ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Transfers / players in / players out merged thread

Post by Jock Gooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:31 pm
two reports that Wilshire is to be sold to pay for Leno and Torreira- not surprisingly, those showing the most interest are West Ham and Southampton.
He's out of contract come July so we ain't going to get a bean for him if he goes. The papers are saying his wages are about £120k p/w with bonuses so that will cover the wages for one new guy.

Anyone heard anything about the latest offer the club gave Jack. I read somewhere that they upped it to £110k p/w but a good chunk of it remains appearance related. Still a better deal than playing for west sham or palace!

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Leverkusen officially confirm Leno is an Arsenal player.

https://twitter.com/bayer04_en/status/1 ... 2405380096

augie

Post by augie »

I dont claim to be an encyclopedia of knowledge on leno (and the uruguay DM from samp) so I cant say if they are good enough or not, but I am really buzzing that we are finally identifying and tried to improve the positions that have been a weakness for years. I dont know if it is down to emery or our transfer team (or a combination of both), but none of them have been in the club for 12 months yet, and already they have done more than the french c.ock did in the previous 5 seasons :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

MrT

Post by MrT »

The German Szczesny.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Welcome to our new BFG - let's hope you're better than the last one and not a mad fucker like Lehman.

At last we are buying players for the positions we need - wholesale change at the back - roll on August :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

MrT wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:26 pm
The German Szczesny.

Please stop - the guy was virtually an unknown to 99% of Gooners up to couple of months ago, so lets give the guy a chance to show if he is good enough or not, before we throw him under the bus

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Quietly going about our business strengthening the parts of the squad where we are weakest with the minimum of fuss.....and in a World Cup year.

All the old lies, spin and myths from Wenger and the AKBs put to bed that these things should be long, drawn out tedious affairs.

Wenger was the problem and that’s being shown beyond all doubt this summer.

MrT

Post by MrT »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 pm
MrT wrote:
The German Szczesny.

Please stop - the guy was virtually an unknown to 99% of Gooners up to couple of months ago, so lets give the guy a chance to show if he is good enough or not, before we throw him under the bus
He was known to people that don't just follow one league...

He will be given a fair shake but replacing an old error prone keeper with a younger error prone keeper doesn't scream progress. Ask the Leverkusen or Bundesliga fans what they think of him.

augie

Post by augie »

MrT wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 pm
augie wrote:
MrT wrote:
The German Szczesny.

He will be given a fair shake but replacing an old error prone keeper with a younger error prone keeper doesn't scream progress. Ask the Leverkusen or Bundesliga fans what they think of him.

I do follow more than one league, but the bundesliga wasnt one of them (partially due to not having bt sport).

A 34 year old error prone keeper has no scope for improvement cos his best days are long past - leno is a 26 year old keeper yet to hit his prime, so hopefully he is still improving. This will be his first test playing for a proper big club (which we are regardless of recent seasons), and the challenge will either be the making of him, or the breaking of him

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I've not seen him play and only really know of him via football manager and stats etc. A young, highly rated goalkeeper isn't a bad signing at all. I'm very excited to see him play.

Our new goalkeeping coach is supposed to be top draw too, very exciting times.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:

and lets give the coaches a chance to improve him.

Welcome to "jay" :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

It would seem that Arsenal behind the scenes has finally sorted themselves out, the club now has a structure where not one person is bigger than the sum parts (or thinks that).

I've only seen snippets of Leno, but he seems athletic well co-ordinated and has great reflexes. Miles better than Ospina and a now well past his best Cech.

Whilst we are talking about goalkeeping, Chesney was up to his old antics again today made a dreadful mistake vs Senegal.

MrT

Post by MrT »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 pm
MrT wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 pm
augie wrote:
MrT wrote:
The German Szczesny.

I do follow more than one league, but the bundesliga wasnt one of them (partially due to not having bt sport).

A 34 year old error prone keeper has no scope for improvement cos his best days are long past - leno is a 26 year old keeper yet to hit his prime, so hopefully he is still improving. This will be his first test playing for a proper big club (which we are regardless of recent seasons), and the challenge will either be the making of him, or the breaking of him
Fair enough, but we do we have another season(s) to waste on a keeper that will cost us numerous points?

I know everyone is buzzing for a new start with a new team, including myself. But people on here are getting carried away. The signings so far have been extremely underwhelming for a club of our perceived stature. The fact that the club think our 2 worst players last season are integral for next season is worrying, one being offered a new contract and pay rise. Even Chelsea were signing top drawer players the season they finished 10th, what's our excuse?

Club should have gone for Alisson. The fact that the bin dippers have all the time in the world to try and sign him is embarrassing, we should have been straight in there.