David Dein

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Allgunsblazin

Re: David Dein

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Was involved with the club at its most successful time, having met him once he is a quietly spoken decent fellow and could spot a bargain a mile off whether for the club or himself of course...
He is 73 now and I doubt he would want to be involved again, but who knows?... :rubchin:

Sean

Post by Sean »

Having made several posts back when this thread was posted last year, I'll just say that it seems clear now that it was Dein who was the brains of the partnership with The Old Fraud.

Yes, Dein is too old now and also still miraculously thinks that TOF is a good manager, as well as taking millions out the club when bringing both Kroenke and Usmanov to the club in this shit 'Cold War' between two billionaire wankers. Dein also drove the creation of the PL and the gentrification of English football (especially our club) and it's becoming the global league to the total detriment of the home nations players and international sides.

TOF effectively took on Dein's role at the club in 2007, to the total detriment of his supposed actual job of 'just' managing the team and 'trying' to win the damn league. He has proved an utter failure in that regard, as well as in the Be All and End All. We have had a wasted decade as a result and will likely have another two decades of wasted Groundhog Seasons as well, seeing as he is too miserable to retire or snuff it.

1983-2007 was a period of progress for The Arsenal. We won't see that again for a long time at this club, nor shall we see any genuine Arsenal fans on the board under the age of 70. The latest scandalous renewal of The Old Fraud's contract should confirm that the football club is dead. In reality it has been dead since we moved to Cashburton and bulldozed Highbury (RIP). There used to be a football club over there.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Regardless of what's happened and people's feelings towards David Dein, it's hard to see how bringing back the biggest AKB on the planet who has had fleeting involvement in football for the last decade and turns 74 next month would deliver the sort of change people on here demand.

Back in the 90s Dein could see the future and was a perfect counter-weight to Wenger. By the mid-2000s the future which Dein saw was the one we are now in - a commercial behemoth with Kroenke in charge.

And the idea that he would walk back in and Wenger would suddenly be happy to acquiesce all the power which he has built up in the last decade and hand it over to David Dein is laughable. Wenger is like the EU - you can talk about reform, modernising, more accountability and learning from mistakes, but the reality is he will never change and the choice is to accept him as he is or not at all.

All the talk about pressure on his job, all the talk about a Director of Football, all the talk about "fundamental change" from the CEO - as always, all hot air. We are heading into the PL season trying to bridge an 18-point gap by signing an also-ran striker who can't get a start for France ahead of Giroud and a no-mark left back to add to our collection, whilst the rest of the PL (apart from Spurs) is burning cash like there's no tomorrow. We are still not remotely serious about trying to win the title.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:39 am
Regardless of what's happened and people's feelings towards David Dein, it's hard to see how bringing back the biggest AKB on the planet who has had fleeting involvement in football for the last decade and turns 74 next month would deliver the sort of change people on here demand.

Back in the 90s Dein could see the future and was a perfect counter-weight to Wenger. By the mid-2000s the future which Dein saw was the one we are now in - a commercial behemoth with Kroenke in charge.

And the idea that he would walk back in and Wenger would suddenly be happy to acquiesce all the power which he has built up in the last decade and hand it over to David Dein is laughable. Wenger is like the EU - you can talk about reform, modernising, more accountability and learning from mistakes, but the reality is he will never change and the choice is to accept him as he is or not at all.

All the talk about pressure on his job, all the talk about a Director of Football, all the talk about "fundamental change" from the CEO - as always, all hot air. We are heading into the PL season trying to bridge an 18-point gap by signing an also-ran striker who can't get a start for France ahead of Giroud and a no-mark left back to add to our collection, whilst the rest of the PL (apart from Spurs) is burning cash like there's no tomorrow. We are still not remotely serious about trying to win the title.
Agree with most of that, except that Dein was not as innocent as just "seeing the future" of the coming "commercial behemoth" - he avidly and actively helped to make that future a reality. He was an instigator, not just a pragmatic follower, in both the changes to Arsenal, and the "modernisation" (read "murder") of the game itself.

Also please for the love of fuck leave the poxy EU debate to that shitfest thread in the basement. :roll: :box: :banghead: :suicide:

:D :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Dein is viewed with rose tinted glasses due to the last 10 years of dirge we've suffered. He is a huge Wenger fan/mate and Kronke too, i dont think much would have changed if Dein was about nowadays

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:32 am
Dein is viewed with rose tinted glasses due to the last 10 years of dirge we've suffered. He is a huge Wenger fan/mate and Kronke too, i dont think much would have changed if Dein was about nowadays
Agreed.

I'd add we initially missed his ability to strike a deal for a decent player, especially during the seasons after he left and Wenger took over every single duty at the club to build The Project, which ultimately failed. But now I doubt DD could or would benefit us at all, not just because he is an absolute 100% AKB loyalist, but also because the game has changed so much and the network of contacts etc he had in Europe is now most likely just like him... old and retired in all but name.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:02 am
flash gunner wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:32 am
Agreed.

I'd add we initially missed his ability to strike a deal for a decent player, especially during the seasons after he left and Wenger took over every single duty at the club to build The Project, which ultimately failed. But now I doubt DD could or would benefit us at all, not just because he is an absolute 100% AKB loyalist, but also because the game has changed so much and the network of contacts etc he had in Europe is now most likely just like him... old and retired in all but name.
A lucky bloke who got out at just the right time (not forgetting how much cash he made out of it too)

RobG

Post by RobG »

Sean wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:04 pm
He was clearly the man who drove TOF to make signings and improve the team. The Taylor to Wenger's Clough (Bit of a dis-service to Clough, but still).

Unfortunately Dein is also another of TOF's true believers, as shown in that powder-puff Wenger 1000 programme that aired just before we got raped 6-0 at Stamford Bridge in a perfect example as to why TOF isn't fit to manage Arsenal FC and hasn't been for some time. Tellingly, the programme showed little after 2005 or so.

So we're stuck with TOF and Kroenke, much like how North Korea is stuck with the Kim dynasty.

:suicide:

Sadly, this is true. And Dein's return is about as likely as me getting a place in the squad.

And he remains fixated on Wenger and utterly unable to think beyond that.

But whilst he was here and working with Wengo he kept the idiot in check and forced him to act rather than speak. The Sol transfer was down to him and wouldn't have happened otherwise. Doubtless several other wouldn't either.

Poor analogy- but he was Wenger's guide dog. Since he left, Wenger has been and remains utterly unable to comprehend the shortcoming we have and wanders aimlessly on.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

It all went wrong in 2007 when this guy was sacked. Not many fans cared or still care but let's look at the facts.
He joined in 1983 and was instrumental in setting up our youth policy and signing Graham as manager.
Both those served us well in 1989 and again in 1991. Dein got the signings done and whoever Graham wanted he got.
After Graham was sacked Dein signed Bergkamp and helped sack Rioch. In the 10 years Dein and Wenger worked together we also got the deals done. Look at the Campbell signing for example. We all know Wenger doesn't focus on defence so paying 100,000 a week back in 2002 must have come from someone. My guess is that Dein was heavily involved in that deal.
He knew all the players in the club from youth to first team and had a vision of progression for the club that ended when he failed to oust Fitzmann.
Since Wenger has had total control under Silent Stan we fell slowly at first but now look like a club on death row.
I for one thank Dein for the great years of 1983 to 2007. Those who complain he sold his shares are also wrong. He would have made more money if he had kept them, his final throw of the dice failed as well.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:35 pm
It all went wrong in 2007 when this guy was sacked. Not many fans cared or still care but let's look at the facts.
He joined in 1983 and was instrumental in setting up our youth policy and signing Graham as manager.
Both those served us well in 1989 and again in 1991. Dein got the signings done and whoever Graham wanted he got.
After Graham was sacked Dein signed Bergkamp and helped sack Rioch. In the 10 years Dein and Wenger worked together we also got the deals done. Look at the Campbell signing for example. We all know Wenger doesn't focus on defence so paying 100,000 a week back in 2002 must have come from someone. My guess is that Dein was heavily involved in that deal.
He knew all the players in the club from youth to first team and had a vision of progression for the club that ended when he failed to oust Fitzmann.
Since Wenger has had total control under Silent Stan we fell slowly at first but now look like a club on death row.
I for one thank Dein for the great years of 1983 to 2007. Those who complain he sold his shares are also wrong. He would have made more money if he had kept them, his final throw of the dice failed as well.
great post. I agree with that.
Dein is really the man we need to thank for the great success achieved by the club between 1987-2005.
Yes he made mistakes towards the end, but with him at the club you always felt that there was the ambition for Arsenal to be a top club, whereas now there is nothing :x

NickF

Post by NickF »

Didn't he bring in Kroenke though?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Quite possibly he is the only person that could persuade Wenger to go.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:13 pm
I am sure I have said before that If Dein loves Arsenal as much as he professes to he would have had a quiet, private word in Wenkers lughole before now to say “time to step away”. Not step aside or up, but away, for his own health’s sake.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:13 pm
And wenger would get all pikey and say

"Look".

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

NickF wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm
Didn't he bring in Kroenke though?
He did at first and then aligned with Usmanov. I think even he would admit he made mistakes in 2007 but the club really miss his forward thinking. After he was sacked we went downhill quite fast from where we were.