and they need to be more accountable and have some sort of external oversight.

Lets be honest if a manager, immaterial of who it is, steps too far out of line with the 4th official, the linesman or the referee there is action taken against them and this is rightly plastered all over the media as bad behaviour/sportsmanship whatever but referees seem to be a law unto themselves.

No one denies that referees and match officials have a hard job these days, especially with the new brand of 'sportmanslike' behaviour and gamesmanship on show these days but they are professionals nowadays and should be equally accountable. Lets be honest there is a huge amount of money involved in the game these days and decisions they make can have a drastic effect on teams which often players, managers, owners have little to no control over. We're happy to dig down on players, managers, owners etc for poor performances and bad decisions, christ we have the ultimate case in point, but when refs do it there's a quick moan and we move on.

Putting aside our own clubs ludicrous situation at the moment how many times a season does the money spent on a ticket seem wasted and has the outcome of any set of fans enjoyment of a match been decided not by the players on the pitch but by the match officials and how often can that be crucial as a season progresses.

Not everything needs to come back to disagreeing with an opinion on a situation just because its our idiot managers and as the saying goes even a broken watch is right twice a day :rubchin:
Only post on this thread worth reading tbh. 8)

When it gets to the point that people feel they can't call a cheating cúnt like Mike Dean a cheating cúnt because oh noes they would be seen to be agreeing with Wenger then what's the fucking point anymore ffs? The poxy fucking one-dimensional agenda on here is choking the life out of the place. :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:21 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

When it gets to the point that people feel they can't call a cheating cúnt like Mike Dean a cheating cúnt because oh noes they would be seen to be agreeing with Wenger then what's the fucking point anymore ffs? The poxy fucking one-dimensional agenda on here is choking the life out of the place. :roll:
:high5:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Too broad a sweeping statement for my liking my midget friend - there have been a good few comments (on this thread and in the official match thread) from posters like myself, who have absolutely slated mike dean, and called him out for the crooked c.unt that he is.
However, we all do need to recognise that there are also members on this forum who stated at the time, that the focus (driven by wenker) will be put squarely on the awful penalty decision and totally ignore yet another horrendous display ......... fair to say that those guys were 100% right too. Most football people have long since recognised that moaninho frequently goes on the attack slating all and sundry to deflect from his teams woeful performances, and many journo's openly say that - to a lot of us, this is right out of the moaninho playbook. I have read and heard comments slating dean's decision and saying that we were done out of the 3pts that we would have deserved ......... how did we deserve them ? :? Football is full of games where a team got more than they deserved and I absolutely recognise that, but lets be honest and admit that regardless of how it happened, a draw was a fair result on sunday. I dont think that I have EVER seen/heard wenker come out and admit that we won cos of a poor decision in our favour (burnley for example), and it is shocking when an absolute w**ker like pardew was willing to say that they were fortunate with the decision, when our wankbag wouldnt dream of doing the same thing. If a manager is willing to be fair and honest in incidents like this then he would be respected for doing it, but our c.unt is an absolutely hypocritical c.unt who continually moans when decisions go against him, and is mute when they goes his way :oops: :oops:

Let me also take issue with the suggestion that managers are hammered by the fa when they step out of line with a match official - how many times has wenger been charged much less convicted ? This is a guy that harresses the 4th official every single fcuking week, and yet never seems to get into trouble for it :shock: :shock:

I also think that a point that was ignored, was that managers who question the performances of match officials (other than dean), should in turn have their performances publicly torn apart too. Managers and players feel entitled to criticise match officials, but yet throw the dummies out of the pram when they are slated publicly, or grilled at a press conference :roll: All of these people (players, managers and match officials) are being paid for doing a job here, and when it comes down to it, the only one's who should be entitled to demand answers/improvements are those that pay their wages ....... us fans. Obviously I am simplfying things there, but I know that wenker would have a massive meltdown if a match official publicly dissected his performance as manager, and that is the where wenker's hypocrisy lets him down.

PS Let me say again that my points in this post were generalised opinions on match officials as a group, and in no way were meant as a defence of an official that we all know is a corrupt egotistical b**tard :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

augie wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Too broad a sweeping statement for my liking my midget friend - there have been a good few comments (on this thread and in the official match thread) from posters like myself, who have absolutely slated mike dean, and called him out for the crooked c.unt that he is.
However, we all do need to recognise that there are also members on this forum who stated at the time, that the focus (driven by wenker) will be put squarely on the awful penalty decision and totally ignore yet another horrendous display ......... fair to say that those guys were 100% right too. Most football people have long since recognised that moaninho frequently goes on the attack slating all and sundry to deflect from his teams woeful performances, and many journo's openly say that - to a lot of us, this is right out of the moaninho playbook. I have read and heard comments slating dean's decision and saying that we were done out of the 3pts that we would have deserved ......... how did we deserve them ? :? Football is full of games where a team got more than they deserved and I absolutely recognise that, but lets be honest and admit that regardless of how it happened, a draw was a fair result on sunday. I dont think that I have EVER seen/heard wenker come out and admit that we won cos of a poor decision in our favour (burnley for example), and it is shocking when an absolute w**ker like pardew was willing to say that they were fortunate with the decision, when our wankbag wouldnt dream of doing the same thing. If a manager is willing to be fair and honest in incidents like this then he would be respected for doing it, but our c.unt is an absolutely hypocritical c.unt who continually moans when decisions go against him, and is mute when they goes his way :oops: :oops:

Let me also take issue with the suggestion that managers are hammered by the fa when they step out of line with a match official - how many times has wenger been charged much less convicted ? This is a guy that harresses the 4th official every single fcuking week, and yet never seems to get into trouble for it :shock: :shock:

I also think that a point that was ignored, was that managers who question the performances of match officials (other than dean), should in turn have their performances publicly torn apart too. Managers and players feel entitled to criticise match officials, but yet throw the dummies out of the pram when they are slated publicly, or grilled at a press conference :roll: All of these people (players, managers and match officials) are being paid for doing a job here, and when it comes down to it, the only one's who should be entitled to demand answers/improvements are those that pay their wages ....... us fans. Obviously I am simplfying things there, but I know that wenker would have a massive meltdown if a match official publicly dissected his performance as manager, and that is the where wenker's hypocrisy lets him down.

PS Let me say again that my points in this post were generalised opinions on match officials as a group, and in no way were meant as a defence of an official that we all know is a corrupt egotistical b**tard :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Great post... :D :D :D

I saw this morning Wenger said the refs were stuck in the 1950's. Maybe...but coming from him..... nobody is going to take that seriously. If Wenger didn't needlessly & unfairly attack the 4th official in virtually every game, deflect from losses, & get involved in everything from N. Korea to Brexit maybe people would actually listen to him. Whenever him & Mourinho open their mouths these days, people switch off.

And the refs performances SHOULD be analysed after every game, but then, as Augie said, managers cannot throw their toys when their decisions are questioned.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Too broad a sweeping statement for my liking
I suggest you read the thread again.