THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Blade

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Blade »

Cascarino talks about the secret meeting like it was the first.

It's happened before -to no effect!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

beck wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 am
augie wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:01 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:26 pm
Genuine question: honest answers would be appreciated.

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

That was the point I was making earlier 8)
George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.
You do realise george graham played in the arsenal team that won the fairs cup scoring v glentoren( 2)
Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
And was a member of our 70/71 double winning side
Scoring in draws at Everton and Newcastle and home win wolves
Plus a goal in the semi final replay v Stoke and a hand in Eddie Kelly's equaliser in the Liverpool fa cup final
He is certainly a legend in my eyes
I'm well aware of the history. He wasn't so much as a Legend back in 1986. He doesn't even make the top 50 Arsenal player list. I do remember how underwhelmed Arsenal supporters were at his appointment after being promised Alex Ferguson, Terry Venables or Johann Cryuff. As a player Theo Walcott will be more of a legend then Graham ever was.

augie

Post by augie »

Was working until a few minutes ago so I missed the first couple of hours of soccer saturday on sky .......... was there much said about the shambles at our club and wenkers future ? If so is it possible to load the clip on here, or is there anywhere I can see or hear it ?

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

If Arteta had not been a former player (decent for a year or two, but a long way from being a legend), what would the reaction be to any suggestion that he be our next manager? Is 18 months as Pep's assistant evidence that he can rise to the challenge that will face whoever takes over this shambles?

George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.
You do realise george graham played in the arsenal team that won the fairs cup scoring v glentoren( 2)
Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
Plus a goal in the semi final replay v Stoke and a hand in Eddie Kelly's equaliser in the Liverpool fa cup final
I'm well aware of the history. He wasn't so much as a Legend back in 1986. He doesn't even make the top 50 Arsenal player list. I do remember how underwhelmed Arsenal supporters were at his appointment after being promised Alex Ferguson, Terry Venables or Johann Cryuff. :D As a player Theo Walcott will be more of a legend then Graham ever was.
:D Stop it you mad bastard.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Nos89 wrote:
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
I'm well aware of the history. He wasn't so much as a Legend back in 1986. He doesn't even make the top 50 Arsenal player list. I do remember how underwhelmed Arsenal supporters were at his appointment after being promised Alex Ferguson, Terry Venables or Johann Cryuff. As a player Theo Walcott will be more of a legend then Graham ever was.
:lol: :lol:

Brilliant 🙄

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
I understand what you are saying - Graham was a part of the double team, but not a key player in the way McLintock, Charlie, Kennedy, Radford Armstrong were. Yet he is part of Arsenal history of winning a European trophy.

Walcott has scored more goals, made more appearances (I’m assuming) but was never, ever a key member of the team - he was on the bench most of the last 2 years and didn’t get to hold the league title or a European trophy.

The only “legend” that I can think of that has won neither with us, would be Chippy Brady, who was influential in a way Walcott and Graham were not ( Fabregas would be the closest comparison as he was the teams heartbeat for several seasons)

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

This man puts it far more eloquently than myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzwEG4csFI

:twisted:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 pm

:? :wink:

Is that Herd's mate? - I don't think he likes AFTV... Did anyone else notice the 'burp' @ 2'13" ? :shock: :D

Anyway.... Football Focus (saturday 3/3/18).. it would seem at last even the pundits have seen the light of the Dark Side :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43272578

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 pm

:barscarf: Legendary old school, don't give the criminals any of your cash! :barscarf:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Nos89 wrote:
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
As a player Theo Walcott will be more of a legend then Graham ever was.
:redcard:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

For me Graham will always be ahead of Wenger in the list of great managers as two of Wenger's 3 titles was won with Graham's defence. If only they weren't a bunch of pissheads they'd have won more league titles in the 1990's.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:19 pm
For me Graham will always be ahead of Wenger in the list of great managers as two of Wenger's 3 titles was won with Graham's defence. If only they weren't a bunch of pissheads they'd have won more league titles in the 1990's.
I think his acheievemt in ending the bin dippers' period of success has never been given the credit it deserves. Nobody had really come out of the pack and challenged them for nearly 20 years and he finished them off. Fergie had a lot to thank him for and if the club had greater commercial awareness and George hasn't become obsessed with Europe, I think we could have dominated the early 90s. Oh well, another Arsenal could have been story...

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:43 pm
Nos89 wrote:
I think his acheievemt in ending the bin dippers' period of success has never been given the credit it deserves. Nobody had really come out of the pack and challenged them for nearly 20 years and he finished them off. Fergie had a lot to thank him for and if the club had greater commercial awareness and George hasn't become obsessed with Europe, I think we could have dominated the early 90s. Oh well, another Arsenal could have been story...
I'd go as far as saying if there was not a European club ban, Graham would've learnt from 89/90 season competition we didnt play in because of the ban and we would have won the European Cup in '92.
We got knocked out in '92 and won the next European competition we entered in '94.
Also, had Wenger gone in 2011, I wouldn't have been too adverse in bringing Graham back on short term basis, like Liverpool brought back Dalglish, the last Liverpool manager to win a trophy, and a league title.
Last edited by Nos89 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:09 pm
Nos89 wrote:
beck wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:

Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
I understand what you are saying - Graham was a part of the double team, but not a key player in the way McLintock, Charlie, Kennedy, Radford Armstrong were. Yet he is part of Arsenal history of winning a European trophy.

Walcott has scored more goals, made more appearances (I’m assuming) but was never, ever a key member of the team - he was on the bench most of the last 2 years and didn’t get to hold the league title or a European trophy.

The only “legend” that I can think of that has won neither with us, would be Chippy Brady, who was influential in a way Walcott and Graham were not ( Fabregas would be the closest comparison as he was the teams heartbeat for several seasons)
I would take issue with this. The great thing about the Arsenal 71 double-winning team is that there were no stars: every single one of the 12 regular players (those that played in the final, including Eddie Kelly) played a pivotal part in the success. I have heard Frank McLintock make that very point. Had Graham been a 'fringe' player, like John Roberts or Jon Sammels, I would agree with you. But to say he was not a key player is to completely misunderstand the nature of that amazing side. He cemented his place at Sammels's expense early in the season, and never looked back.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:43 pm
Nos89 wrote:
I find it unbelievable that GG is being sold as not an Arsenal legend,ffs that is laughable,i don't really know what to add apart from is nobody safe in this place?ive seen it all here now, from henry is a brown nose mercenary to Paul Merson was bang average,now GG isn't a legend,really you lot should hear yourselves sometimes