Shit team v good team H Thurs 1 March

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: Shit team v good team H Thurs 1 March

Post by Nos89 »

NickF wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:41 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm
Tickets on general sale. Could be a few empty seats for this one. Nobody wants to be shafted twice in a week.
Except my ex she couldn't get enough
She didn't go on a holiday to Ibiza did she? Think there mayne a thread about it. :)
Haha...very good :D

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

How can the club call this a Category "A" game when our side are Category "C"

Namely Caaaaaants!.... :cussing:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 pm
I don't know if anything will come of it but there is huge speculation in every quarter of the press that Wenger will finish at the end of this season. If he doesn't, the next one will be absolutely catastrophic.

On the plus side for him everyone is expecting us to lose on Thursday so if he gets anything, there will be the "you can never count him out, "not finished yet" etc,etc chants ringing out everywhere.

Brilliant article....well worth reading ..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... of-winning
No mate. this season is catastrophic..should he stay then next season will be "Carnage" never ever witnessed before in footballdom.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm
NickF wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:41 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:00 pm
Tickets on general sale. Could be a few empty seats for this one. Nobody wants to be shafted twice in a week.
Except my ex she couldn't get enough
She didn't go on a holiday to Ibiza did she? Think there mayne a thread about it. :)
Haha...very good :D
No maybe's about it mate ..and it is Gooood! :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 pm
I don't know if anything will come of it but there is huge speculation in every quarter of the press that Wenger will finish at the end of this season. If he doesn't, the next one will be absolutely catastrophic.

On the plus side for him everyone is expecting us to lose on Thursday so if he gets anything, there will be the "you can never count him out, "not finished yet" etc,etc chants ringing out everywhere.

Brilliant article....well worth reading ..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... of-winning
for Anyone who can't open the link in work etc

An odd thing happened at Wembley as Manchester City’s players celebrated their EFL Cup final win at the final whistle. Turning away from the gleeful blue hordes in one half of the stadium it took a slight moment of double-take to register that the block of silent red at the other end was not flags or shirts but empty plastic seats.

Basically, the Arsenal fans had gone – a tribute to the efficient exit routes of modern stadium design but also deeply unusual in domestic cup finals, where losing supporters invariably stay to applaud a winning run to this stage.

Arsenal’s problem was not Wenger’s gameplan but Mustafi’s feebleness
Read more
But then, this is Arsenal 2018, the strangest and most disorientingly deathly footballing entity English football has produced in the modern age. Arsenal, and what to do about Arsenal: this seems to require some other weapon, a range of emotional response beyond the usual speed‑dial of blame the players, get the chequebook out or even the perennial favourite of sacking the manager, which has once again been trotted out as a catch-all dose of medicine.

Not that Arsenal should not sack Arsène Wenger. Probably they should sack him twice to make sure. Or best of all go back in time and sack him two years ago, bring him and sack him again now just to make the point. Arsenal’s manager has clearly run his race at this club. But he is also in his own way simply a component part, a willing bystander to an entropy that exists outside and beyond just a string of managerial wrong turns.

Oh, Arsène. It wasn’t meant to be this way. The worst is not – so long as we can say: “This is the worst.” Of all the Shakespearian characters from which to draw strength Wenger appears these days to be taking his managerial example from King Lear’s Edgar, wandering the storm‑wracked heath surrounded by blind and stumbling retainers, consoling himself that so long as he can keep pondering his own misery then his misery hasn’t quite bottomed out yet, that there are other depths still left to plumb.

In reality there are only three questions left in the Wenger endgame. When will this all end? Why, exactly, does it seem quite so howlingly bad? And more ominously: will Wenger’s departure actually change things for the better?

It is the second point here, the degree of agony around an otherwise healthy football club that is the immediate note of interest. Has there ever been a cup final where the losers are so instantly and unequivocally the story? Why are we confronted each week with the spectacle of Arsenal fans writhing and howling and chafing? Why is Gary Neville quite so upset by the sight of talented footballers losing to slightly more talented footballers?

Again, this anguish comes back to that strangeness, the sense of a team and a club who seem complicit in their own defeat, who are suffering above all from an inner shrinking, to have become more machine than man.

Sigmund Freud defined the basis of all horror as an uncertainty as to whether something is alive or dead. And this is surely the fascination with Arsenal, whose players look and act and occasionally even play like elite footballers, a club with a wonderful stadium and a revered manager. But which still seems strangely zombified, lacking some vital element of life, that desperation to succeed and spread joy, the obligation to be brutally in love with the idea of winning.

Jack Wilshere at least looks offended by the idea of defeat, pounding the Wembley turf like an angry centaur
This is another kind of place now, a club whose players, business model and touchline CEO reflect instead the priorities of the City institutions the Emirates Stadium mimics in its glass and steel architecture; places that are designed to make money while deflecting blame and accountability, where the bottom line is the only line, where short-term economic stability is all. Which is all fine in itself – but it’s not football.

Hence a degree of angst that seems out of kilter with simply losing a cup final or slipping from fourth to sixth. Something is profoundly wrong with this spectacle. Is there a more infuriatingly underexplored high‑end midfield talent in Britain than Aaron Ramsey? Granit Xhaka would be an odd presence in any Premier League midfield, a paradox of a player who can look absolutely miles off the pace one moment and only a few miles off the pace the next. What is he doing playing for the seventh richest club in the world?

The sense of disjunct, of a group of players sleepwalking through their own well-remunerated mediocrity, perhaps explains the warmth for Jack Wilshere, who at least looks as though he is offended by the idea of defeat and who chugged about Wembley with spiky energy, bandy legs pounding the grass like an angry centaur.

Otherwise there is just fuzziness, a lack of attention to detail. In the first half at Wembley, Arsenal won a free-kick in a promising area in which two left-footed players, Mesut Özil and Xhaka, hovered over the ball in exactly the same spot, an utterly pointless piece of non-misdirection. Eventually Xhaka, whose left foot is to Özil’s as a rusty hacksaw blade is to a scalpel, clunked the ball out for a goal kick. On the bench nobody even looked cross.

Arsenal’s decade-long capitulation and Pardew on the brink – Football Weekly
It is a vagueness that seems to have entered the structure of the place, from signings to training, to retention of a coaching team that is quite clearly no longer functioning at the cutting edge.

Last week it emerged that Josh Kroenke – the son of the majority shareholder, Stan – is spending three months in London to “immerse himself in all things Arsenal” and drill down into how the club is run. Yes, the mind does boggle. Kroenke Jr would surely be better served studying someone else, perhaps immersing himself in the way Manchester City have at vast expense bolted on the most successful managerial, recruitment and academy facilities available.

In the meantime, calls for Wenger to step aside will grow ever louder. But this almost feels like a subplot at this stage. Every month Wenger has stayed in the job past the last Champions League season has lessened its appeal to his successors, has made the task of reconstruction more profound. The fan‑TV horror, the anguish of Neville may seem comical at times. But there is perhaps something prophetic in these squawkings, harbingers of a collapse that has yet to come, of an oddly creepy hollowing out of the spirit, the extent of which may only become clear in time.

#WENGEROUT

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Beast from the East may come to Wenger's rescue even if it is short term...There has to be a good chance that this game will be postponed on safety grounds..Apparently it is already provisionally rescheduled for March 17th or 18th as neither club have FA Cup involvement that weekend..

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:20 am
Beast from the East may come to Wenger's rescue even if it is short term...There has to be a good chance that this game will be postponed on safety grounds..Apparently it is already provisionally rescheduled for March 17th or 18th as neither club have FA Cup involvement that weekend..
A pity it couldn’t be rescheduled for that weekend in the first place - got enough bloody games on Thursday nights as it is!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... at-arsenal

So typical of the man...Humble & self sacrificing. "My job is to get the team ready for Thursday".........And therein lies the problem.

NickF

Post by NickF »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 am

So typical of the man...Humble & self sacrificing. "My job is to get the team ready for Thursday".........And therein lies the problem.
Also,

"I am here for 21 years and turned the world down to respect my contract." :roll:

But my favourite is:

"It looks like we lost against a team in Division Five, we lost against a team that dominates English football at the moment. We have to take a bit of perspective."

No Wenger, we lost to the division five team last Thursday :banghead:

JoshIM2150

Post by JoshIM2150 »

Surely Arsenal are favourites after having the weekend off and City playing in a final...

In other news - It looks like Garry Neville will be on commentary for this game too
https://twitter.com/GNev2/status/968611 ... 87201?s=09

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:

After Sunday's pathetic display, this team shouldn't need someone to get them ready, a bit of professional pride should get themselves motivated.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

NickF wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am
xisstential wrote:

Also,

"I am here for 21 years and turned the world down to respect my contract." :roll:

But my favourite is:

"It looks like we lost against a team in Division Five, we lost against a team that dominates English football at the moment. We have to take a bit of perspective."

Every now and again you see him looking haggard and beat to hell and feel a twinge of sympathy. Then he goes off, regroups, then comes back as his usual arrogant, you cannot tell me attitude.

Let the misery and the defeats intensify, he has brought it on himself.

And as for the business of who we lost to....there it is again, the defeats in isolation. If the journo's had any balls they would mention that his team lost to Stoke, Bournemouth, Watford & Swansea as well.....

There's your division 5

beck

Post by beck »

NickF wrote:
xisstential wrote:

Also,

But my favourite is:

ostersunds would be a relegation zone championship team
We beat 2 league 5 teams last season on the way to winning the fa cup

beck

Post by beck »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm
NickF wrote:
xisstential wrote:

Also,

But my favourite is:

Every now and again you see him looking haggard and beat to hell and feel a twinge of sympathy. Then he goes off, regroups, then comes back as his usual arrogant, you cannot tell me attitude.

Let the misery and the defeats intensify, he has brought it on himself.

And as for the business of who we lost to....there it is again, the defeats in isolation. If the journo's had any balls they would mention that his team lost to Stoke, Bournemouth, Watford & Swansea as well.....

There's your division 5
How so?
Watford beat Chelsea 4-1
Bournemouth won 3-0 at Chelsea
Swansea beat Liverpool
All premier league fixtures

NickF

Post by NickF »

xisstential wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Every now and again you see him looking haggard and beat to hell and feel a twinge of sympathy.
I can honestly say I have never felt that. Everything he has done he has been handsomely rewarded for.
He has had many opportunities to walk away with his head held high but has chosen to stay and inflict more misery on us. :twisted: