THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bob Bayliss

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 pm
We could and should have got Klopp three years ago. Not only does his team play infinitely more attractive football, but they now have a decent defence. Even if they don't win another Champions' League, they have shown the ambition to try. We can call them all the names under the sun, but I envy them.
Not that he wouldn't be a slight improvement on Wenger (who at this point wouldn't?) but I'm not sure where you get the idea they now have a decent defence? Of the top 6 clubs only we have conceded more goals. And that goal they conceded last night was indicative of their defensive standard. Their position in the table is down to out scoring teams because of the form of Salah.

The Mousers under Klopp are similar to us under Wenger
- inconsistent with moments of brilliance. For me Klopp would be a step sideways. But to be honest I'm so sick of everything Wenger I'd take almost anyone just to break the tedium of the last decade. :roll:
Sorry mate, but NO and NO! Klopp is light years ahead of Wenger as a manager in the modern era. It's like chalk and cheese.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Let's look at what changes need to happen. We need a new goalkeeper, we need to sell and replace Mustafi.
We need at least one central midfielder but possibly 2 to be honest.
I'm hearing that we have no money for the next transfer window and might sell Bellerin to get funds.
If that's true add a right back to the list. Regardless of our Europa League run this team can't defend and against the current top 4 we are miles behind.
If Kroenke doesn't care about Arsenal and won't release any money then our next manager whoever he is will have one hell of a job trying to fix this club.
I would love to know what's happening financially to us. After the players we sold we only spent 7 Million and suddenly we are skint.
Something is very wrong here

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:32 am
Let's look at what changes need to happen. We need a new goalkeeper, we need to sell and replace Mustafi.
I'm hearing that we have no money for the next transfer window and might sell Bellerin to get funds.
If that's true add a right back to the list. Regardless of our Europa League run this team can't defend and against the current top 4 we are miles behind.
If Kroenke doesn't care about Arsenal and won't release any money then our next manager whoever he is will have one hell of a job trying to fix this club.
I would love to know what's happening financially to us. After the players we sold we only spent 7 Million and suddenly we are skint.
Where do you expect the money for Wenkers new contract with pay hike to come from ?
New keeper needed ? Young Macey looked good on the bench last night.

Bunting14

Post by Bunting14 »

You can imagine what would happen if we turn Atletico over. The AKBs will say that Simeone and is ilk arent a step up on Wenger :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
We could and should have got Klopp three years ago. Not only does his team play infinitely more attractive football, but they now have a decent defence. Even if they don't win another Champions' League, they have shown the ambition to try. We can call them all the names under the sun, but I envy them.
Not that he wouldn't be a slight improvement on Wenger (who at this point wouldn't?) but I'm not sure where you get the idea they now have a decent defence? Of the top 6 clubs only we have conceded more goals. And that goal they conceded last night was indicative of their defensive standard. Their position in the table is down to out scoring teams because of the form of Salah.

- inconsistent with moments of brilliance. For me Klopp would be a step sideways. But to be honest I'm so sick of everything Wenger I'd take almost anyone just to break the tedium of the last decade. :roll:
Sorry mate, but NO and NO! Klopp is light years ahead of Wenger as a manager in the modern era. It's like chalk and cheese.
OK mate fair enough. I'll never agree with you on this one so we'll agree to disagree :wink: For me neither of them are good enough to manage us. :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Where do you expect the money for Wenkers new contract with pay hike to come from ?
New keeper needed ? Young Macey looked good on the bench last night.
Have to agree. He did everything asked of him. Top keeper. Internal solutions. 8)

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

He is already blaming fixture pile up and fatigue for the Atletico defeat..Getting the excuse in early.
We have six inconsequential league games left.We have a lot of players to rotate the squad around..What is the fucker's problem?

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 pm
He is already blaming fixture pile up and fatigue for the Atletico defeat..Getting the excuse in early.
We have six inconsequential league games left.We have a lot of players to rotate the squad around..What is the fucker's problem?
He's a twat that is his problem. People are tired of his excuses as evidenced by the 10-20,000k odd empty seats at pretty much every game now, that will only get worse if we drop out of the EL and limp to 6th in the PL, tourists will fill the ground?, you're having a laugh!.

Even the corporate scum that run the football corporation must be getting nervous now, Wenger's days are numbered unless he he can pull off another cup miracle to save himself, not quite so easy in the EL as the FA cup though.

:twisted:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:08 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

OK mate fair enough. I'll never agree with you on this one so we'll agree to disagree :wink: For me neither of them are good enough to manage us. :|
Klopp is a great manager. He has got Liverpool playing brilliant football and after a shaky start defensively they have improved no end in that department this season.
Salah was by far the best signing any club made last window. I'm guessing he made Liverpool almost 100 Million if he does get sold.

augie

Post by augie »

Apparently in one of todays papers, manu petit said that picking the grand national winner is as hard as listening to one of wenger's team talks :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

General

Post by General »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
The money was used to reduce an excessively high wage bill and plug the hole left by lack of CL football. We should have around £70-80m to spend on new players in the summer. If we amortise transfer over a few years like we always do, it could easily fund new buys between £100-150m. Trusting Wenger to make the right purchases would be suicidal for us.

Financially we are at crossroads and there's little resale value left the squad. Only Ramsey and Bellerin might generate significant transfer fees but we'd have to replace them, akin to robbing Peter to pay Paul. This summer is probably our last chance to instil any sort of balance in the squad. Another season under Wenger will put final nail in our coffin.

General

Post by General »

Bayern Munich have announced the young vibrant Niko Kovac as their new manager in advance of the CL semi final tie against Madrid. Why aren't Arsenal doing the same and clarify Wenger's future you may ask. It's because Europa cup success would almost certainly guarantee Wenger another season. It's utter madness.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

General wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am
Bayern Munich have announced the young vibrant Niko Kovac as their new manager in advance of the CL semi final tie against Madrid. Why aren't Arsenal doing the same and clarify Wenger's future you may ask. It's because Europa cup success would almost certainly guarantee Wenger another season. It's utter madness.
Mate, winning the also rans euro pot is much worse than that - we win the fucking thing and TOF gets a new improved longer term deal from Stan. While I'm still hopeful that he might fuck off at the end of this season, we certainly can't afford to win anything between now and the end of his current deal or the old fucker will stay even longer.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'm so actively disengaged now that in a bizarre way I want the senile old prick to stay and carry on ruining his legacy which slips further and further from memory - such is my loathing for the owner and the people that run our club (and at least half the squad) I hope it all blows up in their faces in the name of greed.

Yesterday it was 20 years to the day since we won 4-1 at Blackburn, playing some of the most scintillating fast paced, powerful football I've ever witnessed. 20 fucking years - it belongs to a different era. I was there that day and you just knew we had something special to treasure. Now its Liverpool, Spurs and City playing that brand of football, all with managers aged between 44 and 50. Wenger was 48 when we won 4-1 that day and took that first title. Forget Fergie, he was a one off. Managers peak between 45 and 55 and that's where we need to be looking......not a first jobber or a journeyman deep into his 60s (albeit a caretaker option of that ilk for half a season would be an improvement on SFB). Simeone is 47 and must be ready for a new challenge soon surely?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Lacazette has been brain washed by the untouchable leader...He is quoted as saying winning the Europa League is important as it will keep Wenger at the club.