THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
markyp

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by markyp »

Last night's piss poor attendance made me realise we have tried all be it limp dicked to hound Wenger out but now Wenger has succeeded in hounding out the crowd! The weather last night in reality has little to do with it, we had empty seats against Liverpool and Chelsea, goes to show that Wenger really does think Arsenal is his own little play thing
Last edited by markyp on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beck

Post by beck »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 am
augie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Genuine question: honest answers would be appreciated.

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

That was the point I was making earlier 8)
George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.
You do realise george graham played in the arsenal team that won the fairs cup scoring v glentoren( 2)
Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
And was a member of our 70/71 double winning side
Scoring in draws at Everton and Newcastle and home win wolves
Plus a goal in the semi final replay v Stoke and a hand in Eddie Kelly's equaliser in the Liverpool fa cup final
He is certainly a legend in my eyes

augie

Re: Sign and tell all your Gunner mates

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:41 am
NickF wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:17 am
IrishJB wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 am
I know loads of us have been feeling this way for some time, but generally speaking us Gooners do little when change needs to happen.

There’s been a few (appeals) started which haven’t really taken off, I’m hoping this one will!

Sign the Petition:

https://www.change.org/p/arsenal-suppor ... responsive

This is THE ONE guys and gals !

Sign up for a change to happen at our beloved Club. Pls Sign and RT on your Twitter, Facebook everywhere you can ....

B wishes and fingers crossed .....

JB
Genuine question what do you hope to achieve with this petition? This seems to be the modern answer - don't like something I will setup a petition - that will scare them.
I think the standard response from the club for something like this is “thank you for showing an interest in our affairs”

Wake up we are dealing with Kroenke here - he will laugh at petitions.

By the way Kroenke won’t have seen the empty seats last night, he will only be aware that 58,000 mugs bought a ticket for the match. Until this changes then Wenger will continue to dismiss talk of him leaving the club.

Dont agree at all - last night the pundits were all talking about the empty seats and NO-ONE mentioned that it doesnt matter cos all the tickets had been sold. In todays world image is everything, and a half empty stadium doesnt look at all good - even rat faced neville said that there is no way that people can use the weather as an excuse for the empty seats, and that was a point that was echoed by henry afterwards.
The AFC brand is suffering and kroenke junior will be telling daddy that for sure

shu

Post by shu »

Deffo a few missed last night due to the weather but also from the fact that they didn’t want to go and watch the obvious defeat.
The next home game will give us a better idea. If the crowd turn vocally on him I think he will leave but if not he won’t .

blair207

Post by blair207 »

The attendance was a product of the shocking state we are in. If we had been 4 points behind City you would not have been able to get a ticket the weather wouldn’t have mattered. The low attendance affects all the other sources of match day revenue. The club will have taken a big hit last night, that was one of our biggest home games of the season. If the fans have the gumption to vote with their feet he’ll be gone in a month make no mistake. There is no vast army of tourists desperate to watch the rubbish being served up. Apart from the Europa there are no meaningful fixtures left this season. We are watching a regime in it death throes.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

You cannot pay people to watch Arsenal!
Those season ticket holders must be on TX every other week!

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

beck wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.
You do realise george graham played in the arsenal team that won the fairs cup scoring v glentoren( 2)
Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
Plus a goal in the semi final replay v Stoke and a hand in Eddie Kelly's equaliser in the Liverpool fa cup final
Scoring in a 4-0 win over Tottenham on his Wedding Day in 1967 was pretty legendary too.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:

George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend
:shock: :shock: :shock:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

NickF wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm
Nos89 wrote:

George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Being a raging thief doesn't help his cause tbh or going to manage the spuds. Perhaps we could send Wenger their way.

:D :D :D :D

beck

Post by beck »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:16 pm
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
Scoring in a 4-0 win over Tottenham on his Wedding Day in 1967 was pretty legendary too.
That game was a bit before my match going time
Terry venables was his best man
In the old days players could kick lumps out of each other
Maybe even have a punch up
But could still be mates off the pitch
So much better than this virtue signalling kissing the badge
I really really hate the popular people's front type bollocks that they think the fans want to hear
Show us
Don't tell us

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
yeah me too....Stroller...anyone remember the goal at Palace a 1-2 then a volley...was it 4-0?
Top class he was......

MrT

Post by MrT »

david m
‏@davemagar

BREAKING NEWS--Lord Harris offered his resignation to the board this morning which has been turned down. He's clearly fed up with the situation albeit the Board have asked him to reconsider and to give them time.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
yeah me too....Stroller...anyone remember the goal at Palace a 1-2 then a volley...was it 4-0?
Top class he was......
I remember him scoring a looping header at Palace. He was a stellar header of the ball.....he powered one past Gordon Banks from the edge of the box in the 71 semi-final replay at Villa Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLpqFBpP8Pg

The 1-2 and volley I remember best was at home to Liverpool, earlier in the double season.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

MrT wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm
david m
‏@davemagar

BREAKING NEWS--Lord Harris offered his resignation to the board this morning which has been turned down. He's clearly fed up with the situation albeit the Board have asked him to reconsider and to give them time.
Ah, so it was all LordHarris of Peckhams fault, hopefully after getting shot of him we will be world conquerors once again :rubchin:

MrT

Post by MrT »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm
MrT wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:18 pm
david m
‏@davemagar

Ah, so it was all LordHarris of Peckhams fault, hopefully after getting shot of him we will be world conquerors once again :rubchin:
All is not rosy in the boardroom.

Lost the dressing room too