Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
oaodan

Re: Unai Emery

Post by oaodan »

I would say that blaming Wenger for Lacazettes hissy fit 18 months after Wenger left is more disturbing. Fuck sake,time to move on and put some responsibility on current management.

General

Post by General »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm
SteveO that’s a pretty balanced view, and I think that a lot of the people who were banging on about what a huge job and long-term project it would be to turn this mess around have completely forgotten that.

I think that Emery has done some pretty good things, and he is a very likeable bloke. But I just can’t my head around how a serious manager can pick Xhaka every week and make him captain. And I can’t see any improvement in our defence, or any sort of strategy or identity. The Ozil situation is also a farce - if he has decided that he isn’t any good for the team (and I defend his right to do that) then he should have ensured he was flogged and publicly hung him out to dry if needed. Just staying silent and refusing to answer questions about it is a poor strategy and has had the inevitable result of people pining for Ozil and remembering him as being far better than he was over the last 2 years.

Let him see out the season and appoint somebody else. Truth be told, we will go nowhere until we seriously improve defensively and discipline-wise - a short-term appointment like an Ancelotti could set a really decent foundation over 2 years or so.
Agreed. I like Emery because he is sincere but he was always going to be swimming against the tide as Wonga’s successor. However, he completely misjudged the situation with Xhaka. He is too divisive a player to thrust him into limelight as captain but one must remember that he wore the armband under Wenger, often deputising for Koscielny and Cech. There is a long-standing leadership vacuum at this club which has been growing increasingly wide every season so Emery wasn’t exactly spoilt for choice. In this regard, I have some sympathy but I read a curious quote when he made the appointment about changing public opinion on Xhaka as if it was some PR exercise. This is a serious sport and I thought Emery handled the whole issue rather naively, not to mention the timing of substitution last Sunday which led to this whole farce showed a terrible error of judgement his part.

Xhaka effectively cost Wenger his job and at this rate Emery would go the same way. The majority of the fanbase have reached breaking point after years of putting up with utter dross. This is Arsene Wenger’s legacy really. The transfer window where we acquired Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez for a combined fee of nearly £100m set this club back several years.

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm
Football London: #AFC squad struggling to grasp Emery’s instructions with young players particularly perplexed by a manager that some are understood to feel engages with them too infrequently and without the clarity they require at an early age.
https://t.co/bHsaIV9xWn

He's not coaching the under 14 team ffs :roll: To listen to the people writing that piece you would think that he is dealing with rookie kids who need the noses cleaned and their arses wiped :oops:
I would actually go further and say that in the vast majority of clubs, it is the coaches that do the coaching and dealing with the players, not the manager. I want a change of manager too, but frankly it is getting beyond pathetic how the anti emery people are trying to use stupid things like his accent and poor English to use it to undermine him

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

need the noses cleaned and their arses wiped
To be fair that comment is accurate for all our snowflakes I think!! :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Look forward to tonight's comments on here

Ozil plays well - Emery's a clown who should have played him all season

Ozil plays badly - Emery's a clown and his tactics don't suit Ozil and he's ruined his confidence

Blim

Post by Blim »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:41 am
Look forward to tonight's comments on here

Ozil plays well - Emery's a clown who should have played him all season

Ozil plays badly - Emery's a clown and his tactics don't suit Ozil and he's ruined his confidence
:lol:
Sounds about right.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Can't say I want to see Mourhino as Arsenal manager, but it would be very Mourinho thing to do to bring European Cup* success to Arsenal - something Wenger was never able to do.

The sort of shithousery, such as attempting to acheive something Wenger failed to do and be 'the guy' to bring X and Y back to the club after such a long time, would be interesting.

But.....Mourinho at Arsenal :worried:

*European Cup doesn't necessarily mean Champions League.

augie

Post by augie »

Emery's substitutions today were ridiculous/brainless - the man has to go

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

No fucking idea, no tactical awareness, fucking stupid changes, no game management. It's like having the old cûnt on the sidelines again. Just sack the prick now.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

One of the saving graces for wanker was grabbing a win when the knives were being sharpened, Emery can't even manage that. No win in our last 3(and two of them were at home) Haven't grabbed back to back wins since August. Won every game in the league by a single goal. The writing is on the wall but the club won't act. I'm actually reaching the stage were i'm not arsed to watch us anymore, this is Wenger part 2.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I see a lot of insecurity in this manager, he seems incapable of being decisive when it matters and by some accounts lacks authority off the pitch. It is worrying and the current trend needs to change, if i'm honest i don't know where he goes from here.

Ozil is only part of the puzzle, he wasn't terrible today but didn't massively improve us either, Xhaka is a problem he can't hide from but how he resolves it is anyones guess so i'd bury it, our defence is a shambles and needs immediately addressing, the midfield is often non-existent and our attacks too often peter out for various reasons.

There are too many issues currently and for me i'd have more respect if he'd blatantly go out his way to address at least one even if it is to the detriment of others, our goal difference after 11 matches is +1, scored 16 conceded 15 we need to stop conceding before anything else, how many games have we led this season and ended up drawing or even losing.

Sort the defence Mr Emery, screw the rest of it, fans will notice if we stop playing like a leaky sieve and you will get a bit more time if nothing else, fans want results and 1-0 is 1-0, this is the Arsenal many of us can still remember the days when '1-0 to the Arsenal' was almost like a badge of honour we loved because it especially got up the nose of other teams fans.

augie

Post by augie »

Thing I can never understand or accept is what makes these players feel that they have earned the right to strut around and be disrespectful to the manager and club ? Are they serial winners ? Most certainly not. How many would be wanted by the top clubs if they were put up for sale in the morning ? Maybe one or two I would say at most. Yet these c.unts think they have earned to right to point the finger at the manager and put all the blame on him :roll:

I continue to say that I know we need a new manager NOW, but I will also say that there are a few players that need to be sent on their way too :evil:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:15 pm
No fucking idea, no tactical awareness, fucking stupid changes, no game management. It's like having the old cûnt on the sidelines again. Just sack the prick now.
Maybe this Fan should sit dick down and explain it to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UmBHE7cqU

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Take Auba’s goals out of the equation and we’re firmly in the relegation zone.

That’s how shit a job this fuckwit is doing.

Give him time??? He’d fucking relegate is in 3 season FFS :banghead:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:03 pm
Thing I can never understand or accept is what makes these players feel that they have earned the right to strut around and be disrespectful to the manager and club ? Are they serial winners ? Most certainly not. How many would be wanted by the top clubs if they were put up for sale in the morning ? Maybe one or two I would say at most. Yet these c.unts think they have earned to right to point the finger at the manager and put all the blame on him :roll:

I continue to say that I know we need a new manager NOW, but I will also say that there are a few players that need to be sent on their way too :evil:
I completely agree Augie but it's always easier to get rid of one man than many, we live in a new age of player power these days where their value is more important than anything else and they all know it. Sidelining 3 or 4 disruptive players is potentially more damaging value wise as their perceived value drops than it is to pay off one managers contract. More modern football bollocks brought about by dodgy agents, greedy players and over the top TV revenues