Carabao Cup Final v pimped small club | 16:30 | Sunday 25/02

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Carabao Cup Final v pimped small club | 16:30 | Sunday 25/02

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:51 am
Fergie had a luxury player in his successful United team......one David Beckham Great at crossing when no-one was marking him and could take a mean free kick. But in all other areas of the midfielder"s game, pretty weak.

Of course that United team had plenty of capacity to allow for Beckham's limited contribution - Keane, Scholes, Giggs... Ozil would have done just fine alongside those guys.

To that extent I sympathise with him, lazy overpaid bastard though he is.
100% this ^. I also kind of feel sorry for Ozil (as much as is possible to feel sorry for a modern millionaire footballer) in that he went from creating chances for top players at Madrid to watching our shit strikers fluff the chances he created for them.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fergie had a luxury player in his successful United team......one David Beckham Great at crossing when no-one was marking him and could take a mean free kick. But in all other areas of the midfielder"s game, pretty weak.

Of course that United team had plenty of capacity to allow for Beckham's limited contribution - Keane, Scholes, Giggs... Ozil would have done just fine alongside those guys.

100% this ^. I also kind of feel sorry for Ozil (as much as is possible to feel sorry for a modern millionaire footballer) in that he went from creating chances for top players at Madrid to watching our shit strikers fluff the chances he created for them.
He was quite aware of this teams problems when he signed his mega contract. I can't feel sorry for someone who only seems to turn up when we're playing Everton (or the like) at home

Goonimp

Post by Goonimp »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 pm
Third goal went in, mass exodus and a big punch up on the concourse between Wenger in and out blokes. Welcome to 2018 Arsenal
But did you get the first punch in? :box:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

He was quite aware of this teams problems when he signed his mega contract. I can't feel sorry for someone who only seems to turn up when we're playing Everton (or the like) at home
You could level that at every single modern Arsenal player tbh. I struggle to feel sorry for any of these pampered entitled hipster ceeunts that get paid millions to kick a ball around.... :censored:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:01 am
flash gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:56 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

You could level that at every single modern Arsenal player tbh. I struggle to feel sorry for any of these pampered entitled hipster ceeunts that get paid millions to kick a ball around.... :censored:
Ozil is a luxury player this side doesn't have the luxury of playing,

Midz

Post by Midz »

Likely to see the same scoreline (or worse) on Thursday. Mind you, Mikhitaryan will be allowed to play then so whether or not he can make any difference remains to be seen.
I don't have much faith in him either but if he prooves me wrong I'll be happy.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Midz wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am
Likely to see the same scoreline (or worse) on Thursday. Mind you, Mikhitaryan will be allowed to play then so whether or not he can make any difference remains to be seen.
I don't have much faith in him either but if he prooves me wrong I'll be happy.
I have Faith in a numbe rof our players - Though of course underpants stains like iwobi, cech, bfg etc can all fuckoff...It is the manager, his assistant, his backroom team and the medical team and the owner & board I have No Faith in whatsoever.

:cry:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:29 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm
they will tear us a new one. Our bunch of snowflakes need to get ready with the lube. :x
I seem to recall a lot of people on here predicting something similar in a certain FA Cup final last May..... :lol:

There is simply no way to know what will happen on Sunday. We often lose games we should win and sometimes win games we should get raped in. We are so inconsistent that we could easily win 2-1 and just as easily get beaten 5-1. On paper Citeh are a far superior team.... but so were the chav in May.... :wink:

I have a weird feeling we will win. Not based on any logic or anything.... just a gut feeling.

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Some journo asked Wenger why he was moaning at the 4th official official right at the end and Wenger said it was because he didn’t feel there was enough injury time allocated :shock:

The man’s fucking certifiable. :roll:

When asked what the response he got was he said that the 4th official hit him with this beauty - “what do you want more time for”.

In-fucking-deed.

augie

Post by augie »

City will take the piss on thursday - they will wheel out half of their second team against us, confident in their ability to still turn us over :roll: :oops:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Some journo asked Wenger why he was moaning at the 4th official official right at the end and Wenger said it was because he didn’t feel there was enough injury time allocated :shock:

When asked what the response he got was he said that the 4th official hit him with this beauty - “what do you want more time for”.

In-fucking-deed.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 am

In-fucking-deed.

You are taking the piss surely ?? :shock: :shock:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:13 am
bunch wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:44 am
I’d like to wade in on the go/don’t go to the games debate. When I started supporting Arsenal fans mattered. There was an underlying belief in a truth that the more fans you had going through the turnstiles, the stronger a team you would be. It meant more money, better players, better football, trophies and glory. All of which would lead to more fans and the virtuous circle continued.

To avoid the vicious cycle of poor results, poor football and no fans leading to less money and cheaper players our culture as supporters has developed this sense of loyalty. Through thick and thin, good times and bad you support the club, you turn up and cheer no matter what. You didn’t change your team. “Glory Hunter” is a term of derision in football.

Things are different now. The impact of the fan through the turnstile on the economics of the “global brand” clubs in the Premier League is marginal. In fact, the correlation between size/loyalty of in stadium support and on field strength and performance is completely bust. How are Bournemouth, , Southampton, Burnley and Stoke able to be Premier League fixtures while Leeds, Sunderland, Sheffield (both of them) Aston Villa, and Birmingham City are not able to make it?

The main role of the fan in the stadium is as an audio-visual backdrop for the game being consumed by the TV audience. The money from TV, the real power in football now, would dry up if games were played in near empty, silent stadiums.

Being a football fan has always been like being in a dysfunctional romantic relationship. We love them but we are not sure they love us. The trophies and some of the great victories are orgasmic. But now we don’t get them very often and it seems like the object of our affection is just going through the motions. But now they don’t even need us and all pretense can be dropped.

I guess what I am saying is go or don’t go. It doesn’t make a difference. We know that seats can be sold to tourists and theatre-goer fans. Our American owner will be familiar with the pattern of season ticket ownership where the seat is used by the purchaser for big marquee games and for others it is sold on or left empty. Think about it, 1000 quid to see Manyoo, Citeh, Chelsea, Spurs, the Mickeys and maybe one good Euro game (AC Milan) That’s 167 quid a pop, not too bad a deal. And you might get some money back on flogging the lesser games.

Personally, I chucked my season ticket at the end of last season. The extension of Wenger’s contract was the act that made me realise the club doesn’t love me back despite my 46 years of loyalty. Like all broken relationships it will never be the same again. Even if the characters killing Arsenal, Wenger and Kroenke, go which would be the pre-requisite, coming back will be difficult for me.
A superb contribution which lays bare the reality of modern top-level football and the role of the attending customer (no longer supporter). For the first time you made me wonder if my 50-year relationship with the club will ever be repaired post-Wenger and Kronke, if I even live that long.

A final thought, though, on the "go or don't go, it doesn't matter" argument. It may very well not matter to them if we stop going as there are plenty of other mugs willing to take our places. The same might be true of a spouse if we were to walk out of a thoroughly abusive relationship. But it has to be good for us, for our sanity, our peace of mind. Don't tell me "it's fine, I accept the beatings because I love "her". By all means remember how happy "she"once made you but be clear that was then and "she" is now a thoroughly abusive lover and you need to get out for your own sanity, not keep throwing money at the bitch who keeps abusing you. Let someone else take your place now. I'm glad I did.
Great post. I have also wasted most of my life supporting this club. Mind you I have not seen a live game since 1968 but have not missed many games they have played since then - on the box. I wonder if Wenger will go before I snuff it ??. Hope so.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:52 am
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 am

In-fucking-deed.

You are taking the piss surely ?? :shock: :shock:
Sadly not Augie -

https://www.balls.ie/football/watch-eve ... day-384048

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think we could stand a chance in the week, provided they don't get a goal kick.