The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.

Remain or leave

Remain
37%
Leave
63%

Total votes: 81

A11M11

Re: The 'I told you so' EU referendum - Officially the Worst Thread Ever

Post by A11M11 »

I always thought that when he had his post in Hong Kong that he was one of the brightest stars and a potential leader of the Tory party. However it is time for people such as he to put their brains behind the situation that we are in.
Just continually looking to find facts and then preach their ideas is doing nobody any good.
The city and corporate business is important , sure it is , but there is a lot more to this country than the value of goods and chattels bought and sold just down the road from St Pauls . There are people that see their standards diminishing , that see their jobs disappearing and acknowledge that a lot of the blame rests on the shoulders of interfering policies like the Cap and Cfp .
For every Chris Patten there is a John Redwood for every argument one way there is another opposing .
The problem with people like Chris Patten is that they are still fighting the referendum. It's gone , over , dead , deceased.
Time to get on with our lives and make the best of where we are.

: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.” John F Kennedy.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Chris Pattern is hated and reviled in Hong Kong because of his lack of knowledge of the local politics ,and stupid blustering which didn't do the locals any favours and he ended up with lots of egg fried rice on his fat mouth !

Another Tory buffoon ,at least Portillo has made a decent living doing travel shows and modelling gay chinos since he quit politics !

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I think he was shuttled off to Hong Kong to get him ouit of the way but as for his being reviled I doubt that would have been reported here or perhaps I missed it.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Fella I have lived and worked in Asia and used to visit Hong Kong every 2 months in the 90's ,the local Cantonese thought he was an ignorant pig but the gin and tonic ex pats loved him .........at first !
As some Chinese say the only thing he did was pay for the firework party at the end !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:36 pm
I always thought that when he had his post in Hong Kong that he was one of the brightest stars and a potential leader of the Tory party. However it is time for people such as he to put their brains behind the situation that we are in.
Just continually looking to find facts and then preach their ideas is doing nobody any good.
The city and corporate business is important , sure it is , but there is a lot more to this country than the value of goods and chattels bought and sold just down the road from St Pauls . There are people that see their standards diminishing , that see their jobs disappearing and acknowledge that a lot of the blame rests on the shoulders of interfering policies like the Cap and Cfp .
For every Chris Patten there is a John Redwood for every argument one way there is another opposing .
The problem with people like Chris Patten is that they are still fighting the referendum. It's gone , over , dead , deceased.

: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country.” John F Kennedy.
The best thing we can all do for our country is to stop Brexit happening.
The referendum was only ever advisory and it has become apparent that it was all based on lies, not to mention very corrupt...
So no I don't think the referendum is dead at all.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:15 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:36 pm

The best thing we can all do for our country is to stop Brexit happening.
The referendum was only ever advisory and it has become apparent that it was all based on lies, not to mention very corrupt...
So no I don't think the referendum is dead at all.
Rob the corruption was there on both sides ,everything everyone said was a lie .
Ive always said Brexit isn't going to happen ,Ive said it from the start,I want it to happen but it won't !

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It may well be advisory in law , I haven't checked , but it was explicitly stated by any number of leading politicians Cameron , Osbourne,etc that leaving theeu meant leaving the single market and by association the other 3 main tenets of the union.
Furthermore he went on saying “If the British people vote to leave, there is only one way to bring that about, namely to trigger article 50 of the treaties and begin the process of exit, and the British people would rightly expect that to start straight away.”
He did not say that he would take the result under advice.
That is what he said prior to the vote and that is the understanding that the public voted on.
You can wriggle as much as you like but the terms were clear and understood.

However I agree with Herd , whatever happens now May will tie us in so close that we will not really notice the difference , we will give up the fish , join in with their army and intelligence forces, agree not to undercut French farmers keep accepting E.U nationals, continue to pay in for the bits they want us to keep. You need not worry it's not soft or hard it will be Brexit by name only.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Herd ,I bow to your knowledge, afterall you were there, I only know what I was told by the media and we all should know that we only get told what they want us to hear.
He was portrayed as the man that lost his seat but was too valuable to lose and was found a high profile role. Spin no doubt.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

You are, unfortunately, incredibly misinformed by the media. Still, Britain's had a good run. :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

And more lies from the government today.

Wakey wakey everyone!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Did I hear May say today that after we leave the EU there would be more money to invest into public services such as the NHS, because we won't be paying huge sums of money to the EU?
Wasn't that the £320m a week on the side of the leave campaign bus?
Strange, I could have sworn that the remainers told us this was a huge lie.
We sold out the fishing boundaries years ago, so no real news there. I still don't think much will change economically. All the big corporations have already set up secondary head offices in Belgium, France and the Netherlands as back up in case a deal is not agreed. It will effect jobs with an estimated 75,000 jobs at risk in the city. Given the tax avoidance schemes in place there isn't a way to estimate the loss in income tax.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 am
Did I hear May say today that after we leave the EU there would be more money to invest into public services such as the NHS, because we won't be paying huge sums of money to the EU?
We sold out the fishing boundaries years ago, so no real news there. I still don't think much will change economically. All the big corporations have already set up secondary head offices in Belgium, France and the Netherlands as back up in case a deal is not agreed. It will effect jobs with an estimated 75,000 jobs at risk in the city. Given the tax avoidance schemes in place there isn't a way to estimate the loss in income tax.
Still believing the lies ?
More fool you

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

“If you have to make a decision for the whole country, then find a solution for the whole country, not for old people in the countryside”

Jurgen Klopp

Brilliant ! :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 pm
Nos89 wrote:
More fool you
How can you call them lies, when no one has told the truth?

Reason, no one knows what's happening, let alone what's going to happen.

More fool you for passing judgement before anything has even happened.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:46 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 pm
Nos89 wrote:
More fool you
How can you call them lies, when no one has told the truth?

Reason, no one knows what's happening, let alone what's going to happen.

More fool you for passing judgement before anything has even happened.
ALL of the studies made about what is likely to happen following Brexit show that the UK will be worse off.
Name one thing that you think will make your life better off because of it.

you see I also know that Arsenal won't be challenging for the title next season, even though it hasn't started yet.
I wonder why that could be? :roll:

it really is depressing to see how many people are still so deluded about Brexit.