Your choice as manager/Arteta Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who Do YOU Want As Next Arsenal Manager

Ancelotti
21%
Tuchel
1%
Allegri
49%
PV4
6%
Enrique
2%
Jardim
5%
Nagelsmann
1%
Rodgers
1%
Arteta
3%
Others
12%

Total votes: 127

Clash

Re: Your Choice As Manager

Post by Clash »

It might mean nothing but I thought it was strange (and scary) the way Ian Wright was talking up Arteta on MOTD on Sunday night.

Why would he say that if he didnt know something we dont?

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am
It might mean nothing but I thought it was strange (and scary) the way Ian Wright was talking up Arteta on MOTD on Sunday night.

Cos he has a long history showing a lack of intelligence, and empty vessels always make the most noise - there is football smarts and there is intelligence smarts, and wright has only ever been the former

RobG

Post by RobG »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 am
Hoffenhiem Director of Football says coach Julian Nagelsmann will be 100% at the club next season...SSN.

Then it's Arteta........or Antonio Conte after he leaves on Saturday. I know which one I would have.

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:03 am
Clash wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 am

Cos he has a long history showing a lack of intelligence, and empty vessels always make the most noise - there is football smarts and there is intelligence smarts, and wright has only ever been the former
Fair points :D

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

It's all there in plain sight people:-

The big names we want are concerned by the club structure

The club's new structure indicates that we are getting a coach not a manager

Kroenke believes that an inexperienced coach having worked at the Rams will work here - and doesn't really care if it doesn't. (Hey Augie, don't forget......Apples + oranges = bananas :D )

Gazidis isn't going to allow anything approaching another wenker situation to happen on his watch. He wants day to day control now.

Arteta is going to be a cheap option

Arteta will be happy to put up with the bullshit - including getting lumbered with Bould and the mad German

Our board are a bunch of fuckwits that took far far too long to kneecap wenker

Our board know Arteta and that he has sat next to Pep for a while so is now a football genius by association.

I want Allegri too folks but I have no faith in the board. Remember even without wenker they are still the same shower of shit.

StanKroenke'sWig

Post by StanKroenke'sWig »

Looks very much like Arteta.

Assume it'll be a 'Head Coach' role. Arteta with coaching players, tactics etc etc. Raul Sanllehi with DOF duties (removing dead wood. Is he the one removing old coaches and Colin Lewin? :rubchin: )and then we will have Mislintat for player recruitment.

That's what it looks like to me.

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 am

Kroenke believes that an inexperienced coach having worked at the Rams will work here - and doesn't really care if it doesn't. (Hey Augie, don't forget......Apples + oranges = bananas :D )

Gazidis isn't going to allow anything approaching another wenker situation to happen on his watch. He wants day to day control now.

Arteta will be happy to put up with the bullshit - including getting lumbered with Bould and the mad German

Our board know Arteta and that he has sat next to Pep for a while so is now a football genius by association.

I want Allegri too folks but I have no faith in the board. Remember even without wenker they are still the same shower of shit.

Again I will point to the fact that it has been that way all over europe for decades, and most european based coaches know and accept that. In juve moggi is known to be the transfer guy, barca have had people behind scenes doing their transfers for years, mislinat was the guy at dortmund for years, and in real madrid the fcuking presidents decides who they are signing ffs :roll: How much input do you think klopp has in transfers at the victims ? Top clubs ALL hire coaches, and every Gooner asked about what we want in a new manager, says that we need a guy to come in and COACH the defence - we have never suggested that we need the manager to bring a guy with him that can coach the defence cos we know that we need a coaching manager not a financial/transfer guru manager

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

The club have handled this like they've handled Wenger....Badly.

Problem with a no mark manager is that it is going to have all the AKB's & the "be careful what you wish for" crowd saying...We warned you.

Well those who wanted Wenger out didn't want a Eddie Howe or Arteta to replace him did we? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mind you Eddie Howe is starting to look like a dream appointment compared to Arteta.

augie

Post by augie »

I should add that while I saidI that we need a manager that can coach, I mean that we need a manager that is a proven coach at the top level, and not just some muppet that has sat alongside pep for 18 months :roll:

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Jock Gooner wrote:

Its ok people keep saying I want Allegri, we should get Allegri etc etc but if Allegri doesnt want to come what can the club do? Juve want him and he wants to stay at Juve so whats the point in keep banging on about him?
I couldnt care less if Arteta is the cheap option if he does the job and no-one knows if he can do it because he hasnt done it before, why do we all assume he will be rubbish because he doesn't have experience? Pep clearly thinks a lot of him so he must have something, I bet Ancellotti cost Munich a fortune last year, 6 months later they sacked him, in football, cheap does not mean shit, maybe it means being shrewd and not paying over the top for mediocrity? My only worry is that he will be a yes man for the board but again, we dont know that, we are all guessing but it seems we are all assuming the worst, it could go the other way people! lets hope

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 am
Jock Gooner wrote:

Again I will point to the fact that it has been that way all over europe for decades, and most european based coaches know and accept that. In juve moggi is known to be the transfer guy, barca have had people behind scenes doing their transfers for years, mislinat was the guy at dortmund for years, and in real madrid the fcuking presidents decides who they are signing ffs :roll: How much input do you think klopp has in transfers at the victims ? Top clubs ALL hire coaches, and every Gooner asked about what we want in a new manager, says that we need a guy to come in and COACH the defence - we have never suggested that we need the manager to bring a guy with him that can coach the defence cos we know that we need a coaching manager not a financial/transfer guru manager

Yes, we all know what we need and how it is across the continent, as you say that has been in place for years and handled by and largely successfully by the top clubs. My concern remains the personalities at our place who are going to be making this decision. When you take into account the other factors that accompany this belated change in structure coupled with our esteemed board it suggests that we could well end up with coach-lite Arteta rather than a more experienced coach/manager - which is the main thrust of my point.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Saw this on twatter from gunnerblog, kind of sums of my feelings. No I don't think Arteta is the right man for the job, no I don't think he will succeed, yes I would prefer Allegri or Jardim but the last 8+ years has left me exhausted and weary and I'm just glad I'm going to get something different and not more of the same. If Arteta get's the job I'll be behind him 100% from the off and see where we go.

Arsenal hark on about stability, but continuity can prove the enemy of optimism. Turbulence brings about the possibility of change, and Arsenal fans are surely ready to welcome that now. I know I am – I’m fully aware that it might get worse before it gets better. Bring it on. I feel like I’ve watched 1000 episodes of Friends back to back and now you’re gong to randomly change the channel. Yes, we might land on Made in Chelsea, but at least it’s different. And we might get Planet Earth. We don’t know. Just change the fucking channel.

augie

Post by augie »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:19 am
Jock Gooner wrote:

Its ok people keep saying I want Allegri, we should get Allegri etc etc but if Allegri doesnt want to come what can the club do? Juve want him and he wants to stay at Juve so whats the point in keep banging on about him?
I couldnt care less if Arteta is the cheap option if he does the job and no-one knows if he can do it because he hasnt done it before, why do we all assume he will be rubbish because he doesn't have experience? Pep clearly thinks a lot of him so he must have something, I bet Ancellotti cost Munich a fortune last year, 6 months later they sacked him, in football, cheap does not mean shit, maybe it means being shrewd and not paying over the top for mediocrity? My only worry is that he will be a yes man for the board but again, we dont know that, we are all guessing but it seems we are all assuming the worst, it could go the other way people! lets hope

There is a MASSIVE difference from being a yes man to the worlds top manager, to being in charge yourself. It becomes an even tougher job when the job you have taken on is to sort out an absolute shitfest left behind by an outdated c.unt. The new guy needs to have experience managing coaching staff, needs to have experience of managing ego's, needs to have experience setting up the overall tactics of a team, and needs to have experience of game management - in other words he needs to have experience of how to change things during a game depending on how we are doing at the time, and bear in mind that even when he was in his prime, this is something wenger was never any good at. Arteta was in charge for one half (second leg of champs league game v the victims when pep was sent off) and he presided over a massive collapse in that half - hardly the greatest endorsement of his abilities is it ? His inability to change things, organise and motivate the citeeh players in that half, doesnt suggest an awful lot of respect from the citeeh players towards his abilities I suspect. Some might say that he wasnt allowed any power from pep during that half, but we are supposed to belief that he is held in such high esteem by pep, that he would not give any control over to him despite being the guy that is down pitchside ?

Arteta should not be anywhere near this job at this stage of his coaching career. End of

Post by 1989 »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

People's issue with this choice is why we're settling for someone with zero management experience when there are viable options available out there for the role, which is a very valid argument. Arteta could be the new Pep and bloody Fergie rolled into one type of genius for all we know but what matters at the minute is that we as a club are not in a position to risk finding that out. It's highly unlikely that he's the man to turn around our fortunes; heck, we don't even know anything about him as a manager as there is nothing to go on! At the end of the day we're a 6th placed team that is need of serious surgery and that requires bringing in a manager with top level experience and pedigree who has a track record of improving and elevating teams, end of.
Last edited by 1989 on Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Mate, we're only expressing our hopes for our club when we kick Allegri's name about - it's just hope! To answer your point though the club have to get off their arse and go and get him which means making a pitch to him about the vision the board have for the club's new direction in a post wenker world, paying him a world class salary and giving him a transfer war chest. OK I have just read that back....we're not going to get Allegri, in fact Arteta's looking pretty optimistic just now.