The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: The ONLY World Cup thread (merged)

Post by Bradywasking »

MrT wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 pm
All the pikeys and jocks piping up.

The only time we hear them is when England get knocked out tbf.
Pikeys ??

Riotof91

Post by Riotof91 »

I don't know how Kane is getting a pass for missing not once, but twice from point blank range. If that was Sterling there'd be bonfires across the country! Ultimately Southgate has to take responsibility for the team not being able to shut up shop, or by the looks of things not even trying to!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm
MrT wrote:

Pikeys ??
Noticed that myself.

Is he calling us Irish “pikeys”?

Maybe a knee jerk reaction to tonight but please explain MrT

augie

Post by augie »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Alli was lazy and poor. Kane got slower with each passing game. Sterling has scored two goals in 43 games; another 1,004 games and he'll overtake Rooney. Stones and Maguire always looked to have a defensive fuck-up in them. And when Eric Dier is your best midfield option off the bench then you know you've got probelms.

I'm glad we did better than expected, but the media are already talking about 'restored pride', 'a new dawn', which is bollocks. We're an average team, which got lucky in the draw and made the most of it.

Now for some proper football.

Pretty much sums it up imo - england had a piss easy run to the semi and fair enough they took advantage of that, but when it comes down to it the lack of genuine top quality was always gonna cost them.

If I was an english fan right now I would be seriously concerned at how the media wankfest has hyped in overdrive in the last 2 weeks - I get that this was great for their country, and I absolutely agree that the country should be behind them, but right now there needs to be a serious reality check. This team is currently short of top quality talent, and hyping this up into "a new dawn" is just building unrealistic expectations and setting them up to fail imo.

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
MrT wrote:

Pikeys ??
Noticed that myself.

And IF he is calling us pikey's, then he is a c.unt that doesnt belong here

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

England looked good for thirty minutes in most of their games in the tournament then fell away and ended up playing hoofball. They were then found wanting at the sharp end of the tournament, leaving their fans disappointed and without winning the main major trophy since the 1960's. Not really a surprise given the number of spuds players in the team.

MrT

Post by MrT »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
MrT wrote:

Pikeys ??
Noticed that myself.

Oh no, the Irish mafia on here are offended, ban incoming lol

I don't need to explain fuck all to you. If you choose to take offence, then that is entirely on you.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

MrT wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
MrT wrote:

Pikeys ??
Noticed that myself.

I don't need to explain fuck all to you. If you choose to take offence, then that is entirely on you.
Learn to take defeat with grace

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

MrT wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
MrT wrote:

Pikeys ??
Noticed that myself.

I get that you are disappointed , as an Arsenal fan I am well used to disappointment ..I offered an objective opinion on tonight's game, you can agree or disagree with that opinion ..At no point In that comment or any comment on this particular thread have I wished bad luck on or insulted England or their supporters.
I can take heated debate, banter, and all else that goes with being a member on this forum. I am not , and neither are most of my countrymen on here, the stereotypical Irish man who blindly hates all things English. As I said in a post this morning I hate hypocrisy in sport as much as I hate bandwagoners and my supporting a team in England's capital while professing to hate all things English would be purely hypocritical. I don't do it..I do feel insulted by your comment but as I said I totally get that you are disappointed tonight.

Post by 1989 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm
1989 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 pm
Gutted but proud of the boys.
Honestly what are you proud of?
Of the fact that for the 1st time in ages, an England team (an unfancied one I may add) went out there in a big tournament and acquitted itself brilliantly. Of the effort, the guts and pride they displayed. Southgate is a bit of a legend for me, don't care what anyone says.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

We looked like Wimboldon. Great 'One' touch football - One thump down the pitch & hope for the best !. For a country with such a small population they produce some top class players. That's why R Madrid, Barca & Juve' come hunting them. I can't see that happening to the likes of Lingard, Stirling, Ali, ect. I think they will beat France - I've got money on it. :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

MrT wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:
MrT wrote:

Pikeys ??
Noticed that myself.

Good man - you are a credit to your country, and a perfect example of evolution and a fine example of a modern human being :roll:

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Beat Tunisia, Panama, Sweden. Drew to Columbia, lost to Belgium & Croatia. The favorable draw really was the reason England got this far. France have beaten Argentina, Uruguay & Belgium to get to the final. Belgium picked u the Brazil scalp. So when you break it down, the results England got were average, although such is tournament football, a good draw goes along way.

I also agree with Roy Keane, John Stones did switch off, & Kyle Walker dithered in defence. If your going to be a team that cant score from open play and only score of set pieces, then you need to keep it tight at the back. Just like Greece in 2004.

England remind of Arsenal - valiant in defeat. Although I guess its a far cry from previous England teams were the 'golden generation' tripped over themselves.

I still think this was Englands best ever chance of winning the world cup, as never again will England have a pathway to the final that is so favorable. This was an opportunity missed. It wasnt just England though, as soon as Russia knocked out Spain, there was going to be one team in the final no one imagined would ever make it this far. Denmark, Columbia, Russia, Switzerland Sweden should also all be kicking themselves. Croatia have really cashed in, & you know what, it really should have been England in the final.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Had England had won, do you reckon Spurs fans would ever have let the world forget that in 2018 both captains of the world cup finalists were Spurs players?

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

John Stones for all his ability on the ball has a nasty habit of switching off. Its one thing to be a casual player who makes the game look effortless, but you wonder if his style makes him vulnerable to switching off. Because it wasnt a uncharacteristic of him - its characteristic of him to switch off. Play of his shoulder & over the 90 minutes he will let you in eventually.