The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by Herd »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:26 am
Doubt if I will watch much particularly now the Lord Bendtner has withdrawn from Denmark’s squad :cry:
Huge blow for Denmark ,he has scored a lot of important goals for them over the years ! :barscarf:

Paddy Power are gutted too ,he was bound to score n drop em again !

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 am
CloakedGooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 am
I drew Belgium and Portugal in a world cup winner sweep. Any thoughts on either of their chances?
Belgium overrated, and if Portugal pay Ronaldos £33m tax bill to Spain they will have a very good chance! If not they are fucked too....
I am fucked :(

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:39 pm
The World Cup is fucking shit, (no, not just because England never win it), but because for a month the pubs are filled with total dickheads in replica tops, who have never been anywhere near an actual Football match, imparting their football knowledge to all and sundry. :banghead: :twisted:
By the way, is it pc to write the word England with a capital "E"? :D
couple of women at work today (who normally show no interest in football ) were discussing the World Cup and how much they were looking forward to seeing Gareth Bale play :roll: :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Leroy Sane left out by Germany :shock:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:24 am
Astounding amount of quality on show there to be able to take a decision like that.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I'm struggling to get behind this England team. I just find them so boring to watch with no real class. I'm not a Sterling fan I just don't like the guy. Best part of the game the other night was when Rashford and Wellbeck came on. It might change when the World Cup starts but I just think that this is the most talentless English team I've ever seen.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Astounding amount of quality on show there to be able to take a decision like that.
Yes Germany have a quality squad but no way should of Sane been left out.

He is a better player than Draxler,Rudy or Brandt a game changer very surprised he has been left out.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:05 pm
goonertux wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 pm
Is it also pc to say it's annoying the amount of women who suddenly 'support' football and take up vital space in the pub, slow up the service with their white wine spritzer or latte, then ask who the players are? In the words of Mr Chumley-Warner, 'Ladies, know your place!'
I was in a pub in Brighton during the England v Germany semi, Euro '96.
After the penalty shoot out I went outside for some fresh air as the small pub, the Pedestrian Arms in Foundry Street was rammed.
There was a woman sitting on one of the benches sobbing into her spritza, so I asked her if everything was ok.
She replied, "No of course not, we have just lost the World Cup." :roll: :banghead:
:lol: :lol:

Wierd mate, I was in Brighton that day as well :shock: . Several people threw themselves off the pier and had to be rescued by the coastguards :shock:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/06/27 ... 835848000/

Post by 1989 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Joachim Löw was sniffing his arse while making that decision.

augie

Post by augie »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am
northbank123 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

He is a better player than Draxler,Rudy or Brandt a game changer very surprised he has been left out.

Sane is a big game bottler - in BOTH champions league games against the victims, he had chances to talk alexander-arnold when he had him isolated 1 v 1, but each time he chickened out and went backwards. I'm struggling to think of one big game where he has shone like a star should, and the fact that he was afraid to take on the young right back is for me a much bigger knock on him than taking him on and failing to go by hime :roll:

Topside Northbank

augie wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm
Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am
northbank123 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Sane is a big game bottler - in BOTH champions league games against the victims, he had chances to talk alexander-arnold when he had him isolated 1 v 1, but each time he chickened out and went backwards. I'm struggling to think of one big game where he has shone like a star should, and the fact that he was afraid to take on the young right back is for me a much bigger knock on him than taking him on and failing to go by hime :roll:
Think there were many in the City team who didn't turn up but Sane at 22 a big game bottler,harsh.

Draxler is being rewarded for captaining and winning the confederations cup last year,no doubt about that but 29 league games and 4 goals let alone 8 champions league appearances and registering a blank speak for themselves.

Brandt,Rudy,Draxler or Sane and he got cut out of that four :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:06 am
I'm struggling to get behind this England team. I just find them so boring to watch with no real class. I'm not a Sterling fan I just don't like the guy. Best part of the game the other night was when Rashford and Wellbeck came on. It might change when the World Cup starts but I just think that this is the most talentless English team I've ever seen.
I suppose all those that supported Real Madrid on here in the CL will be supporting Spain

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
I suppose all those that supported Real Madrid on here in the CL will be supporting Spain

It depends - will they be playing against the victims ? :rubchin: :lol: :lol:

Midz

Post by Midz »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
oh, are England in the World Cup?

Topside Northbank

Don't see England doing much but I seriously don't think anyone does and they haven't the expectation of previous teams.QF at best.I can only see Brazil,Germany,France or Spain if I was looking for an outsider many would of course fancy Belgium but I would keep an eye on Uruguay not to win it but a very solid team.

Funny living in Ireland as an Englishman the people I know are very surprised that people like me are not at all optimistic,the lack of quality compared to previous squads that did nothing glaring.

But if they can get a decent team shape they may be hard to beat and we always have a chance on penalties :lol: