THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by SydneyGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:48 am
Rumour on Twatter that Joachim Löw is first choice to take over from Wenger at the end of this season's regardless of the outcome of this season.

:barscarf:

If so, I'm very excited to see what a post-Wenger Arsenal is like because I've only ever known an Arsenal under his regime.
don't get your hopes up.
these rumours have been going on for years! :D
Feels different this time around. Come the end of the season by his own admission he'll have failed twice in a row now so worst case scenario is he sees out his contract. So the end is near for Wenger. :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:11 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:
Rumour on Twatter that Joachim Löw is first choice to take over from Wenger at the end of this season's regardless of the outcome of this season.

If so, I'm very excited to see what a post-Wenger Arsenal is like because I've only ever known an Arsenal under his regime.
don't get your hopes up.
Feels different this time around. Come the end of the season by his own admission he'll have failed twice in a row now so worst case scenario is he sees out his contract. So the end is near for Wenger. :barscarf:
which means Wenger is not leaving this summer

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:

don't get your hopes up.
Dont write Wenger off....he will fight tooth and nail to stay

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

it can actually be argued that Wenger is having a very successful season.

1. success in the transfer market bringing in top class players, whilst offloading others who were on high wages
2. another domestic cup final reached
3. another first stage in a European competition successfully negotiated
4. season tickets continuing to sell, indicating support for Wenger is still there
5. the illusion of competing for the top 4 has been maintained

and that's not to mention the successful profits made off the pitch.

Bonus time for Wenger surely ?

:wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Wilson wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am
Every poor showing Wenger is 'mad' at the players, yet he clearly doesn't do anything as these rubbish performances just keep coming.

Micheal Owen is spot on: "Arsenal are just not good anymore"

He is so right, we are not a good team. We used to e a good team found out by great teams. But we are bona fine the best of the rest, with the rest being the two Manchester clubs, Tottenahm, Liverpool and Chelsea. We are no longer part of the big clubs. There is a big 5 forming at the moment, at we are not one of them five. Although the sheer denial will continue and we will get worse.
Don't agree with you on that. We are every bit as as big as the others. We don't belong the rest of the clubs. We've lost a bit of direction on the pitch because of the manager. Look at the clubs you quote, apart from united the others have copied what we've been doing over the last 20 years. There's still no titles for spurs or Liverpool. Don't let the media bias fool you. We're slowly changing out ways and like man united we will be back in the top 4 next season. Chelski, spurs and Liverpool will fade away.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:17 am
SydneyGooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:

don't get your hopes up.
apparently Ian wright let it slip on match of the day that wenger is staying another two years up until he is 70,i guess once he reaches that milestone he will just continue anyway regardless,we are doomed :banghead:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:13 pm
Wilson wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:56 am
Every poor showing Wenger is 'mad' at the players, yet he clearly doesn't do anything as these rubbish performances just keep coming.

Micheal Owen is spot on: "Arsenal are just not good anymore"

He is so right, we are not a good team. We used to e a good team found out by great teams. But we are bona fine the best of the rest, with the rest being the two Manchester clubs, Tottenahm, Liverpool and Chelsea. We are no longer part of the big clubs. There is a big 5 forming at the moment, at we are not one of them five. Although the sheer denial will continue and we will get worse.
Don't agree with you on that. We are every bit as as big as the others. We don't belong the rest of the clubs. We've lost a bit of direction on the pitch because of the manager. Look at the clubs you quote, apart from united the others have copied what we've been doing over the last 20 years. There's still no titles for spurs or Liverpool. Don't let the media bias fool you. We're slowly changing out ways and like man united we will be back in the top 4 next season. Chelski, spurs and Liverpool will fade away.
Handsome is as handsome does. Whether we are potentially as big as the five clubs above us or not, while we have this manager in charge we will slowly but surely lose pace with the rest of the pack. It's just as likely that in time we will be vulnerable to other teams with renewed ambition and the resources to back it up.....Everton perhaps? They may have Big Sam and Walcott now, but less than 10 years ago Man City were managed by Mark Hughes and had Michael Ball, Darius Vassell and Stephen Ireland as regulars in the team. Just because we're stagnating, it doesn't mean everyone else will.

Where is the evidence that Spurs, Liverpool or Chelsea will "fade away" next season? Spurs are a young team, well managed, who seem to keep hold of their top players. Liverpool have a fantastic set of forwards, and unlike us are trying to address their defensive problems. Chelsea are having (by their high standards) a moderate season, but they were champions last year, are a few points clear of us and with the ruthless ambitoin of their owner they are never slow to bring in a new manager at the first signs things aren't as good as they should be. If Wenger stays we will not be part of that elite group of clubs. Even If he goes, the jury is out while Kronke remains given that he does not place particular store on success on the pitch, so long as his bank balance is healthy.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Every week that *word censored* Wenger stays is criminal and damaging to the club. The faster he fucks off the better.

Carlo Ancelotti
Joachim Low
Max Allegri (my favorite)

or anyone else would do a better job.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Every time the pressure comes on Wanker, then there is talk of a new manager coming in, but it won't happen. Last season he finished outside the holy grail of top 4, and yet he was still given a new deal. Everyone could want him gone(players included) but as long as Kroenke wants him here, he will be.

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm
Every time the pressure comes on Wanker, then there is talk of a new manager coming in, but it won't happen. Last season he finished outside the holy grail of top 4, and yet he was still given a new deal. Everyone could want him gone(players included) but as long as Kroenke wants him here, he will be.

Do you believe that wenker has kroenke's unconditional support still ? A load of fans keep saying that as long as kroenke has his back wenker is going nowhere, but I am wondering if he still has the same level of support now. All the meeja pundits on various tv channels, newspapers etc are reporting that wenker's power/control has been greatly reduced behind the scenes as has shown with the transfer dealings - could this have happened without kroenke's say so ? If kroenke has authorised a diluting of wenker's power, then you would have to wonder if the support wenker once had is now on the slide .......... we can but hope 8)

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Joachim Low?

Mid-profile manager with a known record of success at international level but lacks club significant management experience to come in, do about the same or perhaps a little worse than we are now so the media, board and AKB's can say that there is no one better than Wenger. :roll:

Allegri, please.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
SydneyGooner wrote:

don't get your hopes up.
Perhaps sooner tahn we thought at the start of this season:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/t ... sz=1&swk=1

#wengerout :barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 pm
Joachim Low?

Mid-profile manager with a known record of success at international level but lacks club significant management experience to come in, do about the same or perhaps a little worse than we are now so the media, board and AKB's can say that there is no one better than Wenger. :roll:

Allegri, please.
Low is more likely, no way does Kroenke have the ambition to go for Allegri who would likely demand a hefty transfer fund on top of a hefty wage for himself, Kroenke will go for another bean counter who can balance the books with his 'investment', those that expect us to compete at the top table once Wenger goes are in for a nasty surprise, Kroenke will be looking for a man similar to TOF.

:banghead:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Diego Simeone would be my preferred choice. No point compromising after waiting so long for change. We need a revolutionary, as of course Wenger once was.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm
Diego Simeone would be my preferred choice. No point compromising after waiting so long for change. We need a revolutionary, as of course Wenger once was.
I agree.

However as others have said it is unlikely to happen with Kroenke as the owner.