Your choice as manager/Arteta Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who Do YOU Want As Next Arsenal Manager

Ancelotti
21%
Tuchel
1%
Allegri
49%
PV4
6%
Enrique
2%
Jardim
5%
Nagelsmann
1%
Rodgers
1%
Arteta
3%
Others
12%

Total votes: 127

Nos89

Re: Arteta

Post by Nos89 »

JCB wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm
A deeply depressing appointment if true. I thought I was ready to come in from the cold: back into Arsenal, back into football, to join in on office conversations on football and start to feel the passion again. However, if Arteta is the chosen one, I think we're looking at another couple of dark, meandering, meaningless years.

I'd love to be proved wrong but the comment above of "giving a 17 year old the keys to a Ferrari" may prove ominously true.
That's just it, we are not the Ferrari, that we all like to believe we are. No champions league, why would Allegri step down to us. Ancellotti and Enrique are both out of work and would see us as a stepping stone back into Ferrari territory.
It appears the club are looking at a long term appointment whilst we the fans want a short term appointment, after having 3 managers in 32 years, with one only staying for a year. The chelski, Barcelona model has worked for them.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 am

That's just it, we are not the Ferrari, that we all like to believe we are. No champions league, why would Allegri step down to us. Ancellotti and Enrique are both out of work and would see us as a stepping stone back into Ferrari territory.
It appears the club are looking at a long term appointment whilst we the fans want a short term appointment, after having 3 managers in 32 years, with one only staying for a year. The chelski, Barcelona model has worked for them.
I think that they want to be the kingmaker on the cheap. I am mildly interested, but to be honest, if they don't want to compete while trying for the illusion of competing, then why should I bother? There are managers out there who we could get in who wouldn't break the bank and are probably interested. I am not including the top-drawer ones. For example, the Hasenhuttll coach just resigned from RB Leipzig 2 days ago. Granted, they finished 6th last year, but 2nd the year prior and he is free. Jardims buyout clause is rumoured to be £7 million.

I just think that the club decided that Arteta was ready despite having zero experience. If Arteta bombs, people just won't go again. I certainly won't be rushing back.

Is it me, or is this a general apathy for football in general? I just am not remotely excited if we appoint Arteta. Maybe that will change on the eve of the new season...

begeegs

Re: Your Choice As Manager

Post by begeegs »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:02 pm
This is it boys, this is the end.

No ''top'' player is going to want to come and play for Arteta and Cazorla. :lol: :lol:

Fucking mid-table obscurity here we come.
Two complete novices. What a complete joke our club is. I am starting to hope that Kroenke brings the whole thing plummeting down. What kind of a clown would sanction appointing two people who haven't ever managed and one who has coached for 2 years only?

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

No ''top'' player is going to want to come and play for Arteta and Cazorla. :lol: :lol:

Two complete novices. What a complete joke our club is. I am starting to hope that Kroenke brings the whole thing plummeting down. What kind of a clown would sanction appointing two people who haven't ever managed and one who has coached for 2 years only?

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I'm not happy about Arteta, don't think he should be anywhere near the job but it's clear the board won't fund a really elite manager to work the rebuild and they are really putting faith into their new system of Misslintat and Rahnelli rather than looking for one man to replace Wenger.

It's done now, protesting will just make us look egotistical, we wanted change, they delivered on that, is it the right move? Absolutely not but it's not Wenger and that's what we want, we always knew the massive danger would be the board making a mess of the appointment and that reality is here.

Re Arteta, I don't hate the man, thought he came and got Wengered, if you remember he was a class attacker at Everton who had that Wengered out of him to save buying a DM, to take this job on tells me he's young, ambitious & confident in his ability, the opposite to Wenger IMO, I'm sure he'll be hungry to succeed & make a name for himself, if he gets the right team around him and Sven gives him the tools by getting the right players to fill the obvious weak areas then he'll have half a chance.

To play the glass half full game, hardly any of this squad has gone to the World Cup, he'll have them all for pre season, we might actually start a season prepared for once (which was always a clusterfuck under Wenger) he'll need a fast start and a big win over a top side and we might all get onside with it, I won't lie, I'm starting to get my head around it now and am excited about a Wengerless era.

Arteta and Sven have a lot to prove, I'm sure they want to show Wenger up, Wenger won't be a hard act to follow at all, he's not Fergie and this team is on its arse now, the home form was up there with City last year so it's not as bad a side as everyone thinks IMO, they were just in a comfort zone under a manager who couldn't mix it with this new young breed of coach, hopefully Arteta is one of those who attention to detail and hunger comes through, that's all we can hope for now.

Either way, if this fails, the protests and numbers will all be united this time towards the same direction, Ivan and Wiggy are in the firing line now.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

One of the reasons Wenger failed hard in those last few years, was the atmosphere turned toxic because trust was broken & almost all fans knew he couldn't turn it around.

Once Wenger was moved on, that toxic atmosphere would dispense and the whole club could start fresh. All the club needed to do was appoint someone the fans could get behind, and someone the fans would be willing to show some leeway in any down times. However, they managed to pick someone who the fans do not trust, and someone the fans will show no goodwill toward. Thus, poor results will beget further toxic atmosphere.

Its not a clean slate. Its a continuation of Wenger. Although Arteta commands less respect & authority than Wenger.

Make no mistake about it, this is a diabolical appointment and it will not succeed.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Wenger had no respect or authority towards the end, that's a pure myth, the players turned up when they wanted performance wise and Ozil would call in sick because they knew he was a soft touch.

They were on easy street because they knew he was on the way out.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Years and years of stagnation to come...the dream of seeing a Champions League trophy at Arsenal will never materialise.....

Post by 1989 »

Bruce Rioch attracted Bergkamp. :wink:

Players should come to play for The Arsenal at the end of the day, not who's managing us.

Red Heron

Post by Red Heron »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 am
Gazidis is a moron. He is typical of a certain type of super arrogant American businessman that thinks he is smarter than he is.... the type that bring banks down. He tried a coup last year and made a complete fuck up of it. The ONLY reason Wenger went this season is because so many fans stayed away from the Conglomerates that Wiggy could see it would hurt the brand if Wenger served out the full two year extension. The board could not and did not foresee having to get rid of Wenger after the first year of the extension and had no plan in place. People giving Gazidis credit for cunning and business smarts have it totally wrong.

Make no mistake Kroenke Gazidis and this board of empty suited lizards are greedy enough and stupid enough to go with the cheap option of Arteta.

Wenger was the symptom. Kroenke (and Gazidis) are the disease. :censored:
Best post you written here by far.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Red Heron wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:08 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:47 am
Gazidis is a moron. He is typical of a certain type of super arrogant American businessman that thinks he is smarter than he is.... the type that bring banks down. He tried a coup last year and made a complete fuck up of it. The ONLY reason Wenger went this season is because so many fans stayed away from the Conglomerates that Wiggy could see it would hurt the brand if Wenger served out the full two year extension. The board could not and did not foresee having to get rid of Wenger after the first year of the extension and had no plan in place. People giving Gazidis credit for cunning and business smarts have it totally wrong.

Make no mistake Kroenke Gazidis and this board of empty suited lizards are greedy enough and stupid enough to go with the cheap option of Arteta.

Wenger was the symptom. Kroenke (and Gazidis) are the disease. :censored:
Best post you written here by far.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah. Fuck the other 42,268 :barscarf: :lol:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

After years of hearing how we should keep Wanker for another 500 years because of Man. Utd and Moyes, we've ended up making an even worse choice. At least Moyes had experience of managing a side before; Arteta has experience of not being a manager. This will be the most ridiculous appointment in English football history, there was the chance to make a real statement, appoint someone to revolutionise the club and its reputation for mediocrity but no, we're going to appoint someone with the same managerial experience as a postbox. We might as well have Ainsley Maitland Niles and Rhys Nelson as player-managers. If Arteta becomes manager, our only hope of winning something will be if the other teams all injure themselves laughing too much. "We looked long and hard for a manager for about 15 minutes then someone said 'what about that bloke that used to play for us a few years back, Arteta.' Then we just said yes to that suggestion and went home."

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

1989 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:33 am
Bruce Rioch attracted Bergkamp. :wink:

Players should come to play for The Arsenal at the end of the day, not who's managing us.
I agree, however under wenger's delusional and despotic rule, especially the last 12 seasons - And with kroenke jnr in full affect at the helm (he tells gazidis what to do) the once proud and shining name "Arsenal FC" has been dragged through the quagmire of Wenger's madness
& Kroenke's profit before trophies insistence, and so is tainted and the fans humiliated.

I don't know if we will ever have our Arsenal,, THE Arsenal we have loved and followed all our lives back again.

But this managerial change is yet another telling tale of the ineptitude of those at the helm and I fear may bring even more hurt and humiliation to us Gooners in the coming days. It's just that No One at the club seems to have any "Common Sense" and not a fuckin' scooby about what it is they should, could and need to do, in order to make the club and team anything like it was before wenger arrived.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:44 pm
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm
You're talking about the Wenger statue, right?

:lol:
remember when Maggie Thatchers statue got decapitated. :rubchin:
Yes, but I have an alibi. :box:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 3:15 am
I'm not happy about Arteta, don't think he should be anywhere near the job but it's clear the board won't fund a really elite manager to work the rebuild and they are really putting faith into their new system of Misslintat and Rahnelli rather than looking for one man to replace Wenger.

It's done now, protesting will just make us look egotistical, we wanted change, they delivered on that, is it the right move? Absolutely not but it's not Wenger and that's what we want, we always knew the massive danger would be the board making a mess of the appointment and that reality is here.

Re Arteta, I don't hate the man, thought he came and got Wengered, if you remember he was a class attacker at Everton who had that Wengered out of him to save buying a DM, to take this job on tells me he's young, ambitious & confident in his ability, the opposite to Wenger IMO, I'm sure he'll be hungry to succeed & make a name for himself, if he gets the right team around him and Sven gives him the tools by getting the right players to fill the obvious weak areas then he'll have half a chance.

To play the glass half full game, hardly any of this squad has gone to the World Cup, he'll have them all for pre season, we might actually start a season prepared for once (which was always a clusterfuck under Wenger) he'll need a fast start and a big win over a top side and we might all get onside with it, I won't lie, I'm starting to get my head around it now and am excited about a Wengerless era.

Arteta and Sven have a lot to prove, I'm sure they want to show Wenger up, Wenger won't be a hard act to follow at all, he's not Fergie and this team is on its arse now, the home form was up there with City last year so it's not as bad a side as everyone thinks IMO, they were just in a comfort zone under a manager who couldn't mix it with this new young breed of coach, hopefully Arteta is one of those who attention to detail and hunger comes through, that's all we can hope for now.

Either way, if this fails, the protests and numbers will all be united this time towards the same direction, Ivan and Wiggy are in the firing line now.
Damn right they are.