Chelsea home thread.. (to stop the whining :-))

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
General

Re: Chelsea home thread.. (to stop the whining :-))

Post by General »

Maitland-Niles did well and handled Moses with minimum fuss. Zappacosta was subbed on to exploit his tiredness and typically we didn't adjust. Wenger didn't make a sub until the 80th minute which tells you all you need to know about this man's game management abilities. Sit on your arse and try not to upset the balance whiles the opposition gains momentum. This was the same person complaining about tiredness and fixture list.

There was a moment towards the end when Kante tried to lay a ball through the middle and Conte barked at him to go long. A few seconds later they played the ball down the channel and Morata ended up 1-1 with Cech. Chambers and Mustafi were defending like lesbians.

We seem to cancel each other out every time we play Chelsea possibly because we directly copied their formation. Great game for the neutral but once again it's Arsenal FC that pays the price.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 am
Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am
Allgunsblazin wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 am
Top 4 is a distance away add to that 5th....
Might struggle for 6th if Burnley and Leicester maintain their upward climb...
But Kronski won't butt an eyelid for overpriced mid table mediocrity!....
Yes Leicester and Burnley have a chance of catching us...still think 6/7th is the new normal
You know a club that strives for success has a strong bench, ours compared to the opposition was woeful!...
wanker Wenger says it is his strongest squad, mind you he still thinks we will win the League, deluded old dinosaur

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 am
It's got to stage now that I find cech's penalty record as quite comical. :lol:

It's not so much that he hasn't saved any but he rarely goes the right way.

I don't buy that penalties are a "lottery". They require nerve and skill. Bizarrely, in cechs case, it really is a lottery as he clearly can't predict in the slightest where the taker will put the ball. :oops:
:lol:
Whilst I agree he should save the odd one or two, what we should be sorting out is the number of penalties we give away, compared to the number we get in our favour.
How about the defenders stop making rash challenges and protect their keepers obvious weakness?
On the penalty, exactly what Sean Dyche said, if the player goes down with minimal contact the refs mostly give penalties. Had hazard not exaggerated contact then the ref would not have given a penalty.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Anyone else sick of being in entertaining games? Normally that we don't win.....

Get me back to boring 1-0 wins where teams hated playing us

Midz

Post by Midz »

General wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am

Chambers and Mustafi were defending like lesbians.

I like lesbians they're great :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 am
General wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 am

Chambers and Mustafi were defending like lesbians.

I like lesbians they're great :barscarf: :barscarf:
Thank you. We try hard.

Licka licka. 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

Mistical92 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:33 am
northbank123 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 pm
What puzzles me is why we don’t seem to play like that against far worse teams? Yes we wouldn’t get it right every game, we lack a real quality goalscorer and our defence is a fucking disgrace so we wouldn’t be title contenders, but we would surely fairly regularly put 4+ goals on sides like City, Liverpool and when they’re on form Spurs do if we did?
This infuriates me as well, against the big sides we play with pace and intent, why not just do the same against WBA and Southampton and treat them apart? Run at the defence, create gaps with pace and movement. The intricate tippy tappy does fuck all again a solid back 4.
Me too. Although Wenger’s emphasis on ‘’technical quality’’ gets on my nerves, our players are better technically than most in this mediocre league and when we play with more tempo not only is it much better to watch, it is much more effective too. And it doesn’t have to be detrimental to the defensive side of the game either. Yet it seems as though Wenger doesn’t grasp this … or at least that he doesn’t make his players grasp it by instilling in the team the importance of playing faster.

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am

Whilst I agree he should save the odd one or two, what we should be sorting out is the number of penalties we give away, compared to the number we get in our favour.
How about the defenders stop making rash challenges and protect their keepers obvious weakness?
On the penalty, exactly what Sean Dyche said, if the player goes down with minimal contact the refs mostly give penalties. Had hazard not exaggerated contact then the ref would not have given a penalty.
Good point about the rash challenges mate.

This time last year Bellerin gave away a stupid penalty away at Bournemouth by making contact in the box when he didn’t need to. He has done it again several times since, most recently at Watford and again last night. Obviously lessons are not being learned as always as Wenger wants the players to work it out for themselves.

Having said that, football would be a much better game when tackles like that one last night and Chambers handball would never even be considered as a penalty.

flash gunner wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 am
Anyone else sick of being in entertaining games? Normally that we don't win.....

Get me back to boring 1-0 wins where teams hated playing us
Totally agree mate.

Although we’re also involved in some absolute stinkers as well. The games at West Ham and West Brom were like torture. A non-Arsenal mate told me Im never happy as I moan when its stale and boring …. And then I moan when its too open and entertaining. But there is a massive amount of middle ground between our contrasting performances.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 am
arseofacrow wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am
Maitland Niles - tidy going forward, comfortbale on the ball but had a nightmare as a full back. Didn't stop any of Chelsea's crosses coming in and actually didn't look interested in doing it. Liability at the back.
Don't agree with that at all, mate. I thought he was our best defender by a country mile (not difficult in fairness! :wink: ). He soaked up Moses to the point where the Spiv Neville even commented on it and to the point where Moses actually stopped trying to take him on and was replaced by Zappacosta as early as the 55th (I think?) minute. Very few fullbacks in the modern game stop crosses coming in - like tackling it is becoming a dying art - and mostly defend by trying to stop their opponent doing them down the touchline. If that (rightly or wrongly) is the criteria for judging modern FB's then Maitland-Niles did well defencively last night.
Considering he isn't a full back and the fact there isnt a decent full back at the club to learn from I thought he did very well,I wouldn't even blame him for the second goal,that was down to the centre backs switching off,he looked calm and composed with the ball,I'm not blowing smoke up the boys arse but his only real concerns are Wengers appalling management and his own attitude as to whether he does big things in the game,just hope he dont believe the hype and end up like that Dench cu*t

GTG

Post by GTG »

Anyone else see that video doing the rounds of some chav in our end celebrating their pen/goal totally taking the piss. No one even said a word to him.

Not advocating flattening him however tempting it may be but he should have at least been told to button it.

Cant comment to much on the game itself as I was out for most of it only caught the last 15 mins but I cannot for the life of me understand how Bould can just sit there and watch these defensive horror shows season after season and not at least try and speak to Le Voyeur and plead with him to try something different to sort it out.

Surely there relationship cant be so bad that they don't have those sorts of conversations.... or could it be that Bould is getting some input and is just fucking useless as a coach?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GTG wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Anyone else see that video doing the rounds of some chav in our end celebrating their pen/goal totally taking the piss. No one even said a word to him.

Not advocating flattening him however tempting it may be but he should have at least been told to button it.

Cant comment to much on the game itself as I was out for most of it only caught the last 15 mins but I cannot for the life of me understand how Bould can just sit there and watch these defensive horror shows season after season and not at least try and speak to Le Voyeur and plead with him to try something different to sort it out.

Surely there relationship cant be so bad that they don't have those sorts of conversations.... or could it be that Bould is getting some input and is just fucking useless as a coach?
You know I think that is the first time I've heard anyone ask that question? We all assume he just stays schtum and collects his £1million a year but maybe he is just THAT shit as a coach.... :| But tbh I still think he isn't let coach the defence by Wenger because I'm sure Wenger was unhappy at the attention and praise Keown got on our run to the CL final in 06.... :|

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

We got lucky that Morata was so poor. You know these huge money signings are such a gamble. Football has just become a defensive block. Chelsea always had about 8 men in the box while we were attacking. Lower teams always back the defence with 8 or 9 men against the bigger teams.
I hope the way City are playing this year will bring back more attacking action but Chelsea have never been exciting to watch just very functional.
Wenger has never been able to find good defence since the 2005 season. That's 12 years ago. So to compensate we now try to copy Chelsea which is why we have been quite boring this season.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

If the elephant man was playing last night instead of Morata we'd be sewing up our arseholes this morning because they'd have been mutilated.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm
If the elephant man was playing last night instead of Morata we'd be sewing up our arseholes this morning because they'd have been mutilated.
Fisting, huh? :rubchin:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 pm
GTG wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm

You know I think that is the first time I've heard anyone ask that question? We all assume he just stays schtum and collects his £1million a year but maybe he is just THAT shit as a coach.... :| But tbh I still think he isn't let coach the defence by Wenger because I'm sure Wenger was unhappy at the attention and praise Keown got on our run to the CL final in 06.... :|
I dont think anyone who was that decent a defender as Bould was would matter if they were a shit coach or not,even a fucking idiot could get the message across as to how to defend space and playing the percentage game for dangerous crosses coming into the box,i think the point about Arsene not allowing input is the real issue.
If that is true about Wenger not wanting the praise shared then that proves what a c*nt he is,surely the success of the club is bigger than the success of Wenger,and even if he did win trophies with the backroom staff he has wouldnt it show what a genius he is by surrounding himself with such a special "group of assistants and coaching staff",
I really hope the truth comes out at some point.......

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm
Fisting, huh? :rubchin:
Your favourite 8)

Saw a good one on twatter last night -

If Morata was the one shooting at Reeva Steenkamp she'd still be alive.

Too soon??? :shock: