THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Genuine question: honest answers would be appreciated.

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

That was the point I was making earlier 8)
George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.

IrishJB

Re: Sign and tell all your Gunner mates

Post by IrishJB »

I know loads of us have been feeling this way for some time, but generally speaking us Gooners do little when change needs to happen.

There’s been a few (appeals) started which haven’t really taken off, I’m hoping this one will!

Sign the Petition:

https://www.change.org/p/arsenal-suppor ... responsive

This is THE ONE guys and gals !

Sign up for a change to happen at our beloved Club. Pls Sign and RT on your Twitter, Facebook everywhere you can ....

B wishes and fingers crossed .....

JB

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 am
We've lost three games within seven days. :lol: :lol:
What we left Highbury for :barscarf:
If we somehow win at brighton (or even draw) it'll be airbrushed into the history books though..

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 am
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 am
We've lost three games within seven days. :lol: :lol:
What we left Highbury for :barscarf:
If we somehow win at brighton (or even draw) it'll be airbrushed into the history books though..
We won't win at Brighton.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

IrishJB wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 am
I know loads of us have been feeling this way for some time, but generally speaking us Gooners do little when change needs to happen.

There’s been a few (appeals) started which haven’t really taken off, I’m hoping this one will!

Sign the Petition:

Sign up for a change to happen at our beloved Club. Pls Sign and RT on your Twitter, Facebook everywhere you can ....

JB
Done.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

As a young child I remember seeing a picture of Jheronimus Bosch's "Harrowing Hell" and thought how 'Horrible'....and yet now we Gooner's have our very own version of Hell and it has been going on for 10 Seasons (proper) now....

This is the modern day Gooner version of that Harrowing Hell. :cry:

Paulio

Post by Paulio »

I cant see where the next win is coming from.

Are there any serious wenger in supporters left at this stage?

Naming any thing after wenger when he eventually does go would be a serious insult

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I turned down Real Madrid in 2002 so how dare you question me in 2018.

The ramblings of an absolute fucking psychopath :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 am
augie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Genuine question: honest answers would be appreciated.

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

That was the point I was making earlier 8)
George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.

George Graham ticked two boxes which made it easier to appoint him -

1. He was a former player that was a part of the 71 double winning side, plus he was popular with the fans
2. And this is the crucial point, he had managerial experience before he came to us - he had taken over a club that was going nowhere (millwall) and turned them into a side that won promotion from division 3 and were promoted as champions from division 2 a few months after he left. He also had the bonus of an assistant manager that had captained The Arsenal 71 double winning side, joining him when he became our manager 8)

Comparing arteta to GG is like comparing apples to oranges - arteta had only been with us for a few seasons and had spent much of the last few seasons in the injury room. He hadnt been a part of a successful era for the club either

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 am
I turned down Real Madrid in 2002 so how dare you question me in 2018.

The ramblings of an absolute fucking psychopath :roll:

Next question should have been " Arsene I ,if you had gone to Real Madrid in 2002 how long would you have lasted there without winning the Champions League ?"

NickF

Post by NickF »

IrishJB wrote:

Sign the Petition:

JB
Genuine question what do you hope to achieve with this petition? This seems to be the modern answer - don't like something I will setup a petition - that will scare them.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

When he does go (worst case scenario 14 months, likelier now 2 months) I worry that the club will spin it with all sorts of acolades and tributes about his achievements and legacy.

For many, even those who have been calling for a change, there will be so much relief that the nightmare has come to an end that they wouldn't care about that. Well I would care, very deeply. I would be more angry that they have spun the disgraceful damage that his self-indulgence has done than I would be relieved that he has gone at last. The club would be sending out a signal that they have learned nothing, understood nothing, and therefore whatever follows will be a false dawn.

He has to be sacked, with only a cursory thanks for his service. Anything else would be disgusting.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 am
IrishJB wrote:

Sign the Petition:

JB
Genuine question what do you hope to achieve with this petition? This seems to be the modern answer - don't like something I will setup a petition - that will scare them.
I think the standard response from the club for something like this is “thank you for showing an interest in our affairs”

Wake up we are dealing with Kroenke here - he will laugh at petitions.

By the way Kroenke won’t have seen the empty seats last night, he will only be aware that 58,000 mugs bought a ticket for the match. Until this changes then Wenger will continue to dismiss talk of him leaving the club.

General

Post by General »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:18 pm
If Arsenal honours this man in any way, shape or form when he eventually goes I promise I will finish supporting them, whoever takes over.

Not said in the heat of the moment: my love for the club is already hanging by a thread based on great memories of what once was. I know deep down it has probably gone for ever But I still have a flicker of hope that I can take an interest in it again one day.

Anything but a sacking with no honour will confirm the club will never be something I would feel I belong to or even care about again.
It's inevitable that he would get honoured and I can live with that as long as he goes this summer. I'm more concerned about the risk of him stinking out the place for another season than any potential farewell. He has to attain CL football to improve his chances of staying as the hole left by lack of revenue was clear from the rhetoric by Keswick in our recent financial statements even if they've offset the losses with player sales.

His own selfishness means any proposed grand farewell is likely to end in a damp squib as he'd stretch out the season in the hope of getting back in the CL thus delaying the inevitable. Assuming we don't progress in the Europa Cup there are few opportunities for a massive sending off anyway. Our last league game is away and we play Burnley before that.

I think the man genuinely feels like he's done us a favour and it's largely borne out of the low target he was set when moved into the stadium which he feels he's exceeded. He didn't do the end of season parade last season and I won't be surprised if he declines any invitation to take part in a farewell probably speaking in front of an almost empty stadium filled with AKB nutjobs. He won't get what Fergie had. This is a fully blown political dictatorship being played out in a sporting setting.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am

I think the standard response from the club for something like this is “thank you for showing an interest in our affairs”

Wake up we are dealing with Kroenke here - he will laugh at petitions.

By the way Kroenke won’t have seen the empty seats last night, he will only be aware that 58,000 mugs bought a ticket for the match. Until this changes then Wenger will continue to dismiss talk of him leaving the club.
Careful now, your use of the term 'mugs' may upset some people, I agree though - if you still go to watch Arsenal all you are doing is making KSE inc. richer and more likely to stick around stinking the place out, with or without Wenger, this is why I stopped going in 2015, I'm annoyed with myself for not stopping sooner but why anyone would still want to finance this corrupt regime is beyond my comprehension.

In a way I hope Wenger stays, as previously explained he will likely damage Kroenke's investment and without a new manager I wont feel inclined to show an interest next season, allowing me better things to do with my time, which is pretty much anything these days.

Arsenal are a dead club, a sleeping giant, wake me up when the regime is gone, Wenger is just the beginning of that.