The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm
Not gonna lie lads. I'm cheering on Croatia. Not an anti English thing (before Leftytard or SteveOFarage jump in on that :roll: ) its an anti tottnumb thing. Just too many of the cùnts in your team I'm afraid. :censored:

But anyway fuck it I wish you the best of luck as there are one or two sound posters on here that a part of me would like to see celebrate a World Cup win tbh.

Literally only one or two though. :lol: :wink:

What was your attitude to the Irish team when it was riddled with Scum players?
The exact same Joe. I've told the story on here before of how my mate Paulo and I nearly got in a slapping session with an entire stand at Landsdowne because we gave the vermin Keane so much abuse at an Oireland game.

Club before country every day. 8)

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Croatia deserved it.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

What a surprise, a team full of scum players loses in a semi final.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Hard luck lads. A semi final defeat is hard to take.

I think that the media once again put the pressure on but the calls that England are up there again with the best on the back of this tournament are a bit off.

You had a very easy route to the final.

I’m not trying to kick you when you’re down here. Would like hear your thoughts about it.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Think this should put to rest any notion of the likes of Kane, Sterling, Alli being world class as the media will have you believe.
I struggle to think of anything much they have done in the knockout stage, especially Kane who has been largely anonymous.

Yet you just know the likes of Sky will be bigging them up next season. :banghead: :banghead:

To be honest the majority (if not all) our goals came from set pieces and sooner or later you will get found out.
Tough to say but we weren't good enough when it counted.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm

I think that the media once again put the pressure on but the calls that England are up there again with the best on the back of this tournament are a bit off.

I’m not trying to kick you when you’re down here. Would like hear your thoughts about it.
Have to agree with this, the self same pundits and ex-players who were writing England off have suddenly had a change of heart when they had probably one of the easiest routes to a semi-final ever. England played above expectations but realistically they weren't tested very hard up until tonight :rubchin:

As others have said the team is mediocre and it showed tonight, even a Crotia who by rights should have been exhausted in their third extra time match in a row showed far more desire and fight and England as per usual scored an early goal and struggled to push on and kill the game which has been one of their major issues under manager after manager with different sets of players

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

And not having that ball-carrying midfielder came back and bit England in the bum. Our overall ball retention after the first half was poor today. I still think Wilshere would have added a lot to this England side, perhaps even enough to get them over the line into the final.

We came much closer in 90 though. Not sure this is the start of a golden generation. This England side got very lucky with the draw.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 pm
And not having that ball-carrying midfielder came back and bit England in the bum. Our overall ball retention after the first half was poor today. I still think Wilshere would have added a lot to this England side, perhaps even enough to get them over the line into the final.

We came much closer in 90 though. Not sure this is the start of a golden generation. This England side got very lucky with the draw.
Have to agree on Wilshere, he would have been worth a punt and might well have made a difference. Too little return from Lingard and I am fucking sick to my back teeth of the experts having a pop at those who wanted Sterling dropped. The guy wasn't producing so put on somebody else who might do something and don't just stick your head in the sand.

Post by 1989 »

Gutted but proud of the boys.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Cosmiserations to the English fans on the forum, not easy to lose a semi final..Think England were found out tonight, I wouldn't say they were let down by players just the those players were not good enough when the big test came...I felt uneasy looking at or listening to Shearer and Ferdinand last night , their attitude was wrong and it is a problem with the media in general..We have the same here at the sniff of perceived success.
Southgate has come out of the tournament with great credit and dignity. It wasn't to be and I wish England could come home tonight to be with their families and not have to go through this charade of a third place play off. It is meaningless and pointless.

MrT

Post by MrT »

All the pikeys and jocks piping up.

The only time we hear them is when England get knocked out tbf.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Have to agree with this, the self same pundits and ex-players who were writing England off have suddenly had a change of heart when they had probably one of the easiest routes to a semi-final ever. England played above expectations but realistically they weren't tested very hard up until tonight :rubchin:

As others have said the team is mediocre and it showed tonight, even a Crotia who by rights should have been exhausted in their third extra time match in a row showed far more desire and fight and England as per usual scored an early goal and struggled to push on and kill the game which has been one of their major issues under manager after manager with different sets of players
exactly, media before hand were saying how shit we were, and in the last few days have completely changed there tune, also about southgate apparently hes now a genius... Same with the idiot (love him but hes a moron) wrighty on ITV and Neville. Complete circle jerk over how well we have done and how proud we should be. utter bollox.

In the cold light of day, wtf have england actually done other than get thru a piss easy group that they almost fucked up but were saved by a last minute winner against tunisia, and then beating 2 bang average at best teams (one of whichs best player was injured) in the knockout stages, who we would expect to beat in a non world cup situation, and we lost 2 the 2 semi decent teams we played, one of which was 2nd string. basically we achieved nothing more than we expected to simply through the luck of the draw. Yet everyone is now ignoring this.

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

Southgate exposed as 352 merchant. Attacking with 4 forwards getting over run in midfield while you're actually one up in the second half of a world cup semi final is criminal. And fuck this 'build for the future' shit, as if the rest of the world will stand still and any European team will stand a chance playing in the heat of Qatar :banghead: load of bollocks. Should've put 11 men behind the ball like France did. Instead we 'stuck to our game!!!1!' and went toe to toe when we didn't need to, utterly foolish and naive. We've ****ed our best chance at getting to a World cup final in half a century.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Alli was lazy and poor. Kane got slower with each passing game. Sterling has scored two goals in 43 games; another 1,004 games and he'll overtake Rooney. Stones and Maguire always looked to have a defensive fuck-up in them. And when Eric Dier is your best midfield option off the bench then you know you've got probelms.

I'm glad we did better than expected, but the media are already talking about 'restored pride', 'a new dawn', which is bollocks. We're an average team, which got lucky in the draw and made the most of it.

Now for some proper football.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

1989 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 pm
Gutted but proud of the boys.
Honestly what are you proud of?

Beating 2 teams in the knockout stages that we would always be expected to beat, that we were fortunate enough to draw, down to pure luck?

And then losing to the one semi decent team we played in the knockouts? A team who were physically fucked.

SImply cannot understand all this bullshit about proud and how this was an achievement. it wasn't.

We had a huge slice of luck, did what we should have done (would have been slaughtered for losing to either sweden or colombia), and then lost to a good, but not great croatia team who were shagged.

everyone is ignoring the draw.

its exactly like akbs saying what a huge achievement it was us winning the fa cup in 2014 and 2015 when we played utter shite teams along the way.