The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by nut flush gooner »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm
Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:24 am
Leroy Sane left out by Germany :shock:
Astounding amount of quality on show there to be able to take a decision like that.
Yes Germany have a quality squad but no way should of Sane been left out.

He is a better player than Draxler,Rudy or Brandt a game changer very surprised he has been left out.

Sane is a big game bottler - in BOTH champions league games against the victims, he had chances to talk alexander-arnold when he had him isolated 1 v 1, but each time he chickened out and went backwards. I'm struggling to think of one big game where he has shone like a star should, and the fact that he was afraid to take on the young right back is for me a much bigger knock on him than taking him on and failing to go by hime :roll:
Think there were many in the City team who didn't turn up but Sane at 22 a big game bottler,harsh.

Draxler is being rewarded for captaining and winning the confederations cup last year,no doubt about that but 29 league games and 4 goals let alone 8 champions league appearances and registering a blank speak for themselves.

Brandt,Rudy,Draxler or Sane and he got cut out of that four :roll:
Sane is quality, a much better finisher than Sterling, who I expect to be the biggest bottle job in the England side for the tournament.

Germany have a multitude of riches to chose from, Ozil cannot do anything but shine in a team like this. No doubt he will have miraculously recovered from his mystery illness, that may well relapse in time for the PL season.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:51 pm
Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm
augie wrote:
Topside Northbank wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Astounding amount of quality on show there to be able to take a decision like that.

He is a better player than Draxler,Rudy or Brandt a game changer very surprised he has been left out.

Sane is a big game bottler - in BOTH champions league games against the victims, he had chances to talk alexander-arnold when he had him isolated 1 v 1, but each time he chickened out and went backwards. I'm struggling to think of one big game where he has shone like a star should, and the fact that he was afraid to take on the young right back is for me a much bigger knock on him than taking him on and failing to go by hime :roll:
Think there were many in the City team who didn't turn up but Sane at 22 a big game bottler,harsh.

Draxler is being rewarded for captaining and winning the confederations cup last year,no doubt about that but 29 league games and 4 goals let alone 8 champions league appearances and registering a blank speak for themselves.

Brandt,Rudy,Draxler or Sane and he got cut out of that four :roll:
Sane is quality, a much better finisher than Sterling, who I expect to be the biggest bottle job in the England side for the tournament.

Germany have a multitude of riches to chose from, Ozil cannot do anything but shine in a team like this. No doubt he will have miraculously recovered from his mystery illness, that may well relapse in time for the PL season.

Why is sane quality ? He (and sterling) have hugely benefitted from playing in a team where the opposition team are focused on stopping kdb, aguero, jesus and silva, and that allows players like sane and sterling to look better than they actually are

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Don't understand how people can support all the scum players just because they are wearing an England shirt.

We want them to break there legs week in and week out yet when an England shirt on them, we don't? doesn't wash for me and hence i cannot support the England team as its full of *word censored* i hate week in week out.

sorry cant turn it on and off.

if it was made up of mostly gooners then id be more keen on it, and didn't mind so much in the mid 90's when we had decent representation.

I find most 'fans' of the national team completely fake and its a load of faux pride BS as these are often the same people embarrassed to be English, or apologize for our past colonial misdemeanors...add in all the bandwagon jumpers who haven't got a facking clue about football, but want to be seen as into it as its in the media all the time cos its the world cup, it makes it even worse. you don't get these cretins at a cricket world cup, as its not seen as fashionable.

i like world cups and euros for the experience of seeing different teams (not that international football gets me bothered), indeed i went to the euros with m8s so we could experience it. sadly we balloted an England game and it was bloody awful, scum everywhere, idiots, mouth breathers etc.

i will watch the tournament but wont want England to do well. who wants harry kane lifting the world cup? they don't represent England, they represent themselves.

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:17 pm
Don't understand how people can support all the scum players just because they are wearing an England shirt.

We want them to break there legs week in and week out yet when an England shirt on them, we don't? doesn't wash for me and hence i cannot support the England team as its full of *word censored* i hate week in week out.

if it was made up of mostly gooners then id be more keen on it, and didn't mind so much in the mid 90's when we had decent representation.

I find most 'fans' of the national team completely fake and its a load of faux pride BS as these are often the same people embarrassed to be English, or apologize for our past colonial misdemeanors...add in all the bandwagon jumpers who haven't got a facking clue about football, but want to be seen as into it as its in the media all the time cos its the world cup, it makes it even worse. you don't get these cretins at a cricket world cup, as its not seen as fashionable.

i like world cups and euros for the experience of seeing different teams (not that international football gets me bothered), indeed i went to the euros with m8s so we could experience it. sadly we balloted an England game and it was bloody awful, scum everywhere, idiots, mouth breathers etc.

i will watch the tournament but wont want England to do well. who wants harry kane lifting the world cup? they don't represent England, they represent themselves.
Amen not a care if they do well or not,....what I enjoy about the world cup is it fills a void in the summer and I had a small punt on Brazil just to make it interesting.

As for actually going to watch England honestly wouldn't go if you paid me the fact it is in Russia more so,anyone going is taking a hell of a risk and not just En-ger-lund fans.No thanks and the team is full of twats as you say Alli especially a complete and utter bellend.

Post by 1989 »

augie wrote:
Topside Northbank wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Big game bottler? Scored and set up goals against Liverpool (home and away), Tottenham and us at the bowl.

14 goals and 19 assists last season from the wing and still only 22 years old. Wish we had a 'bottler' like him.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 am
augie wrote:
Topside Northbank wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Big game bottler? Scored and set up goals against Liverpool (home and away), Tottenham and us at the bowl.

14 goals and 19 assists last season from the wing and still only 22 years old. Wish we had a 'bottler' like him.
This, there was a time when Arsenal had attacking midfielders that gave this sort of return (Freddie and Bobby spring to mind), yet in recent years before Laca turned up Giroud wouldn’t score a lot more and he was our number one striker. Ramsey never even got close.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

This ^^. 8) Fucked if I know how any Arsenal fan can cheer on the likes of Rose, Keane and Diving ^^ Eyebrows tbh.... :oops:

Club before country every day for me. I remember my mate and I getting in a heated and frank "exchange of opinions" with all the people sat around us at an Oireland friendly back in maybe 2003 or 2004. Pikey Keane had just come on as sub and my mate yelled out "fuck off you tottnumb cùnt" much to the consternation of our fellow football going patrons. :lol:

And by "football going patrons" I do mean arsehole fair weather Oireland superfans... the type of mouth breathing fuckwits that claim "die hard support" for utd or the victims and then passionately sing sectarian anti British songs when it's Celtic they are giving their "die hard support".... the type of Mongs that totally miss the irony in that.... :oops: :censored:

We gave Keane non stop abuse that day. Fuck him. Vermin. :censored:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Kane is 98 kg ...... Who ate all the pies :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Theoperator wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32 pm
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:05 pm
goonertux wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:40 pm
Is it also pc to say it's annoying the amount of women who suddenly 'support' football and take up vital space in the pub, slow up the service with their white wine spritzer or latte, then ask who the players are? In the words of Mr Chumley-Warner, 'Ladies, know your place!'
I was in a pub in Brighton during the England v Germany semi, Euro '96.
After the penalty shoot out I went outside for some fresh air as the small pub, the Pedestrian Arms in Foundry Street was rammed.
There was a woman sitting on one of the benches sobbing into her spritza, so I asked her if everything was ok.
She replied, "No of course not, we have just lost the World Cup." :roll: :banghead:
:lol: :lol:

Wierd mate, I was in Brighton that day as well :shock: . Several people threw themselves off the pier and had to be rescued by the coastguards :shock:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/06/27 ... 835848000/
I remember the pier stuff in The Argus, as well as reports of German cars being vandalised in Shoreham and Portslade.
Also I am sure I remember reports in the Argus of a Russian E. F. student, (remember the hoards of them with their little blue an white rucksacks? :lol:), being quite badly beaten up because some dickheads assumed that he was German.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 am
augie wrote:
Topside Northbank wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Please dont include scoring against us as a sign of his quality cos you are scraping the arse out of the barrell there :roll:

As I said previously, it is easy for sane (and sterling) to shine in a team that has kdb, silva, aguero and jesus (the brazilian one not the crucified one), when opposition teams are gonna be set up to nullify them players first - how do you think sane would do in a lesser team ? He was absolutely dogshit in both semi final legs against the victims, and imo it was one of the biggest reasons why the victims lost - I still believe alexander arnold is over-hyped and raw (at this stage) and it was set up for sane to take him to the cleaners, but he gave his team nothing in either game. He checked inside or went backwards everytime he received the ball, and that is not what top quality players do - trying something and failing is better than trying absolutely nothing and that is what sane did :roll:

Btw the rumours coming out of the germany camp is that sane has been playing the billy big time bollox since he arrived, and that played a big part in his dropping :roll:

Post by 1989 »

So you're judging his big-game credentials over 2 games vs Liverpool? How is that enough of a sample to base such a conclusion on?

And why are you ignoring his performances vs Liverpool in the league, one where he scored an absolute peach and the other where he turned Liverpool's defence inside out before slamming it past their goalie at Anfield?

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Such a young English team with no media stars in it as well as a no frills manager in Southgate.

I would bench Sterling. Out of sight, out of mind. the guy is a walking headline and constant distraction. The guy is a dickhead, a wannabee celebrity with constant changes in hair styles & tattoos. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him he cant be Beckham, because where as Beckham looked like Brad Pitt, Raheem looks like a transsexual. They appear in male clothes, but that feminine trait is still their. You cant be a Hollywood footballer when you are 168 cm, weight 65kg and look like Bruno's fuck boy.

augie

Post by augie »

1989 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 am
So you're judging his big-game credentials over 2 games vs Liverpool? How is that enough of a sample to base such a conclusion on?

And why are you ignoring his performances vs Liverpool in the league, one where he scored an absolute peach and the other where he turned Liverpool's defence inside out before slamming it past their goalie at Anfield?

Just to clarify again, I am saying that playing in that citeeh team is something any of us could do (ok maybe not fwank in his velvet trackie :lol: ), and scoring that many goals and having that many assists does not make him a great player imo. A really top player stands up in the games where he is really needed and where his team-mates might not be excelling - he hid those nights and that there can be no doubt, and although kdb didnt play up to par in those games, he never stopped trying to get on the ball and make something happen.
Sane is a good player, but certainly not a top quality player imo

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Amen not a care if they do well or not,....what I enjoy about the world cup is it fills a void in the summer and I had a small punt on Brazil just to make it interesting.

As for actually going to watch England honestly wouldn't go if you paid me the fact it is in Russia more so,anyone going is taking a hell of a risk and not just En-ger-lund fans.No thanks and the team is full of twats as you say Alli especially a complete and utter bellend.
England fans will be fine, I don't expect any trouble at all - unless you are black, asian or gay

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 pm
Topside Northbank wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:17 pm

England fans will be fine, I don't expect any trouble at all - unless you are black, asian or gay
Or English