THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by augie »

One of the papers this morning (I think it is the mirror) are reporting that the players and board have lost confidence in wenker and his tactics - the poor mites are also unhappy that the training in the build up to the final was too intensive :roll: I would love simeone or someone like him to come in as manager and grab these c.unts by the neck and tell them that their life on easy street in now officially over :evil:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I am sick of hearing about things being reviewed at the end of the season.

He needs to go NOW

augie

Post by augie »

I am a guy that was a big fan of arteta (right to the end of his time with us) but being honest I dont see where the love for him to return as manager or assistant manager is coming from :? Do we believe that he is an integral part of how citeeh play and how much success they are having ? Pep has achieved success with this system long before arteta was his number 2, so how has arteta shown that he should be considered for the managers position when the french c.unt fcuks off ? He would be down my list of choices if I'm honest

Likewise jardim wouldnt be anywhere near the top of my list either - I know that he has done a good job in monaco, but it is the french league ffs. Does him winning the french league equal the achievement of leicester winning the premier league, and if so why dont we go for ranieri ? (obviously I'm not serious about that). Somewhat racist I know, but personally I wouldnt even consider a french manager unless they had previously played for us, or for someone else in premier league - maybe I am so fcuked off with all things wenker, that the prospect of hiring another french manager worries me. I know that I dont have an awful lot of knowledge about the guy, but he seems quiet and reserved, and the last thing we need is another softly spoken guy managing these wimpy c.unts

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

"It was a tight game until 2-0. City had three shots on target and we had two".
Guess who said that, lol.

All this talk of managerial replacements, everyone seems to be missing an important element.
The moment when any potential candidate sits down with his agent and is asked what he wants in terms of salary, and funds to improve the squad.
Candidate - I will accept £10m per annum, and £150m to get the team in a position to aim for the title.
AFC - We can offer you £12m per annum, and £75m to get us top 4.
There lies the problem.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

augie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:21 am
I am a guy that was a big fan of arteta (right to the end of his time with us) but being honest I dont see where the love for him to return as manager or assistant manager is coming from :? Do we believe that he is an integral part of how citeeh play and how much success they are having ? Pep has achieved success with this system long before arteta was his number 2, so how has arteta shown that he should be considered for the managers position when the french c.unt fcuks off ? He would be down my list of choices if I'm honest

Likewise jardim wouldnt be anywhere near the top of my list either - I know that he has done a good job in monaco, but it is the french league ffs. Does him winning the french league equal the achievement of leicester winning the premier league, and if so why dont we go for ranieri ? (obviously I'm not serious about that). Somewhat racist I know, but personally I wouldnt even consider a french manager unless they had previously played for us, or for someone else in premier league - maybe I am so fcuked off with all things wenker, that the prospect of hiring another french manager worries me. I know that I dont have an awful lot of knowledge about the guy, but he seems quiet and reserved, and the last thing we need is another softly spoken guy managing these wimpy c.unts
Agreed about Arteta, but I'd take Jardim in a heartbeat (in fact, he'd be my first choice). He's tactical and unlike Wenger, can develop youth. Here is very good article about him here -

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/19/ ... do-jardim/

(btw - he's Portuguese)

Wenger will be the next England manager after Southgate tanks this summer.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Whoever takes over we have to rebuild in stages but above all else we need to start with the goalkeeper and defence.
I want to be proud of our defence again and see some quality in that area that's been long forgotten. Midfield and attack can wait just get us defending well.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

augie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 pm
arrgee wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:02 pm
beck wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 am
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am
I think every Arsenal fan is now saying what was the point in moving to the Emirates. We had a much better team at Highbury and all the reasons we moved in the first place have been forgotten.
I ain't
I'm glad we moved to the Emirates
We had outgrown Highbury and moved to a bigger stadium in our heartland
The problem is Wenger
Not having a contingency plan 10 years ago is the problem
When it became clear in October 2011 that Wenger was unable to improve
Ever since Kronke took control in April 2011 the reasons for moving have been forgotten. Whereas it may well have been the intention to challenge for the European Cup with the bigger stadium back in 2006, that ambition was replaced with the more pragmatic let's make lots of money. Selling Fabregas was the proof of that along with the subsequent 2-8 at Old Toilet and the bargain basement rush on the last day of the transfer window. Wenger would have gone at that point if the owner had serious ambition.

Even when they had a glimmer of hope of winning the league in 2016, only Elneny joined in the January transfer window.

I would class myself as fairly tuned in when talking about the negative effect poor performances and half empty stadium will have on the club, but tbh I can never understand the argument that kroenke is making money from the club as it is - dont get me wrong cos I too feel that he is an absolute cancer in our club, but how or where is he making money ? :? The £3m consultancy fee thing seems to have stopped, and he wont pay dividends from the club to himself cos he would then have to pay usmanov, so surely he cant be making money in the here and now ? My reading of the situation is that continued profits will boost the share prices, but again he can only make money that way if he actually sells - if I'm right on that then he is either playing the long game hoping that usmanov will get pissed off and sell up, or he is building up the share price with a long term plan to sell in future

I could be reading that situation way wrong, and if so please people point out where I am wrong in my thinking
I think our share price keeps increasing and without having to spend much in every window he is just increasing on his investment.
I honestly have no idea how much we are generating and how rich we are. I don't know where Arsenals money goes.
I'm sure we have made a lot since the Emirates was built but where it goes is a mystery.

NickF

Post by NickF »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 pm

I think our share price keeps increasing and without having to spend much in every window he is just increasing on his investment.
I honestly have no idea how much we are generating and how rich we are. I don't know where Arsenals money goes.
I'm sure we have made a lot since the Emirates was built but where it goes is a mystery.
How is our share price increasing if there are almost none available to trade?
Isn't share price purely based on what someone (Kroenke/Usmanov) are willing to pay for the very few shares left?
So how we actually perform on and off the field is largely irrelevant.

augie

Post by augie »

NickF wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:42 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 pm

How is our share price increasing if there are almost none available to trade?
Isn't share price purely based on what someone (Kroenke/Usmanov) are willing to pay for the very few shares left?
So how we actually perform on and off the field is largely irrelevant.

No so - a successful club both on and off the pitch will obviously increase the value of the asset (ie the club) and the share prices. However I am still at the point that, to actually financially get the windfall from the financial rich club, kroenke would have to actually sell up his shares and sadly that doesnt seem to be happening anytime soon :cry: :cry: :censored: :censored:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It all depends on whether Arsenal Holdings is being used as collateral for KSE's other projects . I am not an accountant or have any financial work experience in such fields but perhaps funds are kept back as sureity elsewhere.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Genuine question: honest answers would be appreciated.

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Genuine question: honest answers would be appreciated.

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

That was the point I was making earlier 8)

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

The fact that Pep seemed very keen to enlist his services must mean something.
Not my first choice although as mentioned on other threads i would have anyone rather than Wenger. Change ,any change is what is needed now

Midz

Post by Midz »

Max Allegri please

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

ideally i would like to see Simeone come in at the end of the season and shake the whole place up.
his team have just won their 8th game in a row,