Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Unai Emery

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'd love to know from the Emery bashers who they would be pulling in instead to manage the club? No saleable assets with any term left on their playing contracts to raise funds (unlike Liverpool, Spurs, United), no mega rich owner prepared to invest in the club (unlike Wolves, Everton, Chelsea, City), and a defence full of 30 somethings?

Genuinely would like to hear from the likes of Sid, as to who can take over this team, sign only loan players for the foreseeable future (a problem created by Wenger and Gazidis), be forced to offload the biggest earners (Ozil, Ramsey) to free up any wage bill space and sustain a challenge for the top 4 and all trophies?

Very easy to slag Dick on the back of December/January results but the honeymoon period and the 22 game unbeaten run are long since over and he now has a mammoth task. I can't think of anyone else in this country who would do a better job, but I've got about as much interest in foreign football as I have in that egg throwing American shite people on here bang on about endlessly.....so happy to hear a few names!

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 am
I'd love to know from the Emery bashers who they would be pulling in instead to manage the club? No saleable assets with any term left on their playing contracts to raise funds (unlike Liverpool, Spurs, United), no mega rich owner prepared to invest in the club (unlike Wolves, Everton, Chelsea, City), and a defence full of 30 somethings?

Genuinely would like to hear from the likes of Sid, as to who can take over this team, sign only loan players for the foreseeable future (a problem created by Wenger and Gazidis), be forced to offload the biggest earners (Ozil, Ramsey) to free up any wage bill space and sustain a challenge for the top 4 and all trophies?

Very easy to slag Dick on the back of December/January results but the honeymoon period and the 22 game unbeaten run are long since over and he now has a mammoth task. I can't think of anyone else in this country who would do a better job, but I've got about as much interest in foreign football as I have in that egg throwing American shite people on here bang on about endlessly.....so happy to hear a few names!
I suppose as one of those that mention NFL here it is to open the eyes of many that can't see where we lay in our owners priorities,very low added to what has gone before a manager and CEO and our real problem at present is the wage bill.

This summer Cech,Lichtsteiner,Welbeck and Ramsey all out of contract and all will be let go so probably a combined 350-400 k a week off the wage bill an Ozil :roll: ,who by the way I don't blame his agent played a blinder getting him that deal.

Next year just Koscielny,Monreal and Jenkinson are out of contract so unless as I said in another post we can bring through a few younger players Mavrapanos,Nelson,ESR and Saka look the only decent bets to me we are fucked unless we can somehow move some players on.

For contracts,Ramsey divides opinion injury prone because of that tackle years ago,we should of sold him in the summer for 40-50m and we would of got it look at market rates Sigurdsson at Everton comparable imo.

For the Ozil deal just look at other renewals Xhaka renewed until 2023 and he will be on north of 100k a week probably 150k the shit show and bad calls I could write about all day,who would take on that contract.....no one.

The only silver lining the new Emirates and Adidas deals that will give us a bit more room on wages.

The club has money and if you hire a manager you have to back him Emery has to be given time,what happens with Ozil who knows unless he fancies a move to China,no club is going to take on that contract without us subsidizing it.Ozil should be starting for me compared to playing Iwobi as an example,but the manager has already had enough of Ozil it seems.

The manager even if we have a dreadful second half of the season will not be sacked,it was always going to be hard to turn the club around and almost everyone on here said the same,so what has changed....maybe the reality of where we are at.

Talk of alternative managers available and willing to work with a limited budget and with players he may not of chosen himself,you narrow the field further like you who is a realistic target Howe,Arteta,Brendan Rogers those are the type who were in the frame before,rather stick with Emery.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Steveo, I honestly dont know who would come in and replace him, just as I didnt know who would replace wenger! but that didnt change the fact that Wenger needed to go!
The “careful what you wish for “ and the “who would replace him “ arguements were used for years by akbs, the result being he was allowed to hang around and divide fans and stink the place out!
Im not not bashing Emery I have no feelings of loathing towards him like I did with Wenger, I just don’t think he is up to the job.
I always said that replacing wenger could take 2,3 or even 4 attempts before we get it right.
If by the end of this season nothing has changed in terms of defence, gameplan and tactics? then to allow Emery to carry on, in my mind would be insane. Im not looking for a miracle, just some indication that he is capable of in time turning things around, but at the minute I dont see it.
There are people on here that want to give him 4 years irrespective of how he is performing now, that’s madness.
For many of us our biggest criticism of wenger was his coaching ability in todays prem lge where every team is organised with a gameplan and set up defensively to do a job depending in the opposition, wenger was intransigent and Emery looks no better, in fact he looks even worse.
We can,t stick with him simply out of gratitude or fear that the next guy might not get it right either.
I know all about our financial restrictions etc but that doesnt excuse what we’ve seen this season, bar a few good performances, but performances no different to what we used to get intermittently from wenger teams.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:04 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

Steveo, I honestly dont know who would come in and replace him, just as I didnt know who would replace wenger! but that didnt change the fact that Wenger needed to go!
The “careful what you wish for “ and the “who would replace him “ arguements were used for years by akbs, the result being he was allowed to hang around and divide fans and stink the place out!
Im not not bashing Emery I have no feelings of loathing towards him like I did with Wenger, I just don’t think he is up to the job.
I always said that replacing wenger could take 2,3 or even 4 attempts before we get it right.
If by the end of this season nothing has changed in terms of defence, gameplan and tactics? then to allow Emery to carry on, in my mind would be insane. Im not looking for a miracle, just some indication that he is capable of in time turning things around, but at the minute I dont see it.
There are people on here that want to give him 4 years irrespective of how he is performing now, that’s madness.
For many of us our biggest criticism of wenger was his coaching ability in todays prem lge where every team is organised with a gameplan and set up defensively to do a job depending in the opposition, wenger was intransigent and Emery looks no better, in fact he looks even worse.
We can,t stick with him simply out of gratitude or fear that the next guy might not get it right either.
I know all about our financial restrictions etc but that doesnt excuse what we’ve seen this season, bar a few good performances, but performances no different to what we used to get intermittently from wenger teams.
Sid - anyone who says they will give Emery 4 years regardless of performance has gone mental, and I definitely would not be in that camp. I think he deserves all of this season and most of next before I will pass judgement. To my mind people making simple comparisons with last season and saying we've only got 2 more points or whatever are missing the point though - I actually thought that we would go backwards in the first season under Emery. Possibly finish as low as 10th. The fact he has tried something different - and whilst Dec/Jan performances have not been good up till then they were better - and outscored Wenger with Wenger players says it all about our previous goon. 22 years he was here and I'm afraid left us in a worse state than when he joined. When that shameless old bastard arrived he had the best goalkeeper and back line in the land, one of the best goalscorers in Wrighty, a worldie in Bergkamp and a decent player in Platt. He then stole a march on English managers by picking the best of French talent through his country knowledge - and we now know how that generation of French players went on to dominate the next 2 tournaments after Wenger joined

Look at what Dick has taken on - can you honestly think he could turn that round in 4-5 months?

What I will say is that after 18-24 months i expect to see much better defensive organisation as he would have had all this season to play with formations, try out kids, change some players over 2-3 windows and work with them extensively for a long period of time. I will be the first to say that if we're still leaking five, six, seven at City, Liverpool or anywhere then maybe it will be time for a change because even Joe Average teams like Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle don't get consistently whalloped in big games like that.....so resources can't be blamed forever. I just think he inherited a losers mentality and some of the most overpaid, cowardly c.unts like Mustafi who need to be driven out of this club forever

I'm sure all of us on here who are old enough to remember GG will remember what he inherited when he took over - a few so called lazy superstars and a bunch of never will be's. He didn't win the League for 3 years and went through a few heartbreaks in those early days as he slowly pushed out the likes of Sansom, Nicholas, Rix etc who were talented players but either getting on or not with the right attitude that he wanted. It wasn't instant gratification at all. Kenny Sansom revealed in his book that at one of the very first meetings with GG he sat them down and said "you're good players - why haven't you won anything?" and basically called out their attitude. Dick needs to sort this lot out too....and I for one think its worth 2 years of trying. No progress at all after 2 years and I'll be calling him out too !

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:07 pm
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Sid - anyone who says they will give Emery 4 years regardless of performance has gone mental, and I definitely would not be in that camp. I think he deserves all of this season and most of next before I will pass judgement. To my mind people making simple comparisons with last season and saying we've only got 2 more points or whatever are missing the point though - I actually thought that we would go backwards in the first season under Emery. Possibly finish as low as 10th. The fact he has tried something different - and whilst Dec/Jan performances have not been good up till then they were better - and outscored Wenger with Wenger players says it all about our previous goon. 22 years he was here and I'm afraid left us in a worse state than when he joined. When that shameless old bastard arrived he had the best goalkeeper and back line in the land, one of the best goalscorers in Wrighty, a worldie in Bergkamp and a decent player in Platt. He then stole a march on English managers by picking the best of French talent through his country knowledge - and we now know how that generation of French players went on to dominate the next 2 tournaments after Wenger joined

Look at what Dick has taken on - can you honestly think he could turn that round in 4-5 months?

What I will say is that after 18-24 months i expect to see much better defensive organisation as he would have had all this season to play with formations, try out kids, change some players over 2-3 windows and work with them extensively for a long period of time. I will be the first to say that if we're still leaking five, six, seven at City, Liverpool or anywhere then maybe it will be time for a change because even Joe Average teams like Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle don't get consistently whalloped in big games like that.....so resources can't be blamed forever. I just think he inherited a losers mentality and some of the most overpaid, cowardly c.unts like Mustafi who need to be driven out of this club forever

I'm sure all of us on here who are old enough to remember GG will remember what he inherited when he took over - a few so called lazy superstars and a bunch of never will be's. He didn't win the League for 3 years and went through a few heartbreaks in those early days as he slowly pushed out the likes of Sansom, Nicholas, Rix etc who were talented players but either getting on or not with the right attitude that he wanted. It wasn't instant gratification at all. Kenny Sansom revealed in his book that at one of the very first meetings with GG he sat them down and said "you're good players - why haven't you won anything?" and basically called out their attitude. Dick needs to sort this lot out too....and I for one think its worth 2 years of trying. No progress at all after 2 years and I'll be calling him out too !
Fully respect and understand every point in your post Steveo, I would prefer to make a call after one season based on some sort of progress, not a turnaround just progess

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

This ^^^^

Dick shouldnt be expected to shit miracles overnight - he inherited a shitfest and in the midst of that shit fest was a core group of players earning too much coin and giving zero fcuks :roll: Most of these players are too far gone imo to ever adapt to a team over individual mindset, so organising them into a well drilled unit will never be done unless fresh talent squeezes those players out

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I think that Emery was always due a rough ride from people who supported Wenger until he left and the mass hysteria that comes with social media. I am not saying that applies to anyone on this forum as we all know where people here were situated with Wenger. Also, I think that there is just too many unrealistic views on how his ideas can be implemented. He has very few players that he trusts and the squad is already threadbare. In central midfield, he literally hasn't any options outside of Xhaka, Dozi, and Torriera. He clearly doesn't rate Elneny (neither did Wenger) and Ramsey is out the door (not that he stayed in position anyway). Because of that, he has had to overplay a 19 year old who realistically shouldn't be playing as much as he has and I seriously doubt that he was purchased with that in mind. Torriera is from a new league and looked shattered recently from being overplayed. Maitland-Niles is listed as a central mid, but because of injuries and the shiteness of Lichtsteiner, he has had to play as a wingback. So we have a depth issue in midfield.

Emery came in saying that he wanted a pressing side which we have seen sometimes, but we also have only a handful of players from the front who have bought into it - Iwobi, Lacazette and Miki. Aubemayang is a great scorer, but if I am honest, his workrate stinks (in other words, he ain't going to press). Welbeck did press, but he is now out for the season (and for good as he is on too much money). We all know about Ozil. The man is a coaster, will never adapt and shows up when he wants. Miki is injured, so we are left with playing Aubameyang out of position and Iwobi, who actually hasn't been as bad as people here say that he has been. He is improved from last year. He may never reach the heights, but he is a good squad player.

Emery is trying to play somewhat differently than what he initially intended, for certain, which has led to some turgid football, but a lot of the blame needs to go to Stan, Wenger and Gazidis for their gross incompetance of the last 5 years (Wenger for a lot longer). Emery can shoulder some of the blame for what looks like a disjointed playing style and the poor results. Like it or not, we are a club in serious transition because of the mismanagement on the playing side and that will continue until the higher earners are out of the club and we start promoting within, which is what I think that the business model is - right or wrong. I think that we will see high turnover this summer as well and next year will be probably a playing style more akin to what Emery had in mind.

I don't think that we can realistically expect him to come in and pull up trees without the ability to bring players in and shift out the dross. In fact, I think that given the circumstances, even Klopp, Guardiola, or Fergie in his prime would stuggle with this Arsenal team. Not only that, but I doubt that you would have had loads of quality managers queueing up to take on the role given the modus operandi of trimming the wage budget and rebuilding with no money. Emery probably had no idea what a task he had trying to get his best players to be professional and another (Ramsey) not to run all over the pitch like a headless chicken with no positional awareness. I don't want to keep blaming Wenger, but that was the football that he liked to play and some players became institutionalized. Interesting that Ramsey had a contract all but signed until Gazidis was out the door. That tells you all that you need to know about the incompetance involved.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Steve, it would take a complete retard to finish 10th with our squad :lol:

As EVERYONE on here has stated we have upgraded in the DM position that was so lacking and the CB position which also needed addressing and a young talented midfielder in doozi.

So with a better squad we look worse imo, I will give dick more time because I have no choice but he is showing huge flaws in his starting 11 decisions.

It's going to be a long road regardless, something I've been used to as a gooner.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Look at United today - they have just drawn level with us after 5 league wins on the bounce.

To put it into perspective, they have some very exciting fast young players in Rashford, Martial and Lingard. The most expensive player in the league in Pogba. A proven PL winning quality CM in Matic, a plethora of 30m+ defenders and probably the best keeper on the planet.

People were up in arms because we only drew with them there (they’ve lost about PL 3 games out of 60 at home, 2 of those against City) yet being honest their squad is miles better than ours. We’ve got absolute garbage on our bench whilst they have multi-million players like Fellaini, Mata and Lukaku.

Alarmingly few people realise how shit our squad actually is and how shit our prospects are given that we have no money to spend whilst Chelsea can’t give Kovacic a game and spend a fortune on a kid from Dortmund with two Bundesliga goals this year who won’t even join until summer.

Fucking wake up. Anybody expecting the last 8-10 years of farce under Wenger not to have done massive long-term damage to the club is ducking dreaming.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:16 pm
Look at United today - they have just drawn level with us after 5 league wins on the bounce.

To put it into perspective, they have some very exciting fast young players in Rashford, Martial and Lingard. The most expensive player in the league in Pogba. A proven PL winning quality CM in Matic, a plethora of 30m+ defenders and probably the best keeper on the planet.

People were up in arms because we only drew with them there (they’ve lost about PL 3 games out of 60 at home, 2 of those against City) yet being honest their squad is miles better than ours. We’ve got absolute garbage on our bench whilst they have multi-million players like Fellaini, Mata and Lukaku.

Alarmingly few people realise how shit our squad actually is and how shit our prospects are given that we have no money to spend whilst Chelsea can’t give Kovacic a game and spend a fortune on a kid from Dortmund with two Bundesliga goals this year who won’t even join until summer.

Fucking wake up. Anybody expecting the last 8-10 years of farce under Wenger not to have done massive long-term damage to the club is ducking dreaming.

I agree with much of that, but the subs bench manure had yesterday wasnt that impressive yesterday - fellani might well have cost a sizeable amount but that doesnt mask the fact that he is shit, lukaku is the fattest centre forward in the top division since micky quinn, and mata is considerably past his best.

There are two main differences between the manure performances - (1) they are playing with such freedom and happiness now that the portugese w.anker is no longer manager, and they would run through brick walls at the mo (2) manure players know that there is a wealth of money to spend by their club, so if they still aint performing under a second manager, then they know that the club would have them out on their ear in no time at all. There is no motivation better than self-preservation for current players, and for multiple reasons our players dont have that pressure hanging over tham.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

He needs time and patience

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Very good posts here lately! For me, the thing is that no matter what happens I will support Emery 100% for at least three transfer windows and at least two full seasons. To be fair, his first transfer window was mainly successfull and we will improve next summer more. We are not going to recruit world class players for sure but my hope lies in selling the dross, releasing sufficient funds to be invested much more wisely. Add to that new deal with Adidas. We have the people who can manage this task and we need to trust them for now.

But regarding Emery. I’m glad he has at least tried something different with different formatioms etc. But, I am very worried about our defence as I can’t see basically any improvements there - even if we have Sokratis who is very capable defender. Don’t really know why is this, why we still see same problems over and over again. Is it because Emery tries to upkeep the myth about Arsenal way, artistical attacking play with high tempo and flair? Is he trying to continue to play the game Wenger style? I reall don’t know. But, if I were the manager I would shut down the defence and park the bus if needed. Whatever to stop us conceding so much. So, in that perspective I’m a bit worried and disappointed about the situation.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Ed Hunter The Gooner wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 am
Very good posts here lately! For me, the thing is that no matter what happens I will support Emery 100% for at least three transfer windows and at least two full seasons. To be fair, his first transfer window was mainly successfull and we will improve next summer more. We are not going to recruit world class players for sure but my hope lies in selling the dross, releasing sufficient funds to be invested much more wisely. Add to that new deal with Adidas. We have the people who can manage this task and we need to trust them for now.

But regarding Emery. I’m glad he has at least tried something different with different formatioms etc. But, I am very worried about our defence as I can’t see basically any improvements there - even if we have Sokratis who is very capable defender. Don’t really know why is this, why we still see same problems over and over again. Is it because Emery tries to upkeep the myth about Arsenal way, artistical attacking play with high tempo and flair? Is he trying to continue to play the game Wenger style? I reall don’t know. But, if I were the manager I would shut down the defence and park the bus if needed. Whatever to stop us conceding so much. So, in that perspective I’m a bit worried and disappointed about the situation.
Agreed and so should everyone else. This is not of Emerys making. He is having to use what he has been left.
Look how long it has taken Klopp to get LIverpool where they are now.
Emery needs us to support him and the team, not slaughter them even if we know some need to be moved on.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:23 am
He needs time and patience
Flash knows :barscarf:

phpBB [video]

But it's gonna take money
A whole lotta spending money
It's gonna take plenty of money
To do it right child

It's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time,
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right child

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

The players Emery took over from Wenger

Cech Over the hill
Bellerin i dont get the Bellerin love in.He is a defender but he cant defend
Monreal used to be mr consistent but age and injuries have caught up with him
Mustafi a pile of shit. £35m flushed down the toilet
Holding: May turn out to be good but the jury is still out
Koscielny never the best but a reliable defender. He's finished
Kolašinac forget him bombing forward his job is to defend.He cant
Xhaka A truly terrible player another £35m wasted
Elneny: Why is he still a the club
Ramsey Overhyped inconsistent injury prone
Ozil Lazy "injury prone" £350k a week £18m a year.The train robbers got 30 years for nicking less
Mkhitaryan he was shite at United so some bright spark thought lets give him £200k a week.Out of the same box as Ozil
Iwobi A headless chicken.Not good enough
Welbeck Injury prone at United injury prone at Arsenal
Lacazette: Seems to be moody that he is not the number one striker
Abumeyang: top goalscorer but sometimes you think he plays for himself

So there you have it Emery was left one top class player. Other than the strikers none of them would get in any of the other top 6 teams.Yet we are expecting him to get us in the top 4. Give Pep or Klopp that squad with nothing to spend and see what they could do with it.
Last edited by Ernie71 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.