Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: Unai Emery

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm really struggling to warm to him if i'm honest, i'm also struggling to see where he intends to go with things as they are.

We are rightfully wary of a new manager and it will take him time for him to adapt the players to his style and also for him to adapt to the Premier League, but unlike some i will criticise him for not getting it right, and up until now his selection is worrying to say the least. As i mentioned before if it were Wenger we'd be ripping him to pieces so UE does not get a free pass, he needs to learn and learn quick and he keeps repeating the same mistakes at the moment which shows he is not learning.

At the moment the jury is out for me but we seriously need to buck up because if we go to WHL, OT or the Etihad, probably even the Victims, playing the way we are we will get arse raped and i fucking hate admitting that. A win against Cardiff today is nice for momentum but it is nothing more than a win against a relegation fodder team which we should have won much more comfortably than we did.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

My only real criticism of him so far is that he keeps playing Cech ahead of Leno and that Torreira has remained benched behind Xhaka. I think he will start playing Torreira after the break and that his absence has largely been due to Emery being cautious about fatigue but Xhaka’s new contract and Cech continuing to play really concerns me.

Our shape is some way off being right, we still look ropey defensively and we haven’t quite clicked going forward yet. Did anybody expect anything else at this stage with the money we spent?

That was the sort of game we were losing last year. Instead of crumbling we responded well both times. Wasn’t brilliant or faultless by a long chalk but bear in mind we won 4 away games last year.

We’ve got a fortnight off now and same again in October with Europa league and league cup fixtures starting soon. Think we will have a pretty good idea where we are and how he’s doing come January after the league fixtures come thick and fast in November and December.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:34 pm
My only real criticism of him so far is that he keeps playing Cech ahead of Leno and that Torreira has remained benched behind Xhaka. I think he will start playing Torreira after the break and that his absence has largely been due to Emery being cautious about fatigue but Xhaka’s new contract and Cech continuing to play really concerns me.

Our shape is some way off being right, we still look ropey defensively and we haven’t quite clicked going forward yet. Did anybody expect anything else at this stage with the money we spent?

That was the sort of game we were losing last year. Instead of crumbling we responded well both times. Wasn’t brilliant or faultless by a long chalk but bear in mind we won 4 away games last year.

We’ve got a fortnight off now and same again in October with Europa league and league cup fixtures starting soon. Think we will have a pretty good idea where we are and how he’s doing come January after the league fixtures come thick and fast in November and December.

Agree with most of that, but I absolutely agree with the highlighted parts -

It is beyond a disgrace that cech is still number 1 keeper, and even at this early stage, I would be considering my future in the club if I was leno :( Putting him as a back-up to a 36 year old is bad enough, but having him behind a 36 year old who has been shit for the past few seasons, and who continues to show that he is a major weakness in this team, is a serious slap in the face for leno no matter how you look at it.

As I said previously, I do think that xhaka did well today (apart from the first goal), but I also have seen enough of the guy to worry every time he is in the team. That being said, I have said for weeks now that he would make the team if I was picking it now cos I would be going with the 4-3-1-2 formation, and I absolutely believe that he would be a FAR BETTER fit for the midfield 3 (alongside torreira and geundozi) than ramsey is cos ramsey cannot play positionally disciplined football imo

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I would be surprised if he spent 25m of the limited budget on a keeper who he has no intention of playing.

If this was some kind of easing him in so that he didn’t have the humiliation of shipping in goals against Chelsea and city - that’s pathetic. Chelsea have just signed an unproven keeper with a ludicrous price tag. When de Gea signed for United he was flapping for most of a season but they stuck with him and for the last 4 years he has consistently been one of the best few keepers in the world. welcome to this level, it’s sink or swim. If Leno is good he could be our keeper for ten years - let’s not wait ages to find out if that’s the case.

Post by 1989 »

If I was Leno I would look at what I'm doing wrong on the training ground or how shite I must be to not get a look in ahead of a hilariously passed it Cech, before beginning to consider my future as reaction to my situation.

Let's be honest, we didn't sign a world class keeper when we bought Leno. He was below par in his last season at Leverkusen and they were happy to let him go. I would worry that we made a massive mistake here when there was other top class alternatives around, namely Rui Patricio who's excelling at Wolves.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

After the banter era and the shit Wanka left us in the team badly needed reinforcements in key positions. The fabled and much reported miserly 50 million war chest turned out to be true and we were only able to splash the cash on a keeper and defensive midfielder.

And yet, for some inexplicable fucking reason, he refuses to play either of them. We didn’t have 50 million to piss up against the wall on a couple of subs so what was the point?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The start of the cup competitions will give Emery an opportunity to bring in Leno and then we will see if he can keep a clean sheet, If he does he'll be replacing Cech soon. The bit I don't understand is that both mustafi and sokratis are experienced in the german league as is Leno so surely for communication between them should be better.
It does appear that emery is working out the best front three and Ozil, Lacazette and Auba worked effectively. I just wish he started from the back, sort that out and then get the attack right. He does have more trust in the defence than the attack at the moment. January transfer window will be vital defensively.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:10 pm
I'm really struggling to warm to him if i'm honest, i'm also struggling to see where he intends to go with things as they are.

We are rightfully wary of a new manager and it will take him time for him to adapt the players to his style and also for him to adapt to the Premier League, but unlike some i will criticise him for not getting it right, and up until now his selection is worrying to say the least. As i mentioned before if it were Wenger we'd be ripping him to pieces so UE does not get a free pass, he needs to learn and learn quick and he keeps repeating the same mistakes at the moment which shows he is not learning.

At the moment the jury is out for me but we seriously need to buck up because if we go to WHL, OT or the Etihad, probably even the Victims, playing the way we are we will get arse raped and i fucking hate admitting that. A win against Cardiff today is nice for momentum but it is nothing more than a win against a relegation fodder team which we should have won much more comfortably than we did.
Really? I have to admit I'm questioning his thinking on numerous fronts (Cech, Xhaka, playing from the back etc) but I've taken to him straight away. Yesterday the camera panned to him and there he was in the technical area yelling instructions and changing things on the fly doing some mad shit I've heard of called "in game management" and "tactics". :shock:

Not once did he sit there fiddling with a zipper or throw a water bottle about or silently hug himself like a teenaged self harmer.

It was very strange but in a nice way.... :wink:

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Were still a bit rusty. The two wins are good, But we fell behind at home to West Ham, and blew two leads against Cardiff before pulling ahead again.

Its going to time more time for the new signings to settle and for Emery to really make this team his own. Not only that, Emery is still learning his new players.

Agree with Leno replacing Cech. Another moment of madness and he was lucky the Cardiff player skied the chance. Lets not wait for the howler to replace him.

JimmyAFC

Post by JimmyAFC »

You just feel this team under Emery has a better steel about them.

Even when Cardiff scored I was still confident we'd get the job done.

I'm happy with Emery so far.

I want to see Torreira and Leno in for Xhaka and Cech, aside from that I like the make up of the side.

We will see a very good Arsenal within 2 years.

Similar to Klopp.

Emery will get the players he wants, system he wants and we will be a force

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/lo ... chosen-one

Great article about him that's well worth a read.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:11 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Really? I have to admit I'm questioning his thinking on numerous fronts (Cech, Xhaka, playing from the back etc) but I've taken to him straight away. Yesterday the camera panned to him and there he was in the technical area yelling instructions and changing things on the fly doing some mad shit I've heard of called "in game management" and "tactics". :shock:

Not once did he sit there fiddling with a zipper or throw a water bottle about or silently hug himself like a teenaged self harmer.

absolutely agree - can't feel anything but admiration for him so far, he's still learning and showing more initiative than wenger did for years before he left.

unai :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

JimmyAFC wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:00 pm
You just feel this team under Emery has a better steel about them.

Even when Cardiff scored I was still confident we'd get the job done.

I'm happy with Emery so far.

I want to see Torreira and Leno in for Xhaka and Cech, aside from that I like the make up of the side.

We will see a very good Arsenal within 2 years.

Similar to Klopp.

Emery will get the players he wants, system he wants and we will be a force
The same Klopp who just keeps losing final after final for the Mousers? Christ I hope not.

And you were doing so well up to that point Jimmy. :D :wink:

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:31 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:11 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

absolutely agree - can't feel anything but admiration for him so far, he's still learning and showing more initiative than wenger did for years before he left.

unai :barscarf:
Agreed the Cech and Xhaka situations I am baffled with but what I like about Emery is he obviously is pro active on the touchline and plans for all eventualities,like stated 'in game management',which the players will either adapt to or be moved on.I don't expect much this season but what I don't see him allowing to happen is a group of players that don't go out with clear instructions and the unacceptable performances where we have thrown in the towel or felt sorry for ourselves when a decision goes against us...all of which have happened time and again.

Take yesterday it was a game last season we would of dropped two points or maybe even lost,when Cardiff equalized from a farcical free kick award no panic on the touchline or pointless ranting at the fourth official,just instructing the players to move the ball faster and keep pressing Cardiff back.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:50 pm
After the banter era and the shit Wanka left us in the team badly needed reinforcements in key positions. The fabled and much reported miserly 50 million war chest turned out to be true and we were only able to splash the cash on a keeper and defensive midfielder.
...and Sokratis, Lichtsteiner and Guendozi. Sokratis alone was 18 million. Sokratis and Guendozi have started every game.

btw i like the way we took no crap from Cardiff yesterday and committed some smart fouls - Bellends pullback for example.