THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herts roofer

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Herts roofer »

Good post @markyp :box:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:09 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 pm
beck wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 am

George Graham wasn't exactly an Arsenal legend but he didn't do too bad. He was also the total opposite as a manager then his reputation as a player.
Jardim has done a fantastic job at Monaco. They sold all his best players and are still second in ligue 1. I can see why the arsenal board find him an attractive proposition.
I think we need an experienced manager, whose reputation is equal or greater than Wenger (Ancellotti) in the short term to stabilise a team currently in free fall.
Then appoint a Vieira, Arteta, Henry after they've had some actual experience of managing a club. Putting any of these in charge as a first appointment would be too big a risk. We haven't the calibre players of Real Madrid that made it easier for Zidane to be successful.
Guardiola did manage Barcelona B through 2 promotions I think before getting the Barcelona job. Working in the lower leagues of Spain.
You do realise george graham played in the arsenal team that won the fairs cup scoring v glentoren( 2)
Sporting Lisbon (2)
Dynamo bacau
And was a member of our 70/71 double winning side
Scoring in draws at Everton and Newcastle and home win wolves
Plus a goal in the semi final replay v Stoke and a hand in Eddie Kelly's equaliser in the Liverpool fa cup final
He is certainly a legend in my eyes
I'm well aware of the history. He wasn't so much as a Legend back in 1986. He doesn't even make the top 50 Arsenal player list. I do remember how underwhelmed Arsenal supporters were at his appointment after being promised Alex Ferguson, Terry Venables or Johann Cryuff. As a player Theo Walcott will be more of a legend then Graham ever was.
I understand what you are saying - Graham was a part of the double team, but not a key player in the way McLintock, Charlie, Kennedy, Radford Armstrong were. Yet he is part of Arsenal history of winning a European trophy.

Walcott has scored more goals, made more appearances (I’m assuming) but was never, ever a key member of the team - he was on the bench most of the last 2 years and didn’t get to hold the league title or a European trophy.

The only “legend” that I can think of that has won neither with us, would be Chippy Brady, who was influential in a way Walcott and Graham were not ( Fabregas would be the closest comparison as he was the teams heartbeat for several seasons)
I would take issue with this. The great thing about the Arsenal 71 double-winning team is that there were no stars: every single one of the 12 regular players (those that played in the final, including Eddie Kelly) played a pivotal part in the success. I have heard Frank McLintock make that very point. Had Graham been a 'fringe' player, like John Roberts or Jon Sammels, I would agree with you. But to say he was not a key player is to completely misunderstand the nature of that amazing side. He cemented his place at Sammels's expense early in the season, and never looked back.
Agreed Bob, lets get it right Graham as a player had a real touch of class....

But that double side had winners throughout......very underestimated was George Armstrong ...fuck me what a player he was...that defence....McLintock and Simpson.....that geyser Simpson was totally unflappable......Bob Wilson in goal as brave as fuck......

Clash

Post by Clash »

Before I was born sadly ... but the 1971 double is the best of them all. Football at its toughest and lots of good players and good teams around.

Oh and George Graham scored our equaliser in the 1971 final. ITV didnt prove otherwise with their behind the goal camera but almost everyone seems to have bought it. Watch it again from the main angle and you can see the ball picks up speed after Graham swung his foot at it so he definitely got a crucial touch :barscarf:

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Georgie Graham’s red and white army, how I used to love singing that song.Top player for the gunners and top manager who put the pride and steel into his teams.

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

George Graham ....brilliant manager....great player......Arsenal legend. Nearly as good as Walcott :banghead:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Oh dear, even Peter Hill-Wood has come out and stated Wenger has overstayed his welcome. That just about says it all. I cannot remember a Hill-Wood ever speaking out against an Arsenal manager.

Midz

Post by Midz »

How long are we gonna hear so n so said he's outstayed his welcome and then the next name says it's time for him to go before someone actually does something about it like sacking the *word censored*!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

The Sunday supplement just ripped into him.

Usually there would be one in his defence but not this time.

The host did say it’s feels wrong to talk about it when he’s still there but all other three totally disagreed

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:09 am

The host did say it’s feels wrong to talk about it when he’s still but al other three totally disagreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJ3u1THhM8

I disagree, yes they are saying he should go, but they aren't exactly tearing into him. That James Olly guy, sounds like he has spent the last 2 decades in Wenger's rectum, and is now coming up for air. How the media perceives him, and the reality of what a *word censored* he is, are as far removed from reality as our current league position, relative to the league leaders.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Strange thing after the City game, he kept the players in the changing room for half an hour telling them they are playing for their Arsenal Careers.

To me that sounds like. Wenger saying "Continue with this shit, i will be gone come May and a new manager will ship you all out'. Or start playing, win a few matches and I'll be here for another two years. So not only is your Arsenal career safe, but i'll get you a bumper pay deal". :banghead: :banghead:

Really what has Ozil done to warrant a pay rise and get £300k a week wage :banghead:

JimmyAFC

Post by JimmyAFC »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

The host did say it’s feels wrong to talk about it when he’s still but al other three totally disagreed

I disagree, yes they are saying he should go, but they aren't exactly tearing into him. That James Olly guy, sounds like he has spent the last 2 decades in Wenger's rectum, and is now coming up for air. How the media perceives him, and the reality of what a *word censored* he is, are as far removed from reality as our current league position, relative to the league leaders.
Made me sick watching that.

Typical out of touch sycophant journos with no actual clue how arrogant and egotistical this guy has been to the supporters for the past 10 years.

Biggest bunch of brown nosers you'll come across these journos.

Can't stand the way they perceive themselves as 'eloquent and classy' they have been by not tearing into him.

Fucking losers

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rosie_titters wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 am
Strange thing after the City game, he kept the players in the changing room for half an hour telling them they are playing for their Arsenal Careers.

To me that sounds like. Wenger saying "Continue with this shit, i will be gone come May and a new manager will ship you all out'. Or start playing, win a few matches and I'll be here for another two years. So not only is your Arsenal career safe, but i'll get you a bumper pay deal". :banghead: :banghead:

Really what has Ozil done to warrant a pay rise and get £300k a week wage :banghead:

That's because the extended CD of Tibetan Buddhist Chants was still playing and he didn't want to disrespect the monks.

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

It was ollie/oliver holt not james olly - holt has long been recognised as THE most ardent wenger defender in the media (I know many will point to cross, but tbf I dont think that many people really listen to what he says anyway :roll: ). He has continually criticised the Arsenal fans, and this morning went so far as to say that wenger has actually overachieved in recent years :shock: :shock:
I would really like to sit down and debate wenkers performance with someone like holt - he says we have overachieved when you look at the financial muscle of citeeh and the chavs, but he totally ignores the fact that the scum and the victims are streets ahead of us whilst spending less than us. He doesnt seem to recognise that losing to clubs like stoke, the swedish pub team, bournemouth etc, cannot be dismissed by financial power, and nobody mentions the fact that we were TEN points behind leicester when they won the league.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Absolutely agree JimmyAFC - Oliver Holt is a deluded fuckwit. This quote from his column today -

"I wish I had been right about Wenger. If you love football, you love what Wenger stands for and what he has achieved. If you love football, you hate seeing his team reduced to this. I wish I had been correct when I said he would still turn things around."

It has taken these wankers 8 years to catch up with the fact that AW cannot organise a team and refuses to take the art of defending remotely seriously. Look at the date this thread was justifiably started! Do they honestly think that because they write about this shit for a living that they know more about Arsenal or football than the paying fan. The prices we pay to watch the utter bollox that AW is capable of dishing up is so frequently ignored along with the fact that a lot of us, including the club itself, were here for years before the fucking idiots who are ruining our club now. I don't think that we have a god given right to win the league or finish top four but I do expect a well organised team giving 100% to the cause at a realistic ticket price. It's fair to say we have not been getting any of those three for a while.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43276699

Even David Seaman is coming up for air.