The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:59 pm
1989 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:47 pm
Can actually see Iwobi having a good World Cup.

Because he did ok today against the worst england team in the history of football ?? :shock: :shock: The guy is shit ffs :roll: :banghead:

No, because he seems to be a different player for Nigeria. They seem to know how to use him and maximise whatever strengths he has. He actually looked quality in their 3 man midfield today.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

I drew Belgium and Portugal in a world cup winner sweep. Any thoughts on either of their chances?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

How many games will the bug eyed bottler duck out of for Germany due to “illness” I wonder?

My guess would be zero :roll:

Post by 1989 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:53 am
How many games will the bug eyed bottler duck out of for Germany due to “illness” I wonder?

My guess would be zero :roll:
Because Loew would never tolerate/allow that nonsense.

Le Fraud indulged him.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:14 pm
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

Because he did ok today against the worst england team in the history of football ?? :shock: :shock: The guy is shit ffs :roll: :banghead:

Totally disagree, this is not the worst England team in history. The one between '93-'94 has to be the worst. A team that had Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas and Tony Daley has to be the worst one ever. Led by the legend Graham "do I not like that" Taylor.
You're only saying that because we didn't qualify for the WC. If you look at the players back then we had, Tony Adams, David Seaman, Stuart Pearce, Garry Pallister, David Platt, Paul Gascoigne, John Barnes, Paul Ince, Alan Shearer, Wrighty etc etc. Its easy to pull off the shit, versus the half decent players to make a point.

It was a badly managed team, they had bundles more talent than the class of 2018. This team is the worst England WC squad in decades, period.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

1989 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:48 am
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

No, because he seems to be a different player for Nigeria. They seem to know how to use him and maximise whatever strengths he has. He actually looked quality in their 3 man midfield today.
Was a tidy finish tbh, at Arsenal he would have no doubt skied it into the upper tier.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 am
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:14 pm
augie wrote:
1989 wrote:

Totally disagree, this is not the worst England team in history. The one between '93-'94 has to be the worst. A team that had Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas and Tony Daley has to be the worst one ever. Led by the legend Graham "do I not like that" Taylor.
You're only saying that because we didn't qualify for the WC. If you look at the players back then we had, Tony Adams, David Seaman, Stuart Pearce, Garry Pallister, David Platt, Paul Gascoigne, John Barnes, Paul Ince, Alan Shearer, Wrighty etc etc. Its easy to pull off the shit, versus the half decent players to make a point.

It was a badly managed team, they had bundles more talent than the class of 2018. This team is the worst England WC squad in decades, period.

Thats the point I was making too - it isnt a pop at engerland as such cos I believe international football is in a poor condition as well, but I can honestly say that I have never seen as poor an england squad in my lifetime. We can debate whether a few players like wilshere should have been picked or not, but there are very few players that we could debate over such is the sparsity of talented players available to southgate. I do think that southgate is caught between two stools really - people commend him cos he is going with some younger players (I still believe that is down to his inability to manage "star players"), but if he was really committed to that policy, then why bring journeyman players like wellshit, henderson and ashley young at all ? He could have brought the young kid from fulham as back up to rose on the left wing., and that is only one example, To me you are either committed to a policy or you are not into it all all

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

The World Cup is fucking shit, (no, not just because England never win it), but because for a month the pubs are filled with total dickheads in replica tops, who have never been anywhere near an actual Football match, imparting their football knowledge to all and sundry. :banghead: :twisted:
By the way, is it pc to write the word England with a capital "E"? :D

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Is it also pc to say it's annoying the amount of women who suddenly 'support' football and take up vital space in the pub, slow up the service with their white wine spritzer or latte, then ask who the players are? In the words of Mr Chumley-Warner, 'Ladies, know your place!'

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Quite confidently predicting Ingerland wont progress from their group!
Tunisia top ranked African team ? Nigeria lowest?
Performance yesterday was pedestrian rubbish!
:barscarf: :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

goonertux wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 pm
Is it also pc to say it's annoying the amount of women who suddenly 'support' football and take up vital space in the pub, slow up the service with their white wine spritzer or latte, then ask who the players are? In the words of Mr Chumley-Warner, 'Ladies, know your place!'
I was in a pub in Brighton during the England v Germany semi, Euro '96.
After the penalty shoot out I went outside for some fresh air as the small pub, the Pedestrian Arms in Foundry Street was rammed.
There was a woman sitting on one of the benches sobbing into her spritza, so I asked her if everything was ok.
She replied, "No of course not, we have just lost the World Cup." :roll: :banghead:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:05 pm
goonertux wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 pm
I was in a pub in Brighton during the England v Germany semi, Euro '96.
After the penalty shoot out I went outside for some fresh air as the small pub, the Pedestrian Arms in Foundry Street was rammed.
There was a woman sitting on one of the benches sobbing into her spritza, so I asked her if everything was ok.
She replied, "No of course not, we have just lost the World Cup." :roll: :banghead:
:lol:

Reminds me of an evening 20 odd years ago, I was walking through town to meet mates at our pub to play pool when a late teen / early twenties lady was walking towards me bawling her eyes out, being the good citizen I was (am ?) I enquired if she was hurt, what was the matter etc as she was clearly in some distress......she stopped sobbing for long enough to look at me, and ask “do you really want to know ?”
At which point I replied, “ no not really” and carried on my merry way to the pub.

Post by 1989 »

Reminds me of my ex when I told her that I won't see her for a few days after the CL final defeat and she quipped "c'mon, it's just football luv".

Never spoke to her since.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

CloakedGooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 am
I drew Belgium and Portugal in a world cup winner sweep. Any thoughts on either of their chances?
Belgium overrated, and if Portugal pay Ronaldos £33m tax bill to Spain they will have a very good chance! If not they are fucked too....

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Doubt if I will watch much particularly now the Lord Bendtner has withdrawn from Denmark’s squad :cry: