Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

Re: Unai Emery

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 am
Chris It concerns me hugely as well tbh - I have never really felt that ramsey fills any specific position in a team.

He certainly isnt a CDM.

Is he a CM per se ? I'm not sure cos I dont think that he is disciplined enough to play there and would leave his midfield partner high and dry too often - he would need someone extremely disciplined/selfless and at least as good as fernandinho (citeeh player), that would allow him to fcuk off at will, and tbh I'm not even sure if that is workable.

Is he a number 10 playing off the striker(s) ? There is no doubt he is very good at grabbing goals with his late runs into the box, but I dont think that he is creative enough to play as a number 10. In a good/strong team ozil is a perfect 10 cos he has the skill and vision (if bothered) to see and make the defence splitting passes, and I dont think ramsey has that tbh.

I would liken the ramsey situation to the cesc conundrum - cesc (although miles better than ramsey) cannot survive in a traditional 2 man centre midfield cos he isn't and never was physically strong enough, whilst ramsey cannot play there for positioning discipline issues imo. I would have zero problems selling ramsey right now, as long as we dont have to sell him at a reduced price due to his contract situation. I always thought that it made sense to renew ozil's contract cos we would get a better price when selling him, but the ridiculous 350k per week is gonna make it nigh on impossible to shift him unless we agree to pay a chunk of his wages for the remainder of his contract. We are in the same situation now, but as long as we dont overpay ramsey, there will always be a buyer in england for him
If we get the ramsey who looked a star player in the euros we are right to put faith in him.

If we yet the ramsey of his arsenal career so far, bar a 3rd of a season of goal scoring heroics, we are wasting our time.

The euros showed he can do it of he doesn't ponce around flicking it.

We have to hope under a new manager who does tactics he performs as the player of the euros not thr player we see week in week out for us.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I knew there would be some on here who although claiming to be Wenger Out's would also start beeatching & moaning about the new manager regardless of who was appointed. But FFS! Unai Emery hasn't even tried doing up the zip on his quaker yet and people are already dismissing him. Inferring by the rumours of signings/non-signings, what players might stay or go and what he appears to have not yet done (though they have No Idea what's going on behind the sceenes at Arsenal) why people cannot have the sense, intelligence and patience to wait and see how things begin and evolve is beyond me.

The FACT that we have had to endure at least 10 seasons of incompetence from a manager and board - that drove many to despair and turn away from the club because of the in-action of manager & board, along with the numerous humiliations against teams we were supposed to be competing with and yet we have a new manager that admittedly has come as a surprise to many, who just might be the first installment over the next 10 years to see the club turn its fortunes around and get back in the fight for trophies and success and actually re-kindle the love we all used to feel for our club and the team and the game itself.

For a new manager to take over what is a mess and even begin to re-shape and improve things in the first season will be an achievement...

Give Him "Time" and maybe just maybe he will surprise us all. Time will indeed tell.

U E A ! :barscarf:

Midz

Post by Midz »

^^

Absolutely.

Never a truer time for 'Judge him in May'.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

In patches Ramsey has shown his quality but then got shifted out wide or played in a deeper role. He is capable of playing in a Lampard role running from the midfield and scoring. If Emery plans to use him in that way, as Coleman did for Wales, then that is a markedly step forward.
I'm really looking forward to this season.

silus

Post by silus »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:54 am
I knew there would be some on here who although claiming to be Wenger Out's would also start beeatching & moaning about the new manager regardless of who was appointed. But FFS! Unai Emery hasn't even tried doing up the zip on his quaker yet and people are already dismissing him. Inferring by the rumours of signings/non-signings, what players might stay or go and what he appears to have not yet done (though they have No Idea what's going on behind the sceenes at Arsenal) why people cannot have the sense, intelligence and patience to wait and see how things begin and evolve is beyond me.

The FACT that we have had to endure at least 10 seasons of incompetence from a manager and board - that drove many to despair and turn away from the club because of the in-action of manager & board, along with the numerous humiliations against teams we were supposed to be competing with and yet we have a new manager that admittedly has come as a surprise to many, who just might be the first installment over the next 10 years to see the club turn its fortunes around and get back in the fight for trophies and success and actually re-kindle the love we all used to feel for our club and the team and the game itself.

For a new manager to take over what is a mess and even begin to re-shape and improve things in the first season will be an achievement...

Give Him "Time" and maybe just maybe he will surprise us all. Time will indeed tell.

Spot on. Some people need to cheer the fuck up.
I'm BUZZING for the start of the season for the first time in many, many years. That's not going to change whether we spend 50 quid or 50m quid, or whether we sign 7 year olds or 70 year olds.
The club are making steps in the right direction at long last. Let's enjoy it and see what happens ffs.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

I don't want Ramsey to stay either, but he'll be 28 by the end of the year, so even if we have to put up with him it'll likely only be for another couple of seasons.

Compared to the interminable Wenger reign that could have gone on for another decade, it's not too soul-destroying in comparison IMO.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Where is this proof of Ramsey being brilliant for Wakes :lol:

He got beat and outplayed by a shite England side who in turn got beat by Iceland.

He ran around a lot more, granted, but that is fuckin that :roll:

Sell him, he's a poor Ray Wilkinson.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Honestly I think every player has to be given the chance to start with a clean slate under the new manager. God knows how much they might improve with proper actual coaching, in an organised system with discipline and a new style of play. Every player except Comedy Iwobi of course. :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm

He got beat and outplayed by a shite England side who in turn got beat by Iceland.

Who the fcuk is ray wilkerson ?? :? Is he a cricket player ? :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 am

Never heard of either of them :box:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

AKB's have become EOB's

and

WOB's have become EKB's

8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

OneBardGooner wrote:

It’s called opinions mate and whether you agree or not everyone’s allowed it :roll:

I mean it’s not like they’re wishing anyone dead is it (irony) so let everyone have theirs like we put up with yours. :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:41 am

Johnny’s brother so rugger :roll:

Post by 1989 »

flash gunner wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 am
AKB's have become EOB's

and

WOB's have become EKB's

8)
Lol

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

silus wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:

Spot on. Some people need to cheer the fuck up.
I'm BUZZING for the start of the season for the first time in many, many years. That's not going to change whether we spend 50 quid or 50m quid, or whether we sign 7 year olds or 70 year olds.
The club are making steps in the right direction at long last. Let's enjoy it and see what happens ffs.
Exactly...wenger has left the squad in a terrible state, if he had stayed another season fucking Burnley would likely be above us....it will take time to put right....will have to be patient and stick with it.....who they sign will be a marker as to their ambition....