THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Does this mean we won't be talking about sewing any more?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :coffeespit:

Spinal Tap quality. Superb. :lol: 8)

Redarmy

Re: Thank You, Arsene.

Post by Redarmy »

Midz wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:44 pm
I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to Arsene Wenger for the positive things he did for the club. My biggest gripe which I'm sure I'm not alone in is that he overstayed his tenure.
Now that he's finally done the right thing and said he will step down at the end of this season I all of a sudden feel a renewed passion for the club.

I wanted results to go against us or protests or anything to get rid of him but now there's no need for any of that .
I hope we can win the Europa now as before he made this announcement I really didn't care.

i know I've said some harsh things about him but in fairness I believed them to be correct at the time of postings.

Anyway, thank you Arsene.
Yes thats my take on it....i have been his harshest critic but now he has eventually gone i will sing his fucking name as loud as i can...and fuck the lot of em.....we all know the story...truly an end of an era...lets appoint the right man...please

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

I feel exactly the same , I wanted Wenger gone and now he is going let’s give him the send off he deserves. Also let spank those murdering pikeys in the process.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Here's my farewell message to him.

Shut the door on the way out. You trashed your legacy, creamed over 100 million off the club in wages you were no longer earning and did none of it for the good of the club.

Next please

Post by 1989 »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 am
Thank fuck.

Of all the posts on here since the news broke, this was all that was required.....the perfect summation.

All I’d add, is that I can’t comprehend the “thank you Arsene” claptrap I’m reading, particularly from posters that (quite rightly) called him every name under the sun, accused him of all sorts and clamoured for his departure, preferably in ignominy.

Personally, his credit in my bank of sentimentality ran out 10 years ago and he’s been slipping ever further into the red with each passing season. The mismanagement and inevitable failure of the years since 2004 far outweigh the success of the preceding years and most of all for the arrogant, stubborn, dismissive, ego driven nature of those years of decline. I can’t forgive him for damaging my love for the Club and indeed, for football in general. It remains to be seen whether that spark can be re-ignited.

We have nothing to thank the man for, because he has negligently and wilfully overseen the slow, but sure, demise of our Club. Clearly he’s been pushed, because he would NEVER have walked honourably and willingly. His lunatic ego and greed would have seen him cling on for as long as possible, even if that meant reducing the finest footballing institution I knew, to complete rubble.

Pride, arrogance, dishonesty and above all, ego. Good riddance to the mad bastard.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

NickF wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:46 pm
Ivan doing his press conference now:

Wenger is still taken credit for George Weah getting elected and apparently we are in a better position now than when he took over.....
I was there at the start (first got a season ticket as a kid in his first season) and I was there at the end (had the misfortune to go last Sunday).

I can categorically say that we are a far worse team now than when he took over. In terms of ability and a million times over in terms of mentality.

I’m not interested in crucifying the bloke. I’ve never taken any enjoyment from it and whilst he’s missed the boat by several years for me to take part in any sort of parade, the only thing that really matters is that he’s gone. The club will hold a parade and people will fawn and that’s fine - I won’t be joining in.

I will fucking well take exception to anybody spouting any of that ‘built the club’ bollocks though.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: THE WENGER

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:51 pm
Belfast Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:37 pm
Great news for the future of the club, and hopefully great news for the future of the forum as well 8)

We might actually see a return of a few old members and mods too eh :wink: :lol: :lol:
Lovely to hear the news :barscarf:

Great to see some old names back on her again -,Belfast Boy being one.

Everything just got so repetitive, the playing style, the results, the comments on the forum - because quite simply we had seen it over and over and over again.

Hope the fans can find a way to re-align (having Vieira as a no2 might do that) would love to hear the Vieira song ringing out loud and proud once more but not sure he is ready to be manger yet, or fair on him to be expected to sort out the shit left behind.

When people leave it is often said they leave behind big shoes to fill - in Wenkers case it’s a big coat 🧥 :wink:

Oh and a big thank you to Nick, Chris, Sean, Jumpers, Stevie, Retro, One Bard, Rob et al involved and to all who marched, protested, contributed to the fund, and stayed away - it worked eventually, like taking away a brick at a time from a dam wall

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Saddest thing is that this situation was forced on everyone, don't feel sorry for him as he should have been honest enough with himself not to sign that last contract but sad that this whole episode has ended this way, he should have left after Hull when even the most hardcore hater would have appreciated what he did, now it's just relief from a lot that he's finally done the right thing by everyone.

I've stayed away this season, been to 12 games (including the final) and left my seats empty for the rest, glad that helped and don't mind the hit in the money, all for the greater good but will go now at the weekend and to the remaining games, say what you want about him (and loads will be said on here) but it's done now, no need to hold on to the hatred, better late then never I guess.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 pm
I’m sure the odd yarn will pop up occasionally mate

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Great news but ----------------- TEN YEARS TOO LATE !!!!

Hopefully now the useless, egotistical lunatic has gone, we can re-unite as a fan base, we can appoint a decent manager that will restore our pride, we can ship out the deadwood crap like Xhaka, Mustafi, Iwobi, Chambers, Ramsey, Cech and all of the other wasters living life on easy street and we can start behaving like a proud football club again, rather than the money making joke that we have become.

A big thank you to everyone that joined our protests last season and a big thank you to everyone that left their seat empty this season.

And as for Wenger - I hope he goes abroad to manage and we never see or hear him again!! TWAT!!!!

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

20/04/2018 8) One of the biggest if not theee biggest day in the history of our great football club :barscarf:
I'm not gonna lie but I've wanted him gone for quite some time :lol: Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafuckinyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssss!!!!
I can't forgive him for the way he has made me feel about the club or football in general these last few years.I didn't even enjoy the cup win last season(as I knew what it would mean)and the win over Hull was ruined with his announcement just after it.I'm just glad he's going and I can get back to enjoying games again 8) Thank feck DBs 2025 prediction turned out to be a load of shite :barscarf: 20/04/2018 the day The Arsenal came back to life :barscarf: :barscarf:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 am
Thank fuck.

Of all the posts on here since the news broke, this was all that was required.....the perfect summation.

All I’d add, is that I can’t comprehend the “thank you Arsene” claptrap I’m reading, particularly from posters that (quite rightly) called him every name under the sun, accused him of all sorts and clamoured for his departure, preferably in ignominy.

Personally, his credit in my bank of sentimentality ran out 10 years ago and he’s been slipping ever further into the red with each passing season. The mismanagement and inevitable failure of the years since 2004 far outweigh the success of the preceding years and most of all for the arrogant, stubborn, dismissive, ego driven nature of those years of decline. I can’t forgive him for damaging my love for the Club and indeed, for football in general. It remains to be seen whether that spark can be re-ignited.

We have nothing to thank the man for, because he has negligently and wilfully overseen the slow, but sure, demise of our Club. Clearly he’s been pushed, because he would NEVER have walked honourably and willingly. His lunatic ego and greed would have seen him cling on for as long as possible, even if that meant reducing the finest footballing institution I knew, to complete rubble.

Pride, arrogance, dishonesty and above all, ego. Good riddance to the mad bastard.
Nice words Neil, the Thanks for the memories banner was polite and spot on 5 odd years ago, like you my love of everything Arsenal has diminished, will see if it returns.

MrT

Post by MrT »

Ornstein has been saying that Wenger wanted to leave at the end of last season but the board didn't have a suitable candidate to replace him so offered him a new deal. What a shit show if that's true.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43841645
However, it is my understanding Wenger was closer to walking away towards the end of last season than we knew at the time. Those closest to him were advising him to leave on a high after the FA Cup win against Chelsea in May.

But at that time, Arsenal did not have a plan in place to replace him. They were not set up to start a recruitment process. Wenger knew as much and felt - rightly or wrongly - that he would be leaving them in the lurch. He felt it was an obligation to carry on and he thought he could have one last crack at leading this team to success.